SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

We have 3 on board (Geno, Shanks, and Cashman) and 4 more to give. Roster for next year

Guards

Antwi (Sr)

Stefan (Sr)

Tyler (Jr)

Benton (Jr)

Hobaugh (Jr)

Blake (So)

Hooker (So)

Geno (Fr)

Expecting that Tyler will run the point with Hooker playing the 2 (or flip flopping), Stefan getting most of the minutes at the 2 and 3 spot as well. Antwi getting more minutes at 1 and 2 as well. While not as perilous as the front court, we still need 2 more guys to fill out. This is where I would go to get a transfer with a redshirt available if possible (looking for a shooing guard or small forward). I would go for another high school prospect at the point or shooting guard that I would redshirt if available.

Forwards/Centers

Salmonson (Sr)

Calcaterra (Sr)

Cashman (Fr)

Shanks (RFr)

We still need to bolster our front court with 2 more recruits. It would be nice to get another stretch 4 that can hit from outside and I would also like to see them take a chance on a 4 or 5 and try and build them up. I personally see 1 more HS recruit that is a forward and then a JUCO to fill it out.

What the class breakdown would be in my senario

SR: 5

JR: 3 (JUCO)

SO: 3 (my transfer with redshirt potential)

FR: 5 (2 high school recruits added)

Logical scenario or too far fetched?

• Upvote 1

We have 3 on board (Geno, Shanks, and Cashman) and 4 more to give. Roster for next year

Guards

Antwi (Sr)

Stefan (Sr)

Tyler (Jr)

Benton (Jr)

Hobaugh (Jr)

Blake (So)

Hooker (So)

Geno (Fr)

Expecting that Tyler will run the point with Hooker playing the 2 (or flip flopping), Stefan getting most of the minutes at the 2 and 3 spot as well. Antwi getting more minutes at 1 and 2 as well. While not as perilous as the front court, we still need 2 more guys to fill out. This is where I would go to get a transfer with a redshirt available if possible (looking for a shooing guard or small forward). I would go for another high school prospect at the point or shooting guard that I would redshirt if available.

Forwards/Centers

Salmonson (Sr)

Calcaterra (Sr)

Cashman (Fr)

Shanks (RFr)

We still need to bolster our front court with 2 more recruits. It would be nice to get another stretch 4 that can hit from outside and I would also like to see them take a chance on a 4 or 5 and try and build them up. I personally see 1 more HS recruit that is a forward and then a JUCO to fill it out.

What the class breakdown would be in my senario

SR: 5

JR: 3 (JUCO)

SO: 3 (my transfer with redshirt potential)

FR: 5 (2 high school recruits added)

Logical scenario or too far fetched?

Where are the other scholarships coming from? You are allowed 13 in Mens Basketball.

I figure Geno may red-shirt next year with Tyler, Hooker, Antwi and Stefen back but then again I thought Hooker should have red-shirted this year and he didn't.

Hooker came in without a lot more accolades and offers coming out of high school than Geno. The plan coming in with Hooker was to redshirt him but he obviously proved in practice that they couldn't redshirt him because he was going to help us make a push for the Big Sky title. I think he has really improved through the season and seems to have gained a lot of confidence with his shot.

Hooker came in without a lot more accolades and offers coming out of high school than Geno. The plan coming in with Hooker was to redshirt him but he obviously proved in practice that they couldn't redshirt him because he was going to help us make a push for the Big Sky title. I think he has really improved through the season and seems to have gained a lot of confidence with his shot.

Don't disagree Hooker has done better as of late but he is only averaging 4.6 points/game and I believe between Anderson, Webb, Antwi and Schuler those points could have easily been produced in the 16+ minutes a game he is playing and we would have had him for 4 full years where he would have been utilized much more.

• Upvote 1

Don't disagree Hooker has done better as of late but he is only averaging 4.6 points/game and I believe between Anderson, Webb, Antwi and Schuler those points could have easily been produced in the 16+ minutes a game he is playing and we would have had him for 4 full years where he would have been utilized much more.

Unfortunately that's what not redshirting is..... trading your best year for your worst. I think he looks very serviceable out there and I think it is good experience for the future, he just won't have the career numbers he would have otherwise had.

