SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

8 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

What makes the B10 more attractive than the Pac12?

PAC 12 can't generate enough media money.  By a large margin.  Big Ten adding schools in addition to USC and UCLA would make sense.  Notre Dame could be in play with the addition of USC.  Washington, Colorado, Oregon, and Arizona would also make sense IMO.  

Also, so much for the PAC12 hockey conference fantasy :(  Maybe this would make it more likely for USC, UCLA, Washington, Colorado, Arizona to add hockey, if the Big Ten does actually poach PAC12 schools.  How good are San Diego's academics?

Today, June 30, would be the last day USC and UCLA could inform the Pac-12 they intend on leaving the conference if they want to avoid potential additional financial penalties, three sources tell CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. The active Pac-12 grant of rights expires on June 30, 2024.....so if you wanted to know why this is coming out today, there is your answer.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/usc-and-ucla-to-big-ten-live-news-updates-as-pac-12-powers-may-kick-start-more-conference-realignment/live/ 

I found this on a CSNBBS board in response to a claim these moves (TX/OK --> SEC; USC/UCLA --> B1G) being greed based:

But it isn't greed. It's fear.

The reason so many here doubted the potential of this (B1G poaching PAC) is because you were focused on sports. IMO, this became evident when Texas moved. Institutions like Texas, which had resided in a world of its own making, and which sat atop yearly revenue leaders, doesn't move out of greed. Something had to scare the hell out of them for that to happen. So, what was it?

Demographic and Economic paradigm shifts amid an uncertain global political future.

These moves are a circling of the wagons for defense, strength in numbers.

I'm struggling to defeat the argument. 

2 hours ago, FSSD said:

PAC12/AAU schools: Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington - so who do they take after UCLA and USC?

I think they will aim for 20. I can think of 3 pretty logical choices in Washington, Oregon, and Notre Dame but not sure who my 4th would be maybe Colorado or Kansas.

KC Radio saying Notre Dame and KU (AAU Accredited) going to Big 10 - Complete Speculation but Tim Grunhard talking about it on Sports Radio 810 - he’s a Notre Dame Alumn with 2 boys that played for them & Ex NFL & Coach with a lot a credit. 

Speculation I Say - That’s it.  A whole new can of worms plus political implications I assume. 

Is Texas still in play for the Big Ten?  I could see Washington-Oregon and Texas-Notre Dame being the next pairings, with the Big 10 being able to exert some pressure on ESPN then and hurting the SEC in the process.  Texas would love to be part of the Big 10 academic alliance vs the far inferior academic reputation of the SEC.

Money being the reason.

But USC and UCLA don't really bring anything sports-wise the B1G. USC football hasn't been like they were when Pete Carrol was there, and I guess UCLA men's basketball, baseball and softball the only sports that compete for titles the most.

I see both USC and ULCA going back to the Pac-12 after a few years when they realize they are never going win in B1G in football.

Can't say to get more views for BTN when that is on every cable and satellite package, plus they never use all the BTN channels the way it is.