SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

24 minutes ago, RhettRingers said:

Tampa or bust baby! This D core is going to rival that 2016 team. Our top 9 will be solid. I think Berry is all in this next year.

This could be a fun comparison. That 2016 team was legitimately loaded. Maybe in the 22-23 team thread we should line this up. My first instinct is 2016 has more overall talent. 

On 5/9/2022 at 1:48 PM, burd said:

But if UMD finishes ahead of UND in 22-23, I say we fire Berry and hire a guy who will win natties every 5 years.   Minimum.  

By that measure of a championship every five years, Duluth would have dumped Sandelin after his 6 year drought from 2011. Who should have UMD replaced him with?

1 hour ago, Tbone said:

By that measure of a championship every five years, Duluth would have dumped Sandelin after his 6 year drought from 2011. Who should have UMD replaced him with?

Just fire their arse, worry about who will replace them later.   We have earned at least that much as fans.  

5 hours ago, burd said:

Just fire their arse, worry about who will replace them later.   We have earned at least that much as fans.  

How did we earn it? 
Buy paying for tickets? For showing up on a Saturday night because it's winter and we have nothing else to do?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say O McLaughlin is injured. Was putting up video game number mid season then slowed considerably towards the end of the year. His playoff numbers are way off mark too. Pts are obviously not there but it’s his shooting totals that look off. Could be playing through injury.

singleton is another one that really went on a downward spiral. Started out the year with a bang and just dried up.

25 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say O McLaughlin is injured. Was putting up video game number mid season then slowed considerably towards the end of the year. His playoff numbers are way off mark too. Pts are obviously not there but it’s his shooting totals that look off. Could be playing through injury.

singleton is another one that really went on a downward spiral. Started out the year with a bang and just dried up.

Each of the guys you mention is in their first full year of a higher level. The grind of a longer season, and the league learning how to deal with them, comes into play. What'll be interesting is how they learn and adapt. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Each of the guys you mention is in their first full year of a higher level. The grind of a longer season, and the league learning how to deal with them, comes into play. What'll be interesting is how they learn and adapt. 

Strinden wasn't ripping it up in the playoffs either.  I think like any playoff hockey, things tighten up substantially, and you don't see the video game scores you see in the regular season.  

On 5/17/2022 at 9:48 AM, The Sicatoka said:

They are also small guys, too, iirc.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AJS said:

Slipec playing in the Chicago Steel Development Camp All-Star Game (along with Perron and Livanavage). Would be great if he decided to play in the USHL this year instead of the BCHL.

I think it's a good bet considering his brother will be in Omaha this coming season.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Slipec playing in the Chicago Steel Development Camp All-Star Game (along with Perron and Livanavage). Would be great if he decided to play in the USHL this year instead of the BCHL.

I think it could continue to be a trend- seeing more Canadians come down to the USHL. With the restrictions in Canada due to Covid and the uncertainty of seasons being played the last few years, more kids started to make the move and have had success so I could see it gaining traction. 

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think it could continue to be a trend- seeing more Canadians come down to the USHL. With the restrictions in Canada due to Covid and the uncertainty of seasons being played the last few years, more kids started to make the move and have had success so I could see it gaining traction. 

Significantly tougher league too. Nice ramp up for him heading into his draft year (I believe). Also, if he’s playing for Chicago he’s guaranteed to play with other highly skilled kids too. Perfect spot to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hobie Hedquist getting a little love in the NHL piece on possible late round goalie picks.  Here is the article about the upcoming North American goalie prospects for this year's draft.

Top goalie prospects discussed ahead of 2022 NHL Draft

Personally, I think it would be a stretch for him to be drafted, but he did very well last season, and they mention he has a good upside.  Hopefully he will continue to develop as he will not be pushed to play this year.  I have a lot of confidence in Karl, and this could be a great fit in a couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...