SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

agree, and that is the reason behind my ending phrase "one big time program"

I guess the statement I take issue with is "but UND is not on the radar of anyone outside of NoDak or outside of college hockey circles" because those articles in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, etc, weren't printed just to catch the eye of hockey guys. A whole bunch of people read those articles that had no interest in hockey but, as a result of the articles, they found out where UND, Grand Forks and the state of North Dakota are.

Hate to burst your bubble, but UND is not on the radar of anyone outside of NoDak or outside of college hockey circles. Not a knock, I am a fan and grew up there. It just is not on the radar for most of the country...It is a small school in a small town in a small state...does have one big time program

This attitude is precisely why NDSU has done a much better job of marketing their programs than we have over my lifetime. They always have made it seem like the whole world is watching NDSU and Fargo, ND. The whole world isn't watching them, of course, but this type of marketing and promotion helps draw top-notch recruits, private donors for scholarships and students. In today's hyper-media driven world, how people perceive you is just as important as what you actually are. A vibrant, outgoing media personality like Dan Hammer will help us in this area. So will the investments Midco is making into their sports division.

Bottom line: If you come across as backwater, bush league and "local yokel", then that is what you will become.

This attitude is precisely why NDSU has done a much better job of marketing their programs than we have over my lifetime. They always have made it seem like the whole world is watching NDSU and Fargo, ND. The whole world isn't watching them, of course, but this type of marketing and promotion helps draw top-notch recruits, private donors for scholarships and students. In today's hyper-media driven world, how people perceive you is just as important as what you actually are. A vibrant, outgoing media personality like Dan Hammer will help us in this area. So will the investments Midco is making into their sports division.

Bottom line: If you come across as backwater, bush league and "local yokel", then that is what you will become.

This seems a bit like Marsha Brady syndrome- NDSU is not on anyone's radar either.

This seems a bit like Marsha Brady syndrome- NDSU is not on anyone's radar either.

You didn't read what I wrote all that carefully: I said they make it seem like they are on someone's radar and that can help win recruiting battles and make the whole campus feel like it's going places. Building a successful athletic department is more than bricks and mortar and dollars and cents. It's how you project yourself to current and potential stakeholders.

I guess the statement I take issue with is "but UND is not on the radar of anyone outside of NoDak or outside of college hockey circles" because those articles in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, etc, weren't printed just to catch the eye of hockey guys. A whole bunch of people read those articles that had no interest in hockey but, as a result of the articles, they found out where UND, Grand Forks and the state of North Dakota are.

So did the 1997 flood...

I am a huge Sioux hockey fan, and I loved growing up in GF- I'd have to look at the articles, but I would guess that there was very little "special" about the articles beyond the success of the hockey program in terms of winning and in terms of pros produced compared with the relative small size of the school and obscurity of the location.

Look- I always tell people I grew up in North Dakota, but when I am in a major city on the east or west coast, I am greeted with blank stares- it is nothing to be ashamed of, it should be embraced. Don't try to be too big-time, we'd only embarrass ourselves; and we have more class than that.

You didn't read what I wrote all that carefully: I said they make it seem like they are on someone's radar and that can help win recruiting battles and make the whole campus feel like it's going places. Building a successful athletic department is more than bricks and mortar and dollars and cents. It's how you project yourself to current and potential stakeholders.

point taken, but living in the Twin Cities, I am not subjected to (fortunately) any of that which you describe

point taken, but living in the Twin Cities, I am not subjected to (fortunately) any of that which you describe

I guess I want UND to subject NDSU to this type of marketing. Fire up all the UND alums that live in Fargo; that will serve the duel purpose of annoying the heck out of Bison fans and building our own programs up in the media (both traditional and social). When UND won the Division II Football title in 2001, there wasn't enough fist pumping from our fan base like there was when NDSU won the FCS title last year. Same with the 1997-98-99 women's basketball titles vs. NDSU's women's basketball titles. And I really don't want to hear the usual comebacks to those examples (hockey is all that matters in GF and football doesn't mean anything; Fargo is a bigger media market so they get everything and we get nothing), because if we keep thinking like that, our move up to Division I will not be successful beyond having a winning record every year, having a good won-loss record at home and upsetting a few big-time schools every couple of years. The contract with Midco Sports and the solidifying of the coaching staffs of all our teams are good steps in this direction. But we'll have to have the resolve and determination to see it through to the end.

