SiouxSports.com Forum

2013-2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

i think the future of the basketball program is bright. i really like the guys coming in. even though most are expecting the team to be down in the big sky next year, i think they will be around 3rd or 4th for most of the year next year. i think the post play could only get better (because it was not existent this year) and that will add a lot of balance. hooker will have a year of experience under his belt, tyler should provide some scoring, and more playing time for stefan will help his shooting. hopefully we can get some production from shanks (which i fully expect) in Jan. also, i don't think the team chemistry was that great with this years senior class to the point where it would get frustrating to watch. i think that will change next season.

Has this been confirmed to the degree that we can add him to Wiki?

He was listed as 6'4" and 143 lbs as a junior. Sources have him at either 6'7" or 6'8" now but I can't find a weight anywhere?

He tweeted "it's official" with a UND logo on it. Also has #UND18 on his profile.

Shanks tweeted earlier today welcoming him to the UND family.

Geno put up better overall numbers last season than De running mate Jarvis Johnson who holds offers from Mich St. Marquette and MN. Geno started school a year early and picked up 3-4 inches prior to his senior year. Would have been a high major recruit with another prep/AAU seasaon under his belt. Still he needs to fill out and improve his outside shooting to star at D1 level. He is fast, quick, nice hops, very good passer and great handles. Since UND has a solid guard core next season Geno could redshirt , build his strength up ect. but he is also ready to help out some right away Shanks was worked out by Pitino and was offered a preferred walk on spot at MN. He only averaged 10pts and 6 boards a game for a solid Prior Lake team and likely remains a project. Since UND has little production at the 5 he could start next season but not likely to put up good numbers until later in his career.

I am really excited about this class of freshman coming in. I believe that they are all fairly raw and could be considered projects but that is what you get when you are a mid-major team. It should be fun watching Shields, Crandall and Cashman develop together over the next 4 or 5 years.

Does anyone know if our recruiting for next season is complete, or are we still looking? I'm assuming that we haven't heard back from the NCAA on the Nash appeal. Will that affect future recruiting for next season?

We are still looking.

Looks like Leach is likely to commit - has his interest in us as "High" on rivals (although we are the only team listed, so maybe a no-brainer).

http://sports.yahoo....an-Leach-155558

Leach averaged just under 16 last year (25 minutes/game): 55% FG (very good), 38% on 3s and 72% from the line. Must not be very physical - only 21 fouls in 30 games. Good assist:turnover ratio.

While it appears that Leach could be a contributor, I sure wish we could find someone to help at the 4!

Handles the ball well in the paint, it seems?

Also has a big body , someone that can take a hit and still finish around the rim. Competition is the video is very poor at best so it will be interesting what he can do at the D1 level. Shot reminds me of Webbs.

I am really excited about this incoming freshman class. It seems like a group that should all redshirt and put on some weight but the athleticism from Shields and Crandall is outstanding. Should be fun watching them develop over the next 4-5 years.