SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

So if St. Clair is truly in jeopardy of perhaps playing this year do the sioux or can the sioux bring in another forward?

Don't see how, academically, that's possible. Maybe at Christmas break. Just going to have to tough it out and hope for no injuries and go with what we got.

My source has told me that his High School transcript has been lost due to some Computer issues.

The St. Clair situation now has me better understanding why defenseman recruit Dan Senkbeil was centering a Dickin and Pattyn Saturday night. Actually, Senkbeil looked like he had a clue what he was doing out there at center. :D

My source has told me that his High School transcript has been lost due to some Computer issues.

That is incorrect fro what I heard. He graduated from Fargo South, but some on-line HS courses he took to accelerate his education prior to going to FSHS are being called into question.

From Inside Hockey -> http://insidehockey.com/wcha-season-preview

The defending MacNaughton Cup and Broadmoor Trophy winners are missing many key elements from their 2010-11 squad that went and impressive 32-9-3. The Sioux were one of the best teams in the nation for most of the year. That was all for not as the Fighting Sioux had their dream season ended prematurely in the quarter finals of the Frozen Four at the hands of the Michigan Wolverines.

From the fun fact department, Fighting Sioux defenseman Dillon Simpson while a sophomore in college is the youngest player on the Fighting Sioux roster this season.

Leading the offensive attack for the Fighting Sioux, Danny Kristo 8g-20a—28 pts, Sophomore Brock Nelson 8g-13a—21 pts and Corbin Knight 14g-30a—44 pts are expected to have big season for the Fighting Sioux from the forward position.

The Fighting Sioux return an impressive blue line corps of Ben Blood 2g-10a—12 pts, Andrew MacWilliam 0g-8a—8 pts, Dillon Simpson 2g-8a—10 pts and Derek Forbort 0g-15a—15 pts that would probably play in any teams top four defensive paring.

In the net for the Fighting Sioux, there is no shortage of experience between Senior Brad Eidsness and last season’s All-American and the Inside College Hockey Goaltender of the Year junior Aaron Dell who posted a 30-7-2 a save percentage of .924 and a goals against average 1.79.

Gone from last year’s team, Jason Gregoire 25g-18a—43 pts, Matt Frattin 36g-24a—60 pts, Chay Genoway 6g-31a—37 pts, Brad Malone 16g-24a—40 pts, Evan Trupp 17g-24a—41 pst, Brett Hextall 13g-16a—29pts.

Edited by Goon

• 2 weeks later...

FightingSioux.com has launched an excellent new series about the UND men's hockey program

[quote

]"Through These Doors Walk Champions."

That is the sign that hangs outside the locker room of the University of North Dakota men's hockey team. It symbolizes the tradition, and the lofty standards, of Fighting Sioux hockey. But tradition does not just happen. Tradition is built. Now, for the first time, we are taking fans "Through These Doors."

I agree that Grimaldi is the missing link for this team, the difference between him in the lineup and him out of it is huge. I think it will basically be the difference between having two consistent scoring lines compared to one. The MacMillan-Knight-Kristo will score, but something seems missing on that second line, Parks and Lamoureux are hard workers but aren't really skilled enough to keep up with Nelson, thats where Grimaldi fits in. I would like to see a second line of O'Donnell-Nelson-Grimaldi, once healthy I think Grimaldi will step right in to being an elite player in the WCHA which will allow O'Donnell to be eased into things a bit more as Nelson and Grimaldi carry the load until he becomes accustomed to the game. Him and MacMillan could become very good players for the Sioux down the road.

• Upvote 1

Its crazy how early departures and lost recruits can affect the dynamic of a team, we go from having a deep, extremely skilled forward group that could contend for a National title right away to an extremely inexperienced, "work in progress" type of team. Compare these two forward lineups

What could have been:

Gregoire-Knight-Hextall

MacMillan-Nelson-Kristo

Miller-Rowney-Grimaldi

O'Donnell-Lamoureux-Rodwell

What is:

MacMillan-Knight-Kristo

Lamoureux-Nelson-Grimaldi

Rodwell-Rowney-Parks

O'Donnell-Pattyn-Dickin

Corban Knight already broke Zach Parise's season faceoff percentage last year, now he is upped the ante even more and is currently holding a 72% proficiency in the faceoff circle this year, over 12 points higher than his school record.

