SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

Yeah well we have too. They should be two good games. As far as on paper goes, without Bjugstad I actually would have liked out team better....with him they probably have a stronger team going into the season. Anything can happen though during the payoffs. Also, I think Grimaldi is going to have a very big year. The only thing I am worried about is our top end D. We have a ton of offensive dmen but not many that can shut down the opposition. Forbert should be able to this year (hopefully) but that's about it, regardin dmen that will be on the ice a ton. When I say opposition I mean the Goofs and the Badgers. The top three teams will be UND, MN and WIS (in any particular order).

You don't regard MacWilliam as a shut-down d man?

I think their whole team is overrated.

The goofs are overatted every year, I like it when they are ranked high, the out come is always the same! Now someone above says their defense was the best in the nation last season, and their all coming back! All season last year we heard patty was the best, gets awards and what have you... But now it doesn't matter the goalie with that D-cor?????? Same old song and dance! I have never felt this confident about our Sioux team to be! My opinion, bring on the rodents, the other rodents also, the Sioux could play goofs one weekend and badguys the next all season and I wouldn't worry about it! Go Sioux!!!

The key for both teams next year will be injuries. Yes, they are both deep but losing a high end talent guy or two down the stretch can be tough to overcome.

The sophomore slump seems to hit the gophs pretty hard too. My hunch is Rau will not be as big of a factor next year.

The goofs are overatted every year, I like it when they are ranked high, the out come is always the same! Now someone above says their defense was the best in the nation last season, and their all coming back! All season last year we heard patty was the best, gets awards and what have you... But now it doesn't matter the goalie with that D-cor? ????? Same old song and dance! I have never felt this confident about our Sioux team to be! My opinion, bring on the rodents, the other rodents also, the Sioux could play goofs one weekend and badguys the next all season and I wouldn't worry about it! Go Sioux!!!

I like the confidence but lets get real.

I like the confidence but lets get real.

I think the team's will be very even, if you compare the top few lines for each team I think the Sioux come out ahead.

Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo vs. Rau-Bjugstad-Budish, I would say Bjugstad is the best of those 6 with the 3 Sioux player's followed closely after.

MacMillan-Rowney-Parks vs. Warning-Haula-Condon Haula is without a doubt the best player here but I see big jumps from MacMillan and Parks and Rowney should hit around 40 points this year. I would take UND's second line as well.

Schmaltz-Forbort vs. Schmidt-Alt, give the nod to the Gophers, but Forbort is the best of these 4

Mattson-MacWilliam vs. Marshall-Helgeson, I would take Mattson over Marshall and MacWilliam over Helgeson

Gleason-Simpson vs. Skjei-Holl, Holl has underachieved so far, but Skjei has enormous potential at D.

All in all I think the Sioux have more depth at forward while the Gopher's have more at D, it should be a very fun year with both teams being very good. I just hope they can avoid each other in the NCAA tournament until the Frozen Four, because I expect both will be good enough to be there.

On paper, the Gophers and UND are very closely matched. I agree that Bjugstad is a game changer- he is an NHL center- the last college player I said that about was Toewser. Not comparing the two, as they play very different games, but just that Bjugstad is going to have a nice pro career- he isn't as technically perfect as Toews was, but he has better hands- although both are gifted offensively, plus his size will make it difficult for anyone to matchup with. With Budish on his wing, that is two extremely big and strong forwards with skill. I think that Forbert and Mac can matchup with that line, but I do not think any of the other d-pairings have the strength to do it. Not meant as a knock, just physics. For an offensive matchup, you need Knight out there against Bjugstad, if for no other reason than to win draws to prevent Bjugstad and Budish from being able to use their size on the forecheck and force us back against our defensive end wall. Kristo plays that wing, and although he has gotten better in our end, he is still more of an offensive player. That said, the second wing on our first line has to be strong physically and strong in positional defensive play. He also will need to be offensive enough to play with Kristo and Knight- not sure who that might be?? Maybe Rodwell, maybe O'Donnell, maybe Rowney. Bottom line is the Gophs top line is a very difficult one to match up with, and getting that assignment will be a challenge.

I think that Grimaldi is the real x-factor, and if he comes back and plays at the level he is capable of, and plays center on the second line, it immediately changes the dynamic.

Like in many years, the games will be decided by depth players, toughness, and special teams.

On paper, the Gophers and UND are very closely matched. I agree that Bjugstad is a game changer- he is an NHL center- the last college player I said that about was Toewser. Not comparing the two, as they play very different games, but just that Bjugstad is going to have a nice pro career- he isn't as technically perfect as Toews was, but he has better hands- although both are gifted offensively, plus his size will make it difficult for anyone to matchup with. With Budish on his wing, that is two extremely big and strong forwards with skill. I think that Forbert and Mac can matchup with that line, but I do not think any of the other d-pairings have the strength to do it. Not meant as a knock, just physics. For an offensive matchup, you need Knight out there against Bjugstad, if for no other reason than to win draws to prevent Bjugstad and Budish from being able to use their size on the forecheck and force us back against our defensive end wall. Kristo plays that wing, and although he has gotten better in our end, he is still more of an offensive player. That said, the second wing on our first line has to be strong physically and strong in positional defensive play. He also will need to be offensive enough to play with Kristo and Knight- not sure who that might be?? Maybe Rodwell, maybe O'Donnell, maybe Rowney. Bottom line is the Gophs top line is a very difficult one to match up with, and getting that assignment will be a challenge.

I think that Grimaldi is the real x-factor, and if he comes back and plays at the level he is capable of, and plays center on the second line, it immediately changes the dynamic.

Like in many years, the games will be decided by depth players, toughness, and special teams.

I think Brad Berry is the real x-factor!

Not comparing the two, as they play very different games, but just that Bjugstad is going to have a nice pro career- he isn't as technically perfect as Toews was, but he has better hands- ...

Seriously? Better hands than JT?

I agree, of all the college hockey that I have seen "NO ONE" has had better hands than Towes.

Honestly, Tyler Hirsch had the best hands I have ever seen in my 25 years of watching Gopher hockey. He obvioulsy wasn't the player Toews was but his hands were the best I've seen.

So what qualifies someone as having great hands? Is it stick handling through traffic? Ability to settle the puck in a nanosecond and then be able to get your shot off? Ability to control/win face offs? Redirecting shots from the outside? All or none of the above? :)

I was trying to throw Bjugstad a bone- he did score 25 goals last year and has a knack for the net down low.

There is no real comparison between an NHL all-star, conn smythe winning, arguably best two-way center in the NHL and a college kid with potential.

What always stood out to me on JT in college, was not his hands per se, but rather his perfect positional play and excellent all around skill. Not saying he couldn't shoot (ask Frazee at the WJC) or wasn't a great passer...he had all of the tools.

What stands out to me on Bjugstad is that he has great hands and a big body. Maybe its because it is unexpected or because Toewser did everything so well that it makes Bjugstad's hands stand out to me.

I think Brad Berry is the real x-factor!

Berry is our counter to Guentzel!

I think we will definitely see an improvement in our special teams and d play as a result of Berry. Not sure how the toughness factor will play out with Berry vs Eades...Cary is definitely a tough cookie.

• Upvote 1

So what qualifies someone as having great hands? Is it stick handling through traffic? Ability to settle the puck in a nanosecond and then be able to get your shot off? Ability to control/win face offs? Redirecting shots from the outside? All or none of the above? :)

You know who had great hands at the college level? Jeff Taffe the old Gopher...he was like a surgeon...

• Upvote 1

I think the team's will be very even, if you compare the top few lines for each team I think the Sioux come out ahead.

Grimaldi-Knight-Kristo vs. Rau-Bjugstad-Budish, I would say Bjugstad is the best of those 6 with the 3 Sioux player's followed closely after.

MacMillan-Rowney-Parks vs. Warning-Haula-Condon Haula is without a doubt the best player here but I see big jumps from MacMillan and Parks and Rowney should hit around 40 points this year. I would take UND's second line as well.

Schmaltz-Forbort vs. Schmidt-Alt, give the nod to the Gophers, but Forbort is the best of these 4

Mattson-MacWilliam vs. Marshall-Helgeson, I would take Mattson over Marshall and MacWilliam over Helgeson

Gleason-Simpson vs. Skjei-Holl, Holl has underachieved so far, but Skjei has enormous potential at D.

All in all I think the Sioux have more depth at forward while the Gopher's have more at D, it should be a very fun year with both teams being very good. I just hope they can avoid each other in the NCAA tournament until the Frozen Four, because I expect both will be good enough to be there.

I agree much of what you said, but I was thinking all 4 lines. MN's entire team is coming back (pretty much) their 3rd and 4th lines will remain very much intact. You are correct though regardin the top 6 forwards and top 4 D. Although, don't sleep on Budish....that guy will play in the NHL. Rau is super overrated.