SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

No, probably (dmen seem to take longer to develop), and maybe

You really think Nelson is a "maybe"? I don't see him leaving after just two years unless the rest of his season this year is Frattin-esque. Give him at least one more year to gain strength on the puck and then maybe. But if he stays four years, his senior year will remind us of Vande Velde (they have the same number, too) as far as being a dominant power forward.

You really think Nelson is a "maybe"? I don't see him leaving after just two years unless the rest of his season this year is Frattin-esque. Give him at least one more year to gain strength on the puck and then maybe. But if he stays four years, his senior year will remind us of Vande Velde (they have the same number, too) as far as being a dominant power forward.

I think there are a lot of people that could be a "maybe", Who knows what goes on with the management of NHL teams, especially considering Nelson is a 1st round draft pick. Finley was the only 1st rounder that stayed all four years. It would be nice if Kristo and Knight would come back, but if you are an NHL team, do you run the risk of a Gregoire-type of situation where free agency is a possibility? Nobody thought Hextall was even a "maybe" but he made up his mind to leave pretty quick. All we can do is speculate, because each guy has their own reasons for moving on, including those that aren't moving on to the next level.

Good post. Extremely realistic results. Hopefully the Sioux are able to get a sweep in one of those likely split series, or three of four.

Realistic maybe, but some experts would have had us splitting with Wisconsin in Madison, sweeping Bemidji, and splitting with CC at best. Most times people expect a sweep in Anchorage, yet our record there is barely .500 over the last 30+ games. It will be interesting to see how those series actually play out. Suffice it to say, if the Sioux can bring it like they did offensively against CC, they should hold their own against anybody.

I think the hardest part about playing UAA is coming off the electricity that filled REA this weekend. The crowd has been somewhat poor this year in terms of excitement but it was awesome this weekend against CC. Now, you go up to Alaska with a rink that has a high school feel to it in comparison. You have to be self-motivated, and sometimes it's tough after a long plane ride.

Remember, we only tied the first night last year after a slight collapse (if I remember right).

We need every point we can. Now, it's a matter of consistency. Which team are we? The one that was struggling to score and win games, or the one that just swept CC.

Realistic maybe, but some experts would have had us splitting with Wisconsin in Madison, sweeping Bemidji, and splitting with CC at best. Most times people expect a sweep in Anchorage, yet our record there is barely .500 over the last 30+ games. It will be interesting to see how those series actually play out. Suffice it to say, if the Sioux can bring it like they did offensively against CC, they should hold their own against anybody.

I think a split in Alaska might be more realistic.

Alaska is Alaska, and CC is sloppy defensively, but I really like this team. There is a Blaisness about them (especially the freshmen) with their ability to disrupt with speed and quickness. I didn't watch the game last night, but Hennessey made it sound like they are back-checking and covering better in front of the net. When did the Sioux last have a defenseman who is as good as Blood has been in all areas of the game?

Keep the maturation process going and get Rocco healthy and these guys could be dangerous in late Feb. They don't have the depth to be as predictably tough as last year's team, but they will be fun to watch.

Just got my hockey tickets in the mail for the Dec 30th Harvard game. My son has never been to a hockey game and after seeing UND hockey on tv he really wants to see the Ralph, and I haven't been to a game for about 3 years so I cannot wait to go either.

Just got my hockey tickets in the mail for the Dec 30th Harvard game. My son has never been to a hockey game and after seeing UND hockey on tv he really wants to see the Ralph, and I haven't been to a game for about 3 years so I cannot wait to go either.

You are a great father! (How old is your son?)

UND to get Huntsville's goalie after program folds

The Brockville, Ont., product has found a silver lining: He will now play for one of college hockey’s powerhouse programs next season.

Saunders will transfer to UND next fall, where he will be eligible immediately as a junior. He will provide UND with an experienced goaltender with size — he’s 6-foot-3, 190 pounds.

He said that UND showed interest in him and talked to him while he was playing for the Brockville Braves of the Central Junior A Hockey League.

“This kind of fell in my lap,” he said. “I’m obviously excited about it more than anything. I respect how well the program is run and the school. I had a couple of other schools interested, but I had talked to North Dakota when I was in juniors and knew a couple of their coaches already. Once I heard they were interested, I had my heart set on UND from the start.”

It will be nice to have an experienced goalie to help ease the transition for Gothberg in two years, assuming Dell sticks around for his senior year.

I am not sure that we will see him... I don't know if we can kick dirt on the UAH Hockey program just yet.

The fight to save Alabama-Huntsville hockey continues on two fronts.Alabama state representative Phil Williams told College Hockey News that he's working on legislation that will split Huntsville — and the Birmingham campus, as well — out of the University of Alabama system.

Rep. Williams hopes this will be a first step in saving hockey at UAH. "(The idea) is becoming very popular around the state," Williams said.

In addition, Chargers hockey alumnus Nathan Bowen is spearheading a meeting this evening with new UAH president Robert Altenkirch. In it, he is expected to present a funding plan, including new donors.

• 4 weeks later...

Edmonton's Pipeline Radio Show will be dedicating a segment this morning to the celebration of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo

Segment 4: As of Jan 1st 2012 it's been decreed that the NCAA team in Grand Forks will lose its nickname. In a form of protest to that decision and to celebrate the name, we'll have Brad Elliot Schlossman on, he is the beat writer covering THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX. Plus comments from Sioux members past and present.

You can listen live online, here

Was not sure where to put this question but as part of the NCAA'S sanctions if UND were to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname they could not host playoffs in any sport. Would this include the hockey team not hosting the first round of the WCHA playoffs if they were a top five team in the standings.

Was not sure where to put this question but as part of the NCAA'S sanctions if UND were to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname they could not host playoffs in any sport. Would this include the hockey team not hosting the first round of the WCHA playoffs if they were a top five team in the standings.

Nope, just NCAA playoffs (at this point)

Seriously, the WCHA is all about money and profit... The NCHC UND is a founding charter member of the conference and it's not going to happen.

Seriously, the WCHA is all about money and profit... The NCHC UND is a founding charter member of the conference and it's not going to happen.

True, UND is a founding charter member of the NCHC but the WCHA, NCHC, UND etc is under the NCAA umbrella. Like Sicatoka said, The WCHA could adopt the NCAA policy. Who knows, the NCHA could also adopt the NCAA policy. I also doubt this would happen because of the money that would be generated from REA in a playoff series.