Trading your best year for your worst year...sort of a fallacy. Your trade your worst year for a little bit better year. Add a little muscle, practice with the team, and get use to academics but still have to play the games to really get better whether that's true freshman or redshirt freshman.

We have scholarship $ to address many of our needs for next year. Has anyone seen potential recruits at any of our games? If not, I am surprised - and a little concerned!

I believe I have seen some recruits at some games recently but not exactly sure who they may be. Seems some young looking players have been hanging around near the locker room after some games. The coaches just may be holding off offering some scholarships if they can't land some major players and save some for next years class so we don't have a situation like this year where they have 7 scholarships in one class.

I believe I have seen some recruits at some games recently but not exactly sure who they may be. Seems some young looking players have been hanging around near the locker room after some games. The coaches just may be holding off offering some scholarships if they can't land some major players and save some for next years class so we don't have a situation like this year where they have 7 scholarships in one class.

OK - glad to hear that you have seen some potential recruits. I hope some of them were in the 6'4" to 6'8" range. We desparately need help at the 3 and 4!

And of course they can always go after any one who transfers from other programs at the end of the year if they so choose (they have to sit a year, but it would help the balance of the classes that way too)

OK - glad to hear that you have seen some potential recruits. I hope some of them were in the 6'4" to 6'8" range. We desparately need help at the 3 and 4!

I would think with his inside-outside game, Cashman can play a little bit at the 4.

I was concerned at the end of last year in what we would bring in, but as of right now I feel a lot better. Not saying we are perfect, but we are a lot better right now then we were 6 months ago.

I would think with his inside-outside game, Cashman can play a little bit at the 4.

I was concerned at the end of last year in what we would bring in, but as of right now I feel a lot better. Not saying we are perfect, but we are a lot better right now then we were 6 months ago.

I really believe we are sitting real good for next year. With Tyler, Hooker, Stefen and Cashman starting I think we are really strong with those 4. Antwi, Benton, Hobaugh, Salmonson and Calcaterra will bring us good support off the bench. The only question is who is going to play the 4. This group mentioned I believe will play much better together and less selfish as we have seen in the last 4 years which should make them better.

I really believe we are sitting real good for next year. With Tyler, Hooker, Stefen and Cashman starting I think we are really strong with those 4. Antwi, Benton, Hobaugh, Salmonson and Calcaterra will bring us good support off the bench. The only question is who is going to play the 4. This group mentioned I believe will play much better together and less selfish as we have seen in the last 4 years which should make them better.

And then getting Shanks for the 2nd half of next year for nearly all of conference play will help too.

You don't think Cashman should redshirt?

With regard to redshirting, I was trying to think of UND players from the past who redshirted for reasons other than injury and who went on to have productive careers. Obviously Wilmer, Brekke and Schuler did, but you almost have to disregard redshirting during the transition as that was a unique situation with very limited post season opportunities and very little to play for in the Great West.

In terms of perimeter players, I believe Mike Boschee, Jeff Brandt and Mike Johnson all did. In terms of bigs, Chris Gardner, Todd Rypkema and Evan Lindahl all did (I think). I'm sure I'm missing some, but the successful use of a redshirt year seems to have been pretty rare, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. If there's a decent chance a kid can contribute as a true freshman, he's unlikely to redshirt.

With regard to redshirting, I was trying to think of UND players from the past who redshirted for reasons other than injury and who went on to have productive careers. Obviously Wilmer, Brekke and Schuler did, but you almost have to disregard redshirting during the transition as that was a unique situation with very limited post season opportunities and very little to play for in the Great West.

In terms of perimeter players, I believe Mike Boschee, Jeff Brandt and Mike Johnson all did. In terms of bigs, Chris Gardner, Todd Rypkema and Evan Lindahl all did (I think). I'm sure I'm missing some, but the successful use of a redshirt year seems to have been pretty rare, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. If there's a decent chance a kid can contribute as a true freshman, he's unlikely to redshirt.

Add Patrick Mitchell to your list.

But as you said, he was part of the transition. If I recall, he redshirted the final year of DII, and then was a 4 year starter during the DI transition purgatory years.