SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

I just got done watching the Coyotes prospect camp. Mike Lee and Hextall were playing in it. No one really stood out very much though. Lee looked somewhat weak though and Hextall being the second oldest skater did not stand out. Miles Koules looked pretty good though. He would have been a nice addition.

That's surprising considering all the times I've seen Koules play I'd barely notice he was on the ice or played in the game.

That's surprising considering all the times I've seen Koules play I'd barely notice he was on the ice or played in the game.

From what you guys have said about him here before I was expecting the same thing. That was why I paid attention do him. Different atmosphere or type of play maybe is why?

From what you guys have said about him here before I was expecting the same thing. That was why I paid attention do him. Different atmosphere or type of play maybe is why?

Most likely. We'll see how he does for Medicine Hat. He showed a lot of potential prior to this year. I certainly don't fault him for not coming to UND. He wasn't going to get a whole lot of playing time his freshman year. Education isn't a big concern either considering his father can pay for his education with ease. So I understand why he decided to simply focus all on hockey. Though to be honest, I still don't see him making into the NHL. May be able to toil in Europe or the KHL.

Schlossman tweeted

It really makes you wonder....

It seems like CHL teams offer these kids the world and convince them that because they are the 'best development league in the world' they will be NHL regulars in 18-24 months, when in reality, only a small percentage actually will be. Yes, college degrees can be obtained later in life, but for many it's easier said than done.

I'm always reminded of Jack Campbell. When he decommitted from Michigan he said that by going the CHL route he would be playing in the NHL in two years. It has been more than two years and Campbell only recently started playing in the AHL. His replacement at Michigan (Shawn Hunwick) saw NHL time this past season. Ouch!

When it comes down to it, there isn't a 'fastest route' to the NHL. It's all about a kid's ability and drive. And honestly, I don't hate the CHL as a development league, I hate the constant harrassment of committed recruits.

This is the message that College Hockey, Inc. needs to drive home to kids. And please don't give me all that "There's nothing we can do about it" crap. If the CHL wants to smear and distort College Hockey, then College Hockey, Inc. has to hit back. Point out all the "dirty little secrets" of Major Junior hockey. Point out that as soon as a kid is not useful to the bottom line of a CHL team, they are dumped like a bad habit. Point out that kids are promised the moon to get them to sign and, once they get there, they realize "it just doesn't work that way here". The media is a two-way street and this type of unrestricted submarine warfare is a two-edged sword. The problem is that College Hockey, Inc. chooses not to fight back like they need to. This is like fighting tanks with spears, which is what Ethiopia did against Italy during the early days of WWII. Except College Hockey has more resources at their disposal and is not using them. Get tough and smart or watch college hockey become more and more irrelevant. The choice is yours.

Schlossman tweeted

It really makes you wonder....

It seems like CHL teams offer these kids the world and convince them that because they are the 'best development league in the world' they will be NHL regulars in 18-24 months, when in reality, only a small percentage actually will be. Yes, college degrees can be obtained later in life, but for many it's easier said than done.

I'm always reminded of Jack Campbell. When he decommitted from Michigan he said that by going the CHL route he would be playing in the NHL in two years. It has been more than two years and Campbell only recently started playing in the AHL. His replacement at Michigan (Shawn Hunwick) saw NHL time this past season. Ouch!

When it comes down to it, there isn't a 'fastest route' to the NHL. It's all about a kid's ability and drive. And honestly, I don't hate the CHL as a development league, I hate the constant harrassment of committed recruits.

Why do this kids fall for this crap? Quick way to the NHL for a small select group. Mostly all it does is get you to the AHL or the ECHL one or two years sooner where they then need to grow up mentally and physically to equal the kid who took the college route. I did talk to one Coyote official and I said that Hextall left UND to soon. He said Hextall had gone as far as he could at UND.

Why do this kids fall for this crap? Quick way to the NHL for a small select group. Mostly all it does is get you to the AHL or the ECHL one or two years sooner where they then need to grow up mentally and physically to equal the kid who took the college route. I did talk to one Coyote official and I said that Hextall left UND to soon. He said Hextall had gone as far as he could at UND.

Hextall was injured every season he played at UND. I'm not sure how that equates to "gone as far as he could"

Hextall was injured every season he played at UND. I'm not sure how that equates to "gone as far as he could"

My thought too since he never really did anything here. His Portland stats has him playing in 72 games, 7 goals, 8 assists, and 59 penalty minutes. Not a lot of points for 72 games so was he the 3rd or 4th line checking forward/penalty killer?

