SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

33 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

The GOR is not going to hold simply because that contract the ACC has locked themselves into until 2036 with ESPN is going to cause them to fall further and further behind every year.  They can't compete on $36 million payouts per team/per year when the BIG and SEC are over $100 million per team.  The contract will have to be opened back up for renegotiation and when that does the GOR opens back up.  If the ACC sticks it out until 2036 under the current deal just for the sake of the GOR binding them together they will end up so far behind they'll be irrelevant.

Something will give.

good point.

I think they are asking too low.  $75 million for rights to 7 home games is just over $10 million/game.  Should be asking $15 million/game and $105 million total package.  I actually don't think $15 million per game is a crazy number for NBC to pay.  Should be able to turn a profit on that.  Makes sense for NBC to then go after a conference package to supplement that because it lowers the economies of scale and provides more programming.  Basically, if you are in the CFB sports broadcasting game get all the way in.

$75 million sounds like a lot but it is not when compared to the over $120 million/year/school payout the Big Ten is projecting.  Now, I think this $75 million is only for ND football but I highly doubt the rest of their sports (I believe paid out through the ACC which they are a member of for all other sports) can come close to closing the $45 million difference.

If Notre Dame doesn't get this football package it's the last pin pulled before CFB realignment chaos.  If they can't stay in the same stratosphere financially they are going to have to look to join a conference, and it isn't going to be the SEC, and the ACC does not pay near enough.  If it comes to joining a conference the logical choice is the Big Ten.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

If athletes are going to be treated as employees, how long until we see contracts that specify length/duration of employment and include buyout fees? 

And does the academic side matter? Can an athlete play “college” football as long as the contract specifies? Is this like minor league baseball now? Could the athlete play for as many years as they want until they get “called up” to the NFL?

15 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Thanks for the share.

Blaming "the NCAA" (which is 100% a member-driven organization but a convenient scapegoat) is short-sighted and petty, IMHO.  Bottom line is that traditional amateurism doesn't sit well with today's rapidly-evolving cultural ethos and societal norms.  Bastardized notions of fairness and equity, the cheapened value of educational opportunity, and athletic/economic woke-ism, are what's killing college sports.  The only shame is that it took all these years for SMU (and other notorious visionaries and pioneers of 'rank corruption') to be fully vindicated in the court of public opinion.

I predict the phoenix rising from the ashes will be a brand new (yet entirely familiar) amateur model, college-aged student athletes participating primarily in non-revenue and Olympic sports for the love of the game and scholarships, but not for a paycheck.  And that, too, will last a long while before getting completely ruined.

I can't stand the mentality today in big time college athletics. It's all about getting "paid my fair share".  I loved some of Leach's comments about treating these players like professionals if they want to get paid like professionals.  Trades, cuts, etc.  Welcome to the real world.

My mind then wanders to Junior hockey.  Oh how some people's heads would explode if they were more exposed to what happens in Junior hockey.  Amateur, not getting paid, yet you get drafted and told where you are going to live/play, free labor to a for-profit Junior hockey franchise, can be traded and sent to live/play in another city, and the entire time you and your parents are just thrilled because you've made it to free-to-play hockey and it's saving you thousands of dollars a year.  

Now let's discuss Tier 3 Junior hockey where you get to pay for the privilege of getting treated like a professional athlete.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

I can't stand the mentality today in big time college athletics. It's all about getting "paid my fair share".  I loved some of Leach's comments about treating these players like professionals if they want to get paid like professionals.  Trades, cuts, etc.  Welcome to the real world.

My mind then wanders to Junior hockey.  Oh how some people's heads would explode if they were more exposed to what happens in Junior hockey.  Amateur, not getting paid, yet you get drafted and told where you are going to live/play, free labor to a for-profit Junior hockey franchise, can be traded and sent to live/play in another city, and the entire time you and your parents are just thrilled because you've made it to free-to-play hockey and it's saving you thousands of dollars a year.  

Now let's discuss Tier 3 Junior hockey where you get to pay for the privilege of getting treated like a professional athlete.

yeah that junior hockey stuff is crazy........see ya little 15 year old johnny...go live in timbucktoo and live in some family's basement and travel around by bus getting concussed by goons trying to make a name....

On 7/23/2022 at 3:02 PM, siouxfaninseattle said:

Good link.

Of course, truth be told "college" and "university" athletics have disappeared.  Case in point: UND's announcement of 2022 WVB schedule.  Nowhere does "college" or "university" appear.   

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/7/27/womens-volleyball-und-volleyball-releases-full-schedule.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

The MVFC commish on the changing landscape ... 

Given the uncertainty of collegiate football as the FBS appears to be headed toward mega conferences, where do teams at the FCS level fit in?

“I think that is a league-wide discussion that will ultimately be decided by (university) presidents,” Viverito said. ...

“ ... I intend to meet with every coach, every AD and every president over the course of this fall,” she said. “As things unfold nationally, I think we have to have a game plan in place for how we will fit into whatever landscape develops.

“To me, the key to success across the entire division is that we maintain our ties to the highest level of Division I football. And that’s for the good of the game.”

https://www.chicagonow.com/prairie-state-pigskin/2022/08/veteran-missouri-valley-commissioner-i-have-never-witnessed-so-much-uncertainty-in-the-collegiate-landscape/ 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” -- Sun Tzu 

None of us saw USC/UCLA making the jump and being finalized in five hours. 
That's how the next round will happen also. 

Now that midco is expanding in the TC metro.  Time for the Tommies to make the move.

Speaking of St. Thomas, has anyone here discussed how St. Thomas cancelled it's arena plans yet?  Curious what their new plan is.

edit.  by cancel I was referring to them removing the arena from the Ford site development.  As far as I know, they are still planning to build an arena somewhere.