SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

9 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I read somewhere this was a misreport and never happened.  AZ/ASU/CU/Utah never met with the Big 12.  

Big Ten has no plans on further expansion as it waits on Notre Dame to make a decision.  Everything is just kind of in a holding pattern.  

I think the Big 12 adding UCF, CInci, etc. may turn out to be a blunder.  Say things do settle down for the Big Ten/SEC as they add OU/UT & USC/UCLA and just decide that is good enough for now, until the ACC GOR expires in 2036 and this all fires up again a decade from now.  It would probably be better for the top of the Big 12 to leave and join up with the PAC (10) members and leave behind the new additions to the Big 12.  Why give up the PAC 12 to join up with Cincinnati and UCF?  I'd think Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, and Baylor would just join the PAC instead.

yeah...not sure why pac is bending the knee so much........just add 2 of  unlv, new mexico, boise, san diego state, fresno.... or hawaii and your back at 12?

11 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

.... waits on Notre Dame to make a decision.  Everything is just kind of in a holding pattern.  

Which is exactly how Notre Dame likes it, namely, the world focused on them (deservingly or not). 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Which is exactly how Notre Dame likes it, namely, the world focused on them (deservingly or not). 

notre dame is gonna have to figure it out soon that either your in with the big boys (SEC and Big10) or your not....enjoy playing Temple and Boston College on NBC with no one watching.......

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yeah...not sure why pac is bending the knee so much........just add 2 of  unlv, new mexico, boise, san diego state, fresno.... or hawaii and your back at 12?

None of those schools do anything for TV networks, competitive addition to the conference (SOS) or “splash” for recruiting. Than the PAC12 is stuck with weight like the Big12 is with their recent additions.  

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

notre dame is gonna have to figure it out soon that either your in with the big boys (SEC and Big10) or your not....enjoy playing Temple and Boston College on NBC with no one watching.......

Notre Dame whines about not getting enough respect for their 11-1 won-loss records, but it is their independent status that contributes to a soft overall schedule. But they are unwilling to give up that independent status. Make up your mind boys, you cannot have it both ways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, homer said:

None of those schools do anything for TV networks, competitive addition to the conference (SOS) or “splash” for recruiting. Than the PAC12 is stuck with weight like the Big12 is with their recent additions.  

unlv would...but academics aren't too good.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Notre Dame whines about not getting enough respect for their 11-1 won-loss records, but it is their independent status that contributes to a soft overall schedule. But they are unwilling to give up that independent status. Make up your mind boys, you cannot have it both ways.

Notre Dame's schedule is plenty legit, look at their upcoming years as well, never plays an FCS game, and if you know the history behind the Navy rivalry game would understand why that will never go anywhere.

44 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Notre Dame's schedule is plenty legit, look at their upcoming years as well, never plays an FCS game, and if you know the history behind the Navy rivalry game would understand why that will never go anywhere.

Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia Tech......those type of games drag their quality of schedule down. If they belonged to the SEC or B1G, their schedule would be much better and they probably would find it easier to recruit. But since I hate Notre Dame with a passion, I hope they never do it. :wink:

3 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

I read somewhere this was a misreport and never happened.  AZ/ASU/CU/Utah never met with the Big 12.  

Big Ten has no plans on further expansion as it waits on Notre Dame to make a decision.  Everything is just kind of in a holding pattern.  

I think the Big 12 adding UCF, CInci, etc. may turn out to be a blunder.  Say things do settle down for the Big Ten/SEC as they add OU/UT & USC/UCLA and just decide that is good enough for now, until the ACC GOR expires in 2036 and this all fires up again a decade from now.  It would probably be better for the top of the Big 12 to leave and join up with the PAC (10) members and leave behind the new additions to the Big 12.  Why give up the PAC 12 to join up with Cincinnati and UCF?  I'd think Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, and Baylor would just join the PAC instead.

I really don’t see any big 12 teams jumping to the pac-12 except for maybe BYU. BYU and Boise had dreams of being in the PAC12 but I don’t think they want Boise and BYU already got into the big 12. Colorado St, Air Force or even SDSU may get a PAC 12 invite if they see the need to add teams

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia Tech......those type of games drag their quality of schedule down. If they belonged to the SEC or B1G, their schedule would be much better and they probably would find it easier to recruit. But since I hate Notre Dame with a passion, I hope they never do it. :wink:

Sure overlook Georgia clemson USC Ohio State.  People overrate the SEC but outside of Auburn and Georgia, most of the good teams in opposite divisions rarely play. It's no coincidence that Tennesses huge decline has helped fuel Alabamas rise. If that was a tough game on the schedule each year, the Tide might not roll as easily. 

7 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Sure overlook Georgia clemson USC Ohio State.  People overrate the SEC but outside of Auburn and Georgia, most of the good teams in opposite divisions rarely play. It's no coincidence that Tennesses huge decline has helped fuel Alabamas rise. If that was a tough game on the schedule each year, the Tide might not roll as easily. 

USC is sometimes good, sometimes not. Right now, they are not good. Clemson was on their schedule during the pandemic year (they were 1-1 against them). Georgia and Ohio State are solid opponents, but there are still too many cupcakes on their schedule for them to whine about "lack of respect".

The SEC is in a whole different solar system compared to the rest of FBS; why do you think the B1G is adding schools on the west coast? The number of players drafted in the first round from the SEC is insane. Not saying I like it (it is not good for the game overall), but it is what it is.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I understand people's disdain for Notre Dame not joining a conference but the "soft schedule" thing is BS.  ND generally plays a pretty solid national schedule that includes teams from all the P5 conferences.  They're not afraid to ink games against anyone.  This coming season they have Ohio State, Marshall, Cal, UNC, BYU, Stanford, UNLV, Syracuse, Clemson, Navy, Boston College, and USC.  That's a schedule with some heavy hitters in there with OSU, Clemson, and USC.  Yeah, Marshall , UNLV, and Navy aren't top 10 programs but which school doesn't play games like that?  At least they are FBS.  Overall that's a pretty solid schedule. 

Future schedules also include Texas A&M, FSU, Miami, Wisconsin, and Alabama amongst others.  So yeah, they don't duck anyone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

I understand people's disdain for Notre Dame not joining a conference but the "soft schedule" thing is BS.  ND generally plays a pretty solid national schedule that includes teams from all the P5 conferences.  They're not afraid to ink games against anyone.  This coming season they have Ohio State, Marshall, Cal, UNC, BYU, Stanford, UNLV, Syracuse, Clemson, Navy, Boston College, and USC.  That's a schedule with some heavy hitters in there with OSU, Clemson, and USC.  Yeah, Marshall , UNLV, and Navy aren't top 10 programs but which school doesn't play games like that?  At least they are FBS.  Overall that's a pretty solid schedule. 

Future schedules also include Texas A&M, FSU, Miami, Wisconsin, and Alabama amongst others.  So yeah, they don't duck anyone.

Having a couple of tough opponents each season does NOT make the entire schedule "solid". You bring up "P5", then list schools like Marshall, Cal, UNC, BYU, UNLV and Syracuse and then hope we won't notice?! :lol: And don't forget all the golden oldies like Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College and Georgia Tech. USC and Stanford are sometimes good and sometimes not good, so they vary from year to year. Ditto for Wisconsin. FSU and Miami are a shell of their former selves. Clemson, Alabama and OSU are tough opponents, no doubt, but there is still too many soft teams in their schedule on a regular basis.

People think the academic standards of Notre Dame are too high for them to land enough blue chip recruits, but I don't believe that for one minute. It's the lack of a conference home that is limiting them as a program. The whole independent status thing worked when they were one of two or three teams on television every year, but now everyone is on television and conferences have their own networks. The Irish cannot be big-time players in college football as an independent anymore.

40 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Having a couple of tough opponents each season does NOT make the entire schedule "solid". You bring up "P5", then list schools like Marshall, Cal, UNC, BYU, UNLV and Syracuse and then hope we won't notice?! :lol: And don't forget all the golden oldies like Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College and Georgia Tech. USC and Stanford are sometimes good and sometimes not good, so they vary from year to year. Ditto for Wisconsin. FSU and Miami are a shell of their former selves. Clemson, Alabama and OSU are tough opponents, no doubt, but there is still too many soft teams in their schedule on a regular basis.

People think the academic standards of Notre Dame are too high for them to land enough blue chip recruits, but I don't believe that for one minute. It's the lack of a conference home that is limiting them as a program. The whole independent status thing worked when they were one of two or three teams on television every year, but now everyone is on television and conferences have their own networks. The Irish cannot be big-time players in college football as an independent anymore.

So schedule these three teams, three times a year and then their schedule will be considered legit?

6 hours ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Using ESPN's data, here are some strength of schedules for the past 5 years:

SOS.PNG.e4af246f350071d9d1cac13dccd5e925.PNG

Source: https://www.espn.com/college-football/fpi  (navigate to resume, sort by SOS, and select year)

I like to hate Notre Dame as much as the next person ** but their schedule of a few cupcakes works out the same as playing a few games against the bottom of the conference. #SimpleMath

** it started in the late 70’s when a medieval dickweed named Don Lucia played at Notre Dame.  Because he’s from Grand Rapids , a few Farce Members who knew the family were able to level a devastating combination of recalling real embarrassing events, and plausible events that would get him piffed off.  (Not just “your mom effs bears”, but “your mom (insert name) had sex with (insert name) at (location) on (date). It would be a cousins wedding or something.  Anyway he got really mad after several of these.  Retaliated by shooting pucks at us.  Which we thought of a scoring a win in the mind games. 

19 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What do you think every other college football team's schedule looks like?  Those "P5" schools are a tougher game than Louisiana Monroe or Austin Peay, oh yeah, both on Alabama's schedule this season as is Utah State.  You act like every college program doesn't play a schedule that is half full of dogs.  They all do.  At least Notre Dame fills those rent a wins with P5 schools.  Duke, Wake, Ga Tech, BC, etc. are part of the schedule the ACC hands them, but you don't take shots at Clemson who is actually in the ACC and plays those same schools.  What about Ohio State this season?  Arkansas State, Toledo...wow!  Then in conference they play Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana...