Yep, they needed to hire someone with a lot of experience just like the Gophers did when they hired Grant Potulny. ;)

Hey, at least Raboin wasn't a Community Organizer before he landed this gig. :crazy:

Or a guy who never did anything to build anything who really has only been a bust-out artist ala Tony Soprano.
  • Upvote 1

No offense to any of you, or Pat Sweeney, but he was boring as all hell... very happy someone new is coming in.

I watch hockey to be entertained by the game and not some commentator. I liked Sweeney, he kept the spotlight on the game and not himself.

• Upvote 2

I don't mean to come off as a jerk about this, but honestly, how many of you recognize, by voice alone, Pat Sweeney, Dan Hammer, Tim Hennessy, Jack Michaels, or even Paul Ralston, Darin Looker, Jim Bollman, Tim O'Keefe, or Scott Swygman?

Yep, they needed to hire someone with a lot of experience just like the Gophers did when they hired Grant Potulny. ;)

Hey, at least Raboin wasn't a Community Organizer before he landed this gig. :crazy:

Hey, this is a UND sports site, leave the politics at the door.

--------------

btw, Why do I have to say this? Isn't this the job of the moderators?

That's fine and dandy if you are MSU Moorhead or Mankato. But this is UND. We are D1 and in a big time D1 conference in the Big Sky. We are on the brink of starting in a new hockey conference that is looking to become the top conferences in college hockey. Also, with Midco UND is tupgrading its televison broadcasts with shows and HD in the future. UND athletics is now in the big time now. An upgrade in the broadcast of games was needed and IMO satisfied with hiring Hammer.

Hahahaha....that was awesome

Hey, this is a UND sports site, leave the politics at the door.

--------------

btw, Why do I have to say this? Isn't this the job of the moderators?

What's political in that statement? You must be reading something into it. :whistling:

So what makes Sweeney good is the fact that he isn't. Interesting.

What always bugged me about Sweeney was that he got so excited when something good happend for UND, he got this high pitched whiney voice that you could barely make out what he was saying. I am all for showing enthusiasm, but it is was just annoying to watch a hockey game when every time the puck got near the net he freaked out and sounded all high and whiney. Not knocking the guy personally, just not a fan of his broadcast syle.

What always bugged me about Sweeney was that he got so excited when something good happend for UND, he got this high pitched whiney voice that you could barely make out what he was saying. I am all for showing enthusiasm, but it is was just annoying to watch a hockey game when every time the puck got near the net he freaked out and sounded all high and whiney. Not knocking the guy personally, just not a fan of his broadcast syle.

Yeah...and we are in a big time D1 football conference too :)

I don't mean to come off as a jerk about this, but honestly, how many of you recognize, by voice alone, Pat Sweeney, Dan Hammer, Tim Hennessy, Jack Michaels, or even Paul Ralston, Darin Looker, Jim Bollman, Tim O'Keefe, or Scott Swygman?

I could do - Sweeney, Hammer Hennessy, Michaels Looker, Bollman, O'Keefe and Swyg no problem.

Police: Gophers Hockey Start Erik Haula Cited after Urinating in Public

Erik Haula, a University of Minnesota Golden Gophers hockey standout and 2009 draft pick of the Minnesota Wild, was cited for disorderly conduct last weekend after Stillwater police reportedly saw him urinating in public.

At about 2:24 a.m. July 22, police saw a man urinating while standing on Water Street—on the west side of the Freight House—in “plain view of the bar crowd at bar close,” the police report states.

The officer identified the man as Haula, 21, of Minneapolis, and advised him he couldn’t urinate in public, the report states. “Haula agreed.”

It was “clear that [Haula] was extremely intoxicated,” the report states. Haula was cited for disorderly conduct and released to a friend who was “somewhat sober.”

Does this mean Gopher fans can no longer hassle us about TJ Oshie's incident? :lol: