SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

Here are the weight gains/ losses from last season to this season. Everyone else stayed the same.

2 MacWilliam, Andrew D 6-2 230, gained 10 pounds

4 Forbort, Derek D 6-5 207, gained 7 pounds

10 Knight, Corban F 6-2 193, gained 2 pounds

14 Dickin, Taylor F 6-2 201, gained 11 pounds

18 Simpson, Dillon D 6-2 191, gained 14 pounds

20 Gleason, Joe D 5-9 182, gained 7 pounds

24 Blood, Ben D 6-4 226, gained 9 pounds

27 Rowney, Carter F 6-2 208, gained 6 pounds

29 Nelson, Brock F 6-4 192, gained 7 pounds

31 Eidsness, Brad G 6-0 184, gained 7 pounds

32 Dell, Aaron G 6-0 209, gained 18 pounds

35 Maris, Tate G 5-10 175, lost 6 pounds

• Upvote 1

If that is the case I would hope that the NCHC does not hire Greg Sheppard or some of his cronies we know the bad ones (Todd Anderson, Don Adam just to single out a few) and that the new league would make it apparent that we want to see a more wide open game and not parity for the sake of having more teams in the race at season's end. Let the WCHA have that philosophy let keep it even and close. I want the refs to call the game per the rule book not by the score board.

The wide open game you talk about is in the WCHA. The issue is in the play in the WCHA. The WCHA still likes the clutch-and-grab style of hockey. Every league follows the NCAA Rulebook. Why is it that people across hockey don't like the WCHA officials? 1 reason people don't like them (especially when it comes to NCAA Tournament time is because they allow more physical play than do other league's officials. In my mind that is allowing a more wide open game. However more teams like the clutch-and-grab style in the WCHA. That to me is more a coaching issue. Part of the reason for the parity in the WCHA, UAA was better this past year, Gophers have struggled, UNO, and Bemidji are strong teams. Sure the races are closer but is that the officials or just a sign of expansion and teams becoming more competitive?

The NCHC would be wise to become a link in USA Hockey's Officials Development Program. The USHL is part of this program.

The program is designed to develop officials for international and professional competition. Just like players, the officials are taught, graded, and promoted based on who has the skill and performance to keep moving up through the ranks.

I'd like to see the NCHC get involved with it as the next step after juniors but before the pro ranks. I'd like the officials to be on a tenure-track (pressing to get better, knowing they are being evaluated and graded nightly, and looking to move to bigger things) rather than just be tenured, be "fat, dumb, and happy" where they are, and knowing no matter how they ignore the rule book they won't be moved out.

A direct link I think is a bit much. There are a health number of USA Hockey Officials that are also NCAA officials in a variety of leagues.

The wide open game you talk about is in the WCHA. The issue is in the play in the WCHA. The WCHA still likes the clutch-and-grab style of hockey. Every league follows the NCAA Rulebook. Why is it that people across hockey don't like the WCHA officials? 1 reason people don't like them (especially when it comes to NCAA Tournament time is because they allow more physical play than do other league's officials. In my mind that is allowing a more wide open game. However more teams like the clutch-and-grab style in the WCHA. That to me is more a coaching issue. Part of the reason for the parity in the WCHA, UAA was better this past year, Gophers have struggled, UNO, and Bemidji are strong teams. Sure the races are closer but is that the officials or just a sign of expansion and teams becoming more competitive?

Just to clarify, allowing the clutching and grabbing is not allowing a more wide open game.

Physical play is fine I am all for it but when you let obvious calls go (obstruction, hooking holding, cross checks) you're screwing with the integrity of the game. We don't want to see parity and I don't want to see 7 teams vying for the final home playoff spot just so we can sell tickets, the WCHA is run by a bumbling buffoon and McLeod and Shep need to go... I want to see the best teams win in a game, I don't want to see an obvious goal waved off when it should be called a goal. The ref is there to call the game objectively not willy nilly just call what they want and make up !@#$ as they go...

Here are the weight gains/ losses from last season to this season. Everyone else stayed the same.