You act as if every other college football program schedules a killer schedule and ND ducks games because they can pick and choose being an Independent and that is just not the case.  Their SOS falls right in line with other top programs in the country.  For the record, I think they should join the Big Ten, but I don't hold them remaining an Independent against them because they actually do play a solid schedule (when compared to the rest of CFB) and do seek out big games.

29 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

What do you think every other college football team's schedule looks like?  Those "P5" schools are a tougher game than Louisiana Monroe or Austin Peay, oh yeah, both on Alabama's schedule this season as is Utah State.  You act like every college program doesn't play a schedule that is half full of dogs.  They all do.  At least Notre Dame fills those rent a wins with P5 schools.  Duke, Wake, Ga Tech, BC, etc. are part of the schedule the ACC hands them, but you don't take shots at Clemson who is actually in the ACC and plays those same schools.  What about Ohio State this season?  Arkansas State, Toledo...wow!  Then in conference they play Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana...

You act as if every other college football program schedules a killer schedule and ND ducks games because they can pick and choose being an Independent and that is just not the case.  Their SOS falls right in line with other top programs in the country.  For the record, I think they should join the Big Ten, but I don't hold them remaining an Independent against them because they actually do play a solid schedule (when compared to the rest of CFB) and do seek out big games.

Not a Notre Dame apologist by any means, but Notre Dame has definitly boosted their schedule from what it used to be.  They have to to even have a sniff at the CFP.  Notre Dame joing the ACC in all non football sports changed that.  Notre Dame now consistently schedules 4-5 ACC games a year.  So while the ACC certainly isn't a college football powerhouse, but playing teams like Florida State, Clemson, and Miami are much more respectable than playing Navy, Army, and Airforce every year.

The reason ND plays Navy every year is the Naval Academy saved the school from the brink of collapse during WW2 by picking the school as a site of a Naval college training program.  Without that program the school's attendance would have collapsed to a few hundred students because all the boys were off at war and not in college.  Notre Dame was an all boys school back then.

Army used to be a national power back in the 1930's and the two schools played a lot but ND hasn't scheduled Army much in the last half century, a couple of games in the 80's, 90's , and 3 times since 2000.  

Air Force isn't really a regular on their schedule either.  Used to be annually from the 70's into 90's but it's random anymore.

Scheduling the service academies over the years was partly convenience because they were all Independents and partly Notre Dame's indebtedness to the Defense Department for saving the school, a favor that was returned by ND in the 60's by not kicking the ROTC programs off campus at the height of the Vietnam War like other schools did.

Not even a Notre Dame fan and I know all this history and understand the "why" behind the service academy scheduling over the years.  I don't know how you can hold it against the school for scheduling those games given the history.  It's not like they have ever played an FCS school*.

*Scheduled Tennessee State in 2023 for a $1 million payday.  I'd call that one a political scheduling though as TSU is an HBCU.  I doubt they'll ever be scheduling USD or UND or any schools like us.

• Upvote 3

does the Big 12 have the balls to kick out the four teams they added last year to add...

washington, oregon, stanford, cal, arizona, asu, colordao, and utah to be at 18 instead of 22?

and/or kick out west virginia and keep byu? so 9 central schools and 9 westernish schools?

Can't wait for the next realignment rumor? 

Generate one

Samples: 

• I hear that North Dakota State is about to join the Pioneer League and Clemson could be next.
  • I hear that Mt.Union is about to join the Pac-12 and they want to expand into Mexico next.
  • I hear that Monsters University is about to join the Skyline Conference and they are looking to kick a few teams out too.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:14 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think it would be funny if some lawyer found a loophole to kill those "grant of rights" that is holding the ACC together by tooth floss....that goes away somehow and boom ACC doa.....

syracuse v buffalo would be a conference game

The GOR is not going to hold simply because that contract the ACC has locked themselves into until 2036 with ESPN is going to cause them to fall further and further behind every year.  They can't compete on $36 million payouts per team/per year when the BIG and SEC are over $100 million per team.  The contract will have to be opened back up for renegotiation and when that does the GOR opens back up.  If the ACC sticks it out until 2036 under the current deal just for the sake of the GOR binding them together they will end up so far behind they'll be irrelevant.

Something will give.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 2:41 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Can't wait for the next realignment rumor? 

Generate one

Samples: 

• I hear that North Dakota State is about to join the Pioneer League and Clemson could be next.
  • I hear that Mt.Union is about to join the Pac-12 and they want to expand into Mexico next.
  • I hear that Monsters University is about to join the Skyline Conference and they are looking to kick a few teams out too.

I am here to announce that I have been accepted by Monster's University and will play football for them during the 2022 season. I am being penciled in as a 4th string linebacker. :)