SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

UND starts school on Tuesday. He needs to decide by then to get admitted, enrolled in classes, etc.

Also, the interview was from Thursday. He must have found out Friday and let UND know. He cannot sit around and wait for a school that starts later because if he does not get admitted he will not play at all next season.

It usually isn't real hard to pull a few strings to make sure an athlete gets admitted especially at a major school and if the athlete has had decent grades at a previous college. I would be very surprised if Shanks wasn't admitted to Minnesota although the opportunity to play right away would probably be higher at UND and there would be a guarantee of a scholarship from UND while he would have to earn it at Minnesota.

Is there any way that he can attend classes here and then they get it all figured out at the U of M and he is finally admitted there he leaves here this semester and attends the U of M? Basically we are his safety option. Someone over on gopherhole mentioned something like this.

Is there any way that he can attend classes here and then they get it all figured out at the U of M and he is finally admitted there he leaves here this semester and attends the U of M? Basically we are his safety option. Someone over on gopherhole mentioned something like this.

Not sure about that. If it is as a walkon at both I would think he might be able to do that, although if he starts practicing with UND that could be something that changes it. Also, same thread on gopherhole, someone said they had a source saying Shanks is going to UND, as a walk-on (I would assume if that is the case it would be on scholarship next year).

Gopherhole is thinking that he is coming here now as well. If he does end up here I would assume that Cashman will redshirt for sure if he wasn't going to already. Geno looks like he might be a steal but I just can't justify letting him play next year after seeing Hooker play right away.

In looking at gopher hole, a poster said that Ryan James (some guy who reports on U of M athletics apparantly) has said shanks was denied admission to U of M. So as long as he can gain admission here, he will be suiting up next season (January). Don't know much about him, but there's always a place for a seven footer on your basketball team.

On Gopherhole a poster said Ryan James who is a MN recruiting expert and usually very accurate said that Shanks was denied admission to Minnesota and it sounds like it is harder to get a walk-on in if they don't meet the requirements. Probably not a big loss for Minnesota since they will still have 2 senior C's next year but could be a huge gain for UND at the start of the conference season next year.

NDSU did not offer out of HS that I'm aware of. Sounds like Utah St really tried hard to get him to stay and he has improved significantly. Would be curious why NDSU wasn't interested, they will be sorely lacking any inside presence. The Bismarck kid will never play an impact role at the D1 level and they're only other returning big in Kading is there to steal minutes only.

While I agree NDSU needs big men for next year, but I think you are getting way too excited over Shanks. 7 footers with skills don't end up at mid or low majors. If he was that good, the U of M would have offered a scholarship and gotten him admitted. He could very well be a Calcaterra or Salmonson, just 3 inches taller. I have seen a few 6-11 or 7 footers come through the BSA in the last 6 or 7 years, and only one had any skills at all, Keith Benson at Oakland.

While I agree NDSU needs big men for next year, but I think you are getting way too excited over Shanks. 7 footers with skills don't end up at mid or low majors. If he was that good, the U of M would have offered a scholarship and gotten him admitted. He could very well be a Calcaterra or Salmonson, just 3 inches taller. I have seen a few 6-11 or 7 footers come through the BSA in the last 6 or 7 years, and only one had any skills at all, Keith Benson at Oakland.

Offers from USC, Nebraska, Utah, CSU, UNI, Drake and UND just a year ago. Tim Miles recruited him at both CSU and NU. Some big names that thought there was something worth pursuing with him. There was a little more to the UofM thing than how simple you are making it from what I have heard, but a scholarship was never on the table for him there right away anyway. They very much wanted him to walk-on this year and earn a scholarship though. Do not know exactly what he is getting from UND, but quite certain they are full on scholarships for this year. Time will tell how he will turn out, but more than happy to have him at UND. Can't teach height and not alot of it to go around, particularly at the low/mid-major level. Not really going out on a limb, but Hooker picking UND last year can be tied to Shanks picking UND to transfer to, though not the only reason of course.

Did anybody say he was the next Rik Smits? He is 7' tall and fairly athletic. There isn't a mid-to-lower level team in the country that wouldn't love to have him.

Then again, NDSU has Dexter Werner so I understand your point.

Any updates on this recruit? Classes started today. Is he registered and attending class? I know he redshirted first semester, but could he possibly play this semester? Would help to solidify Big Sky schedule and then red shirt him for first 1/2 next season. OOC games in Nov.-Dec next year are less important than conference games. Might he be the piece of the puzzle to help win the Conference tournament this year?

Any updates on this recruit? Classes started today. Is he registered and attending class? I know he redshirted first semester, but could he possibly play this semester? Would help to solidify Big Sky schedule and then red shirt him for first 1/2 next season. OOC games in Nov.-Dec next year are less important than conference games. Might he be the piece of the puzzle to help win the Conference tournament this year?

He cannot play this semester, he has to sit a year because he is transferring. I believe he will be eligible for 3.5 seasons starting whenever the Fall 2014 semester ends (provided we are following the Dyer situation from last year on the women's side but with the NCAA who knows). He won't be able to help the team this year sadly.

He cannot play this semester, he has to sit a year because he is transferring. I believe he will be eligible for 2.5 seasons starting whenever the Fall 2014 semester ends (provided we are following the Dyer situation from last year on the women's side but with the NCAA who knows). He won't be able to help the team this year sadly.

It should be 3.5 years.