2 MacWilliam, Andrew D 6-2 230, gained 10 pounds

4 Forbort, Derek D 6-5 207, gained 7 pounds

10 Knight, Corban F 6-2 193, gained 2 pounds

14 Dickin, Taylor F 6-2 201, gained 11 pounds

18 Simpson, Dillon D 6-2 191, gained 14 pounds

20 Gleason, Joe D 5-9 182, gained 7 pounds

24 Blood, Ben D 6-4 226, gained 9 pounds

27 Rowney, Carter F 6-2 208, gained 6 pounds

29 Nelson, Brock F 6-4 192, gained 7 pounds

31 Eidsness, Brad G 6-0 184, gained 7 pounds

32 Dell, Aaron G 6-0 209, gained 18 pounds

35 Maris, Tate G 5-10 175, lost 6 pounds

Thanks or the analysis +1, I am a little disappointed that Nelson is only up 7, it seems he and Simpson needed it the most. In fairness he entered the summer hurt.

I'm with Sica on this.

I think we should link in with USA Hockey Official Development Program.

I'm also very interested in who might they get to lead the officials. Will they make a big splash, such as going after perhaps a former NHL official if that person wanted to try out the administrative side of the game (such as Bill McCreary just retired)? Will they go with someone who is already in the field at some level (such as the head of officials for the USHL or perhaps an assistant head of officials for the AHL or even NHL if there is one?)?

Or will they hire me, aka somebody completely out of left field?

I hope beyond hope that there are NO WCHA followers into the NCHC officiating wise. We can't go back in time to get the good Campion (pre-ACL tear).

Oh hey, what about bringing Mike Schmitt out of retirement to do the job? He seemed like a decent WCHA official back in the day....

We could hire Randy Schmidt to be the head custodian? :D

I'm with Sica on this.

I think we should link in with USA Hockey Official Development Program.

I'm also very interested in who might they get to lead the officials. Will they make a big splash, such as going after perhaps a former NHL official if that person wanted to try out the administrative side of the game (such as Bill McCreary just retired)? Will they go with someone who is already in the field at some level (such as the head of officials for the USHL or perhaps an assistant head of officials for the AHL or even NHL if there is one?)?

Or will they hire me, aka somebody completely out of left field?

I hope beyond hope that there are NO WCHA followers into the NCHC officiating wise. We can't go back in time to get the good Campion (pre-ACL tear).

Oh hey, what about bringing Mike Schmitt out of retirement to do the job? He seemed like a decent WCHA official back in the day....

We could hire Randy Schmidt to be the head custodian? :D

Is Medo Martinelli still available? :)

I look for these 4 players to have huge seasons

Danny Kristo - big time speed and this could be his time to really shine. Not that he hasn't but I really think Danny is going to have a hell of a year!

Corban Knight - has been so reliable and kind of under the radar unless youre his opponent. But not anymore. May be one of the best all around forwards in the nation.

Brock Nelson - big time hands, guess it's in the water up in warroad with him and tj. we saw glimpses last year of what he can do. I'm sure he's worked his butt off this summer and will be ready to play a top forward spot for the sioux.

Rocco Grimaldi - cant wait to see these skills at the Ralph very soon! Is expected and will have am immediate impact for this Sioux squad. Will be interesting to see who he plays next to. And then the Rocco chants I'm sure will become a staple!

My 4 other freshman to have an impact...

Macmillin

Odonnell

Mattson

St Clair

X factor - Dillon Simpson...great hockey sense from what we saw as the youngest player in the nation iirc. Guessing he will be a main factor on the pp with forbort as well. Dillon has some big time tools on that blueline and as hak as mentioned his role will be much bigger come oct 7.

If Dell can keep his solid play up this team will win a lot of games, again! Mac and Blood could be most physical d men in the country and glad they are wearing the Sioux sweater! Bruising future NHL d men.

Bring on the ice breaker and hope we get a crack at BC in the home rink!! Go Sioux

Brock Nelson - big time hands, guess it's in the water up in warroad with him and tj. we saw glimpses last year of what he can do. I'm sure he's worked his butt off this summer and will be ready to play a top forward spot for the sioux.

Hopefully Brock Nelson can be stronger on his feet, last season he took a beating and was easy to knock off the puck, I am hoping put some muscle on his frame this off season.

