SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

What is going on with Rocco? Did he all of a sudden need surgery or something? How do you go from playing in a game slightly injured to being out 6-8 weeks during a 2 week rest period?

So will he come back sooner than he should to be able to play in the World Junior tournament at Christmas? My optimism just waned a bit. The next 8 games are critical, and the Sioux will need everybody to step up in order to keep their heads above water until they can get healthy, if that is even possible with such a short bench.

So will he come back sooner than he should to be able to play in the World Junior tournament at Christmas? My optimism just waned a bit. The next 8 games are critical, and the Sioux will need everybody to step up in order to keep their heads above water until they can get healthy, if that is even possible with such a short bench.

I just hope he can play during crunch time when the Sioux are really going to need him, The Sioux play like UMN, UNO and Wisconsin all in January.

Via UNDSID on Twitter

Tough @UNDMHockey news: freshman Rocco Grimaldi is out 6-8 weeks with his injury. Video reaction from Rocco coming soon

Anyone else confused about how this injury was handled? Why in/out of the lineup vs. getting him 100% healthy? I guess this proves it wasn't worth it to push it, even if it was his idea.

Strange.

Can I assume correctly that the reason for the extended injury time is that he now required surgery? I can't think of any other reason why he would need this much more time off. If my assumption is correct then I believe the injury was indeed mishandled, he could have had surgery over a month ago.

Tough break for Rocco. As much as it is a bummer for us not to see him skating it is definitely has to be 10x more frustrating for him not being able to play up to his full potential due to a nagging injury.

I totally agree, anyone who has ever played sports knows how hard it is to watch your team play without you. It is even worse watching your team struggle and knowing you can be the difference maker to help the team get over the hump.

I'm beginning to wonder now if UND can make the second half surge they're accustomed too. Obviously they'll improve, but looking at the roster this team just doesn't even compare to any of Haks past teams in talent. Even with Grimaldi in the lineup I don't think this team would be good enough for a top 4 spot in the WCHA. With a fully healthy lineup I would probably put them in the 4-7 range. They're not as good as Minnesota, or Duluth in my opinion. Anyone who has watched Duluth this year knows what I mean. We'll find out if they can compete with CC this weekend and then I'm not sure they are as good as Denver either.

Only time will tell, but I just can't see the second half surge happening, at least not as much of a surge as fans are used too, i.e. - 10+ game unbeaten streaks.

I'm beginning to wonder now if UND can make the second half surge they're accustomed too. Obviously they'll improve, but looking at the roster this team just doesn't even compare to any of Haks past teams in talent. Even with Grimaldi in the lineup I don't think this team would be good enough for a top 4 spot in the WCHA. With a fully healthy lineup I would probably put them in the 4-7 range. They're not as good as Minnesota, or Duluth in my opinion. Anyone who has watched Duluth this year knows what I mean. We'll find out if they can compete with CC this weekend and then I'm not sure they are as good as Denver either.

Only time will tell, but I just can't see the second half surge happening, at least not as much of a surge as fans are used too, i.e. - 10+ game unbeaten streaks.

Duluth has currently swept the #9, 10, and 12th teams(all at home) in this league and taken 3 points from a Denver team that has been all over the map(beat BC, 1 point vs. Michigan Tech). They have looked extremely good at times that I watched them, but am not sure if it's the competition, home ice(10 of 14 games have been at Amsoil), or if they really are a top 5 team in the country.

So, they've managed to do what they're supposed to do for the most part: Sweep at home(minus MN), Split on the road(3 pts. vs Denver).

Dell received a pro offer last spring but decided to return. Will he stay for his senior year?

If he doesn't stay, I sure hope there is another solid recruit coming in with Zane. All the eggs in one basket could be dangerous with a freshman goaltender. I am kind of surprised there wasn't one brought in this year to gain experience. You had to know Dell is a big flight risk after this season. It seems like they are counting on Zane to be the man before he has even stepped on campus. However, on the positive side if Dell stays and is able to mentor Zane for a season it will look like brilliant planning. I guess trust in Hakstol is the best practice.

I certainly wasn't expecting that sweep...but I'll take it!! Kristo really showed us a completely different level this weekend. We've seen glimpses before, but he maintained that level of play the entire 120 minutes. Simply a fantastic weekend for him.

Apparently there was an early morning skate for the boys on Monday morning after a less than impressive game on Sunday. Looks like the coaching staff has their attention again.

34 points is a reasonable goal for this team.

sweep UAA

split with UNO

split with Gophs,

split at SCSU

sweep bucky at home

split at UMD

sweep Tech

split at Denver

sweep Mankato

and Beat the Russians, harvard twice, and Clarkson and we are sitting 22-12-1 when it's all said and done

34 points is a reasonable goal for this team.

sweep UAA

split with UNO

split with Gophs,

split at SCSU

sweep bucky at home

split at UMD

sweep Tech

split at Denver

sweep Mankato

and Beat the Russians, harvard twice, and Clarkson and we are sitting 22-12-1 when it's all said and done

Good post. Extremely realistic results. Hopefully the Sioux are able to get a sweep in one of those likely split series, or three of four.