Personally.....maybe. Teamwise.....no.

Pretty sure Skjei is a sure thing to Minnesota. I remember reading comments from him recently that its been his dream to play for the Gophers and those kind of things, plus he has already started some summer school at Minnesota and even left the Rangers prospect camp early to get back to start school.

Yeah, I would think he is a lock then.

It's kind of like if I quoted you and then said, "I agree with you, bestiality isn't that big of a deal." It would imply that that's what you said.

Learn how to construct a coherent thought, then post something.

And you dish out criticisms of college hockey constantly, but as soon as anybody says anything about the CHL, you freak out like a 4 year old.

Nice little rant....you say the same thing every time I question anything. I am first, and foremost a college hockey fan. I do pay attention to the CHL because I like to follow top NHL prospects. I also see flaws in both systems. In the early 2000's I enjoyed how college hockey started pulling in top prospects (Parise, Stafford, Toews, Van Reimsdyke, Kessel, Okposo, etc) however that is slightly changing. I just hope College Hockey Inc can start putting in effort to retain US kids.

Nice little rant....you say the same thing every time I question anything. I am first, and foremost a college hockey fan. I do pay attention to the CHL because I like to follow top NHL prospects. I also see flaws in both systems. In the early 2000's I enjoyed how college hockey started pulling in top prospects (Parise, Stafford, Toews, Van Reimsdyke, Kessel, Okposo, etc) however that is slightly changing. I just hope College Hockey Inc can start putting in effort to retain US kids.

If the NCAA would allow kids to come and play college if they left the CHL before they turned 19 I think might bring in some good players that know they need the time college would give them to develope.

• 2 weeks later...

Good for them. Doesn't change goaltending issue though.

True, but there's not a better D corp in the country than what the Gophers have next year which will help the goaltending. Return all 8 on the roster and have two blue chippers coming in. Last years defense(GAA) was one of the best in the nation and that was in spite of Patterson having the nations 50th best save percentage.

True, but there's not a better D corp in the country than what the Gophers have next year which will help the goaltending. Return all 8 on the roster and have two blue chippers coming in. Last years defense(GAA) was one of the best in the nation and that was in spite of Patterson having the nations 50th best save percentage.

Well that's your opinion. I think their defense is overrated.

Bjugstad returning is a good thing for college hockey even if he plays for the rodents.

Should be an interesting final year of the WCHA. I can see UND and MN duking it out to finish first. The only two games they play each other should interesting to see how they match up against each other.

Good for them. Doesn't change goaltending issue though.

Read that he's coming back....that is not good news actually. A healthy Bjugstad is almost unstoppable in college hockey. I also don't think they will have too big of a goaltending issue. They got a couple of solid goaltenders. Sorry, just being honest. We should see some pretty intense games this season.

Bjugstad returning is a good thing for college hockey even if he plays for the rodents.

Should be an interesting final year of the WCHA. I can see UND and MN duking it out to finish first. The only two games they play each other should interesting to see how they match up against each other.

Agreed.

They gave up less goals per game last season than UND did and UND lost Blood while the gophers lost no one. Both teams will have a strong D corp though next year no question.

I thought overall it wasn't so much the play of their D that contributed to their defensive success. It was more overall team defense, like the defensive play of their Fwds that contributed. In the past that was a defensive issue. I think too many of their d-men are the same kind of player and it could hurt them later on. But that's why they play the games.

Read that he's coming back....that is not good news actually. A healthy Bjugstad is almost unstoppable in college hockey. I also don't think they will have too big of a goaltending issue. They got a couple of solid goaltenders. Sorry, just being honest. We should see some pretty intense games this season.

The first sentence was sarcasm. I actually thought he would be back. And I don't really care either way. I like our team. I'll take our chances.

The first sentence was sarcasm. I actually thought he would be back. And I don't really care either way. I like our team. I'll take our chances.

Yeah well we have too. They should be two good games. As far as on paper goes, without Bjugstad I actually would have liked out team better....with him they probably have a stronger team going into the season. Anything can happen though during the payoffs. Also, I think Grimaldi is going to have a very big year. The only thing I am worried about is our top end D. We have a ton of offensive dmen but not many that can shut down the opposition. Forbert should be able to this year (hopefully) but that's about it, regardin dmen that will be on the ice a ton. When I say opposition I mean the Goofs and the Badgers. The top three teams will be UND, MN and WIS (in any particular order).