So...having not seen a number of the guys play, here are my thoughts for initial line combos-

Scoring 1: Knight centering Kristo and Grimaldi (2 guys on the top line that can win big draws is important)

Scoring 2: Nelson centering Rodwell and Parks

Scoring 3: Rowney centering O'Donnel and MacMillan (keep the BC teammates together)

Energy: Lammy centering Dickin and St. Clair

D1: Blood and Forbert

D2: Mac and Simpson

D3: Gleason and Mattson

G1: Dell

G2: Eids

So...having not seen a number of the guys play, here are my thoughts for initial line combos-

Scoring 1: Knight centering Kristo and Grimaldi (2 guys on the top line that can win big draws is important)

Scoring 2: Nelson centering Rodwell and Parks

Scoring 3: Rowney centering O'Donnel and MacMillan (keep the BC teammates together)

Energy: Lammy centering Dickin and St. Clair

D1: Blood and Forbert

D2: Mac and Simpson

D3: Gleason and Mattson

G1: Dell

G2: Eids

I like your combo's, the only thing I would change is switching Parks and MacMillan, Hakstol has stated in interviews that MacMillan should play a largo role on this team as a freshman

Kristo-Knight-Grimaldi

MacMillan-Nelson-Rodwell

O'Donnell-Rowney-Parks

Dickin-Lamoureux-St. Clair

D pairings stay the same, those first two pairs will be seeing a lot of ice time this year.

This years team reminds me of the last Sioux team to play in the national championship, in the 2004-2005 season. Not entirely age wise, but you get my point.

~A good defensive core, with some solid defensemen.

-That team had Greene, Fuher, Schneider, Smaby, Jones

-This years team will have a fantastic defensive core.

~Good goaltending

-Parise and Lamoureax were a good combo

-I believe Dell and Eidsness are a good combo

~Young goal scorers

-That team had Travis Zajac, Drew Stafford, Rusty Spirko (I know his name), etc.

-This team has Rocco Grimaldi, Parks, MacMillan, a number of young guys that can score.

~Role guys.

-That team had a bunch of seniors who were role guys.....Fylling, Canady, Massen, Jake Brandt (Was a huge team guy!)

-This years team has important role guys as well....Rowney, Lamoureax, (May be the most important role guy this year), Rodwell, probably St. Clair.

That team had a magical run the year after the team won the league, and got shut out in the NCAA's by an extremely hot goaltender. Not a lot was expected of them, but they turned some heads....The early season will provide struggles, but I think this years squad is very capable of a playoff run.

I'll give it a go.

MacMillan - Knight - Kristo

St. Clair - Nelson - Grimaldi

Dickin - Lamoureux - Rodwell

Odonnell - Rowney - Parks

Forbort - Blood

MacWilliam - Simpson

Gleason - Mattson

There will probably be so many different combos at the start of the year to see who has chemistry together, but that's my guess.

I'll give it a go.

MacMillan - Knight - Kristo

St. Clair - Nelson - Grimaldi

Dickin - Lamoureux - Rodwell

Odonnell - Rowney - Parks

Forbort - Blood

MacWilliam - Simpson

Gleason - Mattson

There will probably be so many different combos at the start of the year to see who has chemistry together, but that's my guess.

I would be shocked to se St. Clair teamed up with Nelson and Grimaldi. In my opinion he will be a 4th liner and will be fighting to dress every weekend. I have seen him play several times for the Force over the years and to me he is more of a grinder that works hard but just doesn't quite have the skill set to skate with those 2 guys. I have been known to wrong on several occassions so take it for what it is worth.

I would be shocked to se St. Clair teamed up with Nelson and Grimaldi. In my opinion he will be a 4th liner and will be fighting to dress every weekend. I have seen him play several times for the Force over the years and to me he is more of a grinder that works hard but just doesn't quite have the skill set to skate with those 2 guys. I have been known to wrong on several occassions so take it for what it is worth.

I'm not going to judge someone I haven't seen play before, but based on what I've heard about St Clair, I agree with this. I see him as more of a 3rd/4th liner. Not sure how much he'll play this year, but I think he'll definitely be an important part of this team over his time here.

I agree with Sioux Rube, I wouldn't be surprised to see him fighting for time to crack the line up.

He might be switched around with Parks, but to say that any player doesn't have the skill set to skate with other guys on a college team seems a bit of a stretch, especially when good lines often times contain players that complement each other with different skills.

He might be switched around with Parks, but to say that any player doesn't have the skill set to skate with other guys on a college team seems a bit of a stretch, especially when good lines often times contain players that complement each other with different skills.

Do you think every NHLer has the same skill set as the next guy? Like I said the guy is a more of a grinder type player who I think will end up on a checking line with say Mario. Just my opinion from what I have seen of him. Hell I hope St. Clair scores 25 goals and proves me completely wrong.