Its crazy how early departures and lost recruits can affect the dynamic of a team, we go from having a deep, extremely skilled forward group that could contend for a National title right away to an extremely inexperienced, "work in progress" type of team. Compare these two forward lineups

What could have been:

Gregoire-Knight-Hextall

MacMillan-Nelson-Kristo

Miller-Rowney-Grimaldi

O'Donnell-Lamoureux-Rodwell

What is:

MacMillan-Knight-Kristo

Lamoureux-Nelson-Grimaldi

Rodwell-Rowney-Parks

O'Donnell-Pattyn-Dickin

Could also have thrown Cichy in there somewhere. I think we could use his offensive upside this year.

• Upvote 1

Considering what was lost in the off-season, not having Miller, St. Clair and Grimaldi (temporarily) to step in and fill the gaps means this season will be a work in progress. I'm pretty happy with a 2-1-1 record at this point. I think the road trip this weekend will be good for the team.

Corban Knight already broke Zach Parise's season faceoff percentage last year, now he is upped the ante even more and is currently holding a 72% proficiency in the faceoff circle this year, over 12 points higher than his school record.

Knight was 37-11 for the weekend on faceoffs.

A couple of comments after 4 games. Parks, MacMillen, and Mattson have really shown they can play. With Grimaldi (and St Claire), this class could prove to be a real bumper crop.

I know Hextall and Prpich were fan favorites, but it's nice to see there isn't anyone on this roster (yet) who can be counted on to make repeated and unnecessary trips to the box. With the shortage of experience at forward, this team can't afford to be on the PK all the time, making it even harder to roll enough good lines to have some rhythm and stay fresh. Impressed with Blood that way. Maybe seeing Diamond's idiocy was a good illustration of how you can hurt your team sitting in the box.

To be honest, I would take MacWilliam's third penalty any time whatsoever, yes I know it lead to the game tying goal, but it was the biggest hit of the game. That kind of hit, which was clean, the penalty was called for interference as the puck was a few feet past the puck carrier, sends a message. The next time that player comes across the middle of the ice, the hit will be in the back of his mind which could lead to fumbled pucks, turnovers, etc. He needs to keep it up as long as he keeps it clean and the hit doesn't bring him too far out of position.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I would take MacWilliam's third penalty any time whatsoever, yes I know it lead to the game tying goal, but it was the biggest hit of the game. That kind of hit, which was clean, the penalty was called for interference as the puck was a few feet past the puck carrier, sends a message. The next time that player comes across the middle of the ice, the hit will be in the back of his mind which could lead to fumbled pucks, turnovers, etc. He needs to keep it up as long as he keeps it clean and the hit doesn't bring him too far out of position.

I agree. There is a difference between good hard-hitting hockey and playing instigator or just being too undisciplined to resist a slash or high stick.

Simple reactions to your post:

- I sure hope a tie instead of a win doesn't hurt the team come NCAA selection time

- The contact was legal (no elbow or cross-check) but the hit wasn't "clean" per se because it was interference, and led to a Maine PP and goal to tie

- Look back on the play: MacWilliam got out of position and allowed Maine a rush up the ice with a forward in his position

There's a time a place for that hit. That wasn't it.

Like I said somewhere else, Blood's play selection (when to deliver a hit, when to retaliate) has significantly improved. MacWilliam still has some finish work to complete.

Bad news via Schlossman on Twitter:

Grimaldi will not play this weekend (still listed as week to week)

O'Donnell is out 3-6 weeks

Looks like the rough off-season for the Sioux has continued into the season. Hopefully we will catch a break soon.

Wow well with Grimaldi and O'Donnell hurt and St. Clair not eligible we don't have 12 forwards to suit up. Looks like Gleason will be playing forward for a while. We are going to have to look long and hard about the possibility of bringing in someone second semester.