SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

I was trying to throw Bjugstad a bone- he did score 25 goals last year and has a knack for the net down low.

There is no real comparison between an NHL all-star, conn smythe winning, arguably best two-way center in the NHL and a college kid with potential.

What always stood out to me on JT in college, was not his hands per se, but rather his perfect positional play and excellent all around skill. Not saying he couldn't shoot (ask Frazee at the WJC) or wasn't a great passer...he had all of the tools.

What stands out to me on Bjugstad is that he has great hands and a big body. Maybe its because it is unexpected or because Toewser did everything so well that it makes Bjugstad's hands stand out to me.

Bjugstad will be a very good NHL player, I believe. But I he'll never be what Toews is....as far as all around player...face of the league, etc. Bjugstad probably has a few 30 goal seasons in him with that heavy shot and size.

I agree that Bjugstad will be a very good NHL player

Bjugstad will be a very good NHL player, I believe. But I he'll never be what Toews is....as far as all around player...face of the league, etc. Bjugstad probably has a few 30 goal seasons in him with that heavy shot and size.

Agree. Toews will arguably be the greatest NHLer ever to have played college hockey.

Berry is our counter to Guentzel!

Only, we don't have quite as much room for improvement, after all Cary Eades is no John Hill. Out of respect for Cary, mentioning them in the same sentence seems very odd.

Not sure why you think that. He produced big time in high school, went straight to the USHL and led in playoff scoring, then had over 40 pts as a frosh. Why is he overrated?

I agree with Mariucci on this one... Rau gave UND fits last year and has talent in spades.

Rau may not ever skate in the NHL, but he has skill. He is another guy with a nose for the net...some guys, loose pucks just find their sticks when goalies are out of position.

Yeah Im certainly not convinced he'll play in the NHL but he's one heck of a college player, at least so far. Spehar had a a great freshman season as well so you never know.

Zemgus Girgensons signed with the Buffalo Sabres. That's a blow to Vermont. Even if the kid would've most likely been a one and done.

Schlossman says he'll most likely end up in the CHL. :glare:

Zemgus Girgensons?! That's one heck of a name!

I hate to give a gopher player too much credit, but Rau was tremendous for them. Got underneath the skin of other players, scored some pretty big goals, and had a great freshman year.

If Grimaldi has the type of Freshman year that Rau had I think UND wins the league. If he has a better one, special things....

Not sure why you think that. He produced big time in high school, went straight to the USHL and led in playoff scoring, then had over 40 pts as a frosh. Why is he overrated?

I just think he is, as far as an NHL prospect goes. He seems to get himself in very opportunistic positions but that is it. He is terrible in his own zone, is not overly quick, and plays with about the same physicality as basketball player. Not to mention he doesn't have a quick or hard shot. I read some people comparing him to Duncan.....this is fair, however, there is one difference...Duncan had an extremely quick shot. He could get it off quickly. They both had the pleasure of playing with great college players. Back to Rau, he played with arguably the top three college player in the league and Budish....who is greatly underrated. Bjugstad is 6'6'' 220 (and very gifted) and Budish is either 6'1'' or 6'2'' and like 230 (and very gifted). Just saying, not many people agree with me but let's see what he ends up doing. I have seen Rau up close though, he looks pretty immature physically to me so he may grow more and pack on more lbs, that would help him tremendously and I would take back everything I just wrote. Right now he looks 16 years old.

I can't see the Rau-Duncan comparison.....I guess you could argue the finding the soft spot in the zone and finding the back of the net, but thats just about all....

As far as speed and a quick shot goes....I think he'll be okay....

http://www.snappytv.com/snaps/goldengopherhky-goal-kyle-rau-on-a-rush-into-the-undmhock-about-final-five-semifinal-north-dakota-vs-minnesota-on-fox-sports-north

I just think he is, as far as an NHL prospect goes. He seems to get himself in very opportunistic positions but that is it. He is terrible in his own zone, is not overly quick, and plays with about the same physicality as basketball player. Not to mention he doesn't have a quick or hard shot. I read some people comparing him to Duncan.....this is fair, however, there is one difference...Duncan had an extremely quick shot. He could get it off quickly. They both had the pleasure of playing with great college players. Back to Rau, he played with arguably the top three college player in the league and Budish....who is greatly underrated. Bjugstad is 6'6'' 220 (and very gifted) and Budish is either 6'1'' or 6'2'' and like 230 (and very gifted). Just saying, not many people agree with me but let's see what he ends up doing. I have seen Rau up close though, he looks pretty immature physically to me so he may grow more and pack on more lbs, that would help him tremendously and I would take back everything I just wrote. Right now he looks 16 years old.

I disagree with you and I think a lot of others will too... Rau is a great player with a skill set that will only get better.

I disagree with you and I think a lot of others will too... Rau is a great player with a skill set that will only get better.

Agree. Glad you are a hockey scout scpa0305. Duncan was undrafted, Rau went high in the 4th round with similar size. I dislike Rau with a passion. That being said not may players can come right out of high school and step onto the top line in the WCHA. Oh and if you forgot the Sioux were hard after him as well.