SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

8 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Would you guys consider 37 pts in 105 games goid?

or how about 56 pts in 131 games?

#grinderz < #goalscores

takes goals to win games 

Woulda been hard for Spicer to score this year from the bleachers. Hence why he chose to go elsewhere. #MoveOn

12 hours ago, tnt said:

So you think a good policy is to bring in guys when they want to come in so you don’t lose them?  Agree with the premise that if he comes in and sits, he enters the transfer portal next year.  

So an extra year of Hain and Senden over one year of Spicer. I would have taken the latter. But of course I would still choose our incoming freshman over him. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

So an extra year of Hain and Senden over one year of Spicer. I would have taken the latter. But of course I would still choose our incoming freshman over him. 

I understand taking four years (potentially) of Spicer, but you would have taken one year of Spicer over one additional year of Senden and Hain? So, this coming season, for one year, you would rather have Spicer?

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

I understand taking four years (potentially) of Spicer, but you would have taken one year of Spicer over one more additional year of Senden and Hain? So, this coming season, for one year, you would rather have Spicer?

Yes. Who knows where Hain is after his injury and how long he will take to get back to 100% game shape. Senden, he's a leadership guy sure but a 5th year senior should be top 6 and he's not it. We need players that can score. 

8 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Yes. Who knows where Hain is after his injury and how long he will take to get back to 100% game shape. Senden, he's a leadership guy sure but a 5th year senior should be top 6 and he's not it. We need players that can score. 

Senden was never going to be top 6. We are adding arguably the most prolific scoring recruiting class UND has ever seen in Blake, James, McLaughlin, and Strinden. Spicer was NEVER going to see top 6 minutes this year.

I just don't think for a minute that Spicer would come in here and contribute much this season. Him not having a spot feels like a pretty clear indication of that. He hasn't scored much at all in recent years. Why would he do so stepping right into the NCHC at MAYBE fourth line minutes, if at all? What makes you think he will/would? 

Guess will find out soon enough.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Finally someone that understands it takes playas that score to win games

Final Central Scouting draft rankings has Spicer at 121. A sixth-rounder. What are we getting so upset about!?

Again, he'll be a fine college player, but why are we so butthurt about this kid MAKING HIS OWN DECISION and leaving UND??

If he wasn't from Grand Forks, would we care?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Senden and Hain both have to be 20+ point guys this coming season for kicking Spicer to the curb for this to make any sense IMO.

Senden was three points short of that last season; Hain was on pace for that before the injury. You've set the bar too low. 

And Spicer wasn't kicked out; he was told his slot is fall of 2023. He chose otherwise. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Senden and Hain both have to be 20+ point guys this coming season for kicking Spicer to the curb for this to make any sense IMO.

One shot at the #natty for a sixth rounder... I understand why we are all sad about him, but the outrage over this kid is wild.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

One shot at the #natty for a sixth rounder... I understand why we are all sad about him, but the outrage over this kid is wild.

This I agree with. I have my foot in a few different camps. Like almost everyone else, he would have been my 5th choice to come in this Fall from the incoming Freshman class. At the same time, if I was constructing a 15/16 person forward group for next year, he would have been on it. It's a nice pick up for Duluth, don't get me wrong, but I am surprised with how "sought after" he seemed to be. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

This I agree with. I have my foot in a few different camps. Like almost everyone else, he would have been my 5th choice to come in this Fall from the incoming Freshman class. At the same time, if I was constructing a 15/16 person forward group for next year, he would have been on it. It's a nice pick up for Duluth, don't get me wrong, but I am surprised with how "sought after" he seemed to be. 

We'll find out how good he is as a 18 year old in the NCHC and then, of course, however long he stays in college. I'm sure this board will forget about him ;)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

One shot at the #natty for a sixth rounder... 

If you believe you have a shot at a green banner and the choice to fill the forward card out is your captain and an alternate or an unknown quantity at the collegiate level ... um ... yeah ... 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If you believe you have a shot at a green banner and the choice to fill the forward card out is your captain and an alternate or an unknown quantity at the collegiate level ... um ... yeah ... 

Correct. Which is why I was VERY confused about why anyone would pick Spicer over the likes of those two this season. Long term, I can see why. I don't necessarily agree, