SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

working at midco will be a full time job. im sorry but im not a huge hammer fan and if thats all they could find than thats sad

I guess I would like to know who you think they should get. Hammer has worked with Tim O'Keefe, and has done a good job with UND football. Maybe nobody else applied, or maybe being the voice of Sioux hockey isn't the dream of everyone that is a hockey broadcaster. It says something that this is a dream job for Dan Hammer, and I have no doubt that he will put that passion into the job. Not sure you can say that about other people. I guess what it comes down to, is that different people have different tastes, because how else do you account for Frank Mazzocco.

If by fine you mean Pat Sweeney made UND, Grand Forks, and North Dakota look like a bunch of yokels then yep, he was fine.

Let me guess, you like the Steven A. Smith, in your face type of guy or a guy that puts phony emotion into a game! I guess I would ask you the same question, who would you propose that would want the job? I bet whomever you would say, would be met with derision by some, because people have different tastes.

If by fine you mean Pat Sweeney made UND, Grand Forks, and North Dakota look like a bunch of yokels then yep, he was fine.

That was his charm- UND, Grand Forks, and North Dakota aren't exactly the cosmopolitan centers of the world- Sweeney represented and embraced a hometown feel.

That was his charm- UND, Grand Forks, and North Dakota aren't exactly the cosmopolitan centers of the world- Sweeney represented and embraced a hometown feel.

So UND hockey should have the "feel" of minor league baseball or Mississippi high school football? I don't think that is the type of "charm" that a world-class program like ours should use to promote itself.

That's fine and dandy if you are MSU Moorhead or Mankato. But this is UND. We are D1 and in a big time D1 conference in the Big Sky. We are on the brink of starting in a new hockey conference that is looking to become the top conferences in college hockey. Also, with Midco UND is tupgrading its televison broadcasts with shows and HD in the future. UND athletics is now in the big time now. An upgrade in the broadcast of games was needed and IMO satisfied with hiring Hammer.

• Upvote 1

That's fine and dandy if you are MSU Moorhead or Mankato. But this is UND. We are D1 and in a big time D1 conference in the Big Sky. We are on the brink of starting in a new hockey conference that is looking to become the top conferences in college hockey. Also, with Midco UND is tupgrading its televison broadcasts with shows and HD in the future. UND athletics is now in the big time now. An upgrade in the broadcast of games was needed and IMO satisfied with hiring Hammer.

Um... The Big Sky is not on my lists of a big time D1 conference. And after this year, not many outside of the region will be able to view UND broadcasts on midco anyway. So these changes don't really affect a lot of fans anyway.

For those that don't like Hammer, there is a mute button...

Um... The Big Sky is not on my lists of a big time D1 conference. And after this year, not many outside of the region will be able to view UND broadcasts on midco anyway. So these changes don't really affect a lot of fans anyway.

For those that don't like Hammer, there is a mute button...

Compared to the Great West, the BSC is big-time.

I have nothing against Sweeney but listening to him call UND hockey games was like watching paint dry. I usually muted my tv and had the radio on Hennessey. Stagnant and bland are the words I'll use to describe Fighting Sioux Sports Network broadcasts. I'm looking forward to what Midco will bring to the table since they have the possibility to take UND broadcasts to a whole new level which FSSN couldn't.

I will miss Jim Scanlan's occasional "OHHHH BABY!!" when a Sioux player would score a very sweet goal. :lol:

27 year old with no coaching experience...wonder who else applied?

Former Husky Garrett Raboin has been named Assistant Coach at SCSU

Interesting hire...

I don't know who else applied but I'm sure the former player thing helped him a lot in getting the job. I believe he played high school hockey at Detroit Lakes and always seemed like a very hard worker and good kid. Although he doesn't have much experience I think it will be a good hire for SCSU and he will be able to relate to the players very well, probably will help that he played with the program and will take a lot of pride in that program.

Personally, I will miss Pat Sweeney- he was a fantastic character

I have been listening/watching Pat since I was a little kid! I remember the mid 80s when he and Travis Dunn were the guys! That said, I also like Dan Hammer, and I think he will do a fine job.

Thanks for all the years Pat!

• Upvote 1

Let me guess, you like the Steven A. Smith, in your face type of guy or a guy that puts phony emotion into a game! I guess I would ask you the same question, who would you propose that would want the job?

Marilyn Hagerty.... :D

I don't know who else applied but I'm sure the former player thing helped him a lot in getting the job. I believe he played high school hockey at Detroit Lakes and always seemed like a very hard worker and good kid. Although he doesn't have much experience I think it will be a good hire for SCSU and he will be able to relate to the players very well, probably will help that he played with the program and will take a lot of pride in that program.

Yep, they needed to hire someone with a lot of experience just like the Gophers did when they hired Grant Potulny. ;)

Hey, at least Raboin wasn't a Community Organizer before he landed this gig. :crazy:

• Upvote 1

Marilyn Hagerty.... :D

At least that's a name. Haven't heard any names from the naysayers. And if Pat Sweeney or Dan Hammer aren't good enough for the Big Sky, how is it that Anthony LaPanta and Frank Mazzocco were good enough for a Big Ten team, and one of them for a professional sports team!

So UND hockey should have the "feel" of minor league baseball or Mississippi high school football? I don't think that is the type of "charm" that a world-class program like ours should use to promote itself.

Hate to burst your bubble, but UND is not on the radar of anyone outside of NoDak or outside of college hockey circles. Not a knock, I am a fan and grew up there. It just is not on the radar for most of the country...It is a small school in a small town in a small state...does have one big time program

Hate to burst your bubble, but UND is not on the radar of anyone outside of NoDak or outside of college hockey circles. Not a knock, I am a fan and grew up there. It just is not on the radar for most of the country...It is a small school in a small town in a small state...does have one big time program

I guess I can agree with that regarding football and the oly sports, but I can direct you to numerous articles written about UND hockey in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, La Times, Boston Globe, ESPN, Minneapolis Tribune, St Paul Pioneer Press, United Airlines In-Flight Magazine, etc that many "big town/big state" universities would love to have about their programs. When you make statements about the Sioux being small-time, I think you have to separate Sioux Hockey from the discussion.

Now, if some of the things being floated out there with the Big Sky & WAC come about, all of UND's programs will get elevated to a level that the State of North Dakota hasn't seen before. Probably not to the level of Sioux Hockey, but it certainly is going to be ramped up several levels from where it was and far above what the Steam Yellow crowd is used to.

I guess I would like to know who you think they should get. Hammer has worked with Tim O'Keefe, and has done a good job with UND football. Maybe nobody else applied, or maybe being the voice of Sioux hockey isn't the dream of everyone that is a hockey broadcaster. It says something that this is a dream job for Dan Hammer, and I have no doubt that he will put that passion into the job. Not sure you can say that about other people. I guess what it comes down to, is that different people have different tastes, because how else do you account for Frank Mazzocco.

Gary Thorn

Sweeney was fine.....I'm sure Hammer will be as well.

I'm glad to see there's a few out there who agree with me. As I've said on here before, I just appreciate the fact we can see the number of games we do on tv, no matter who does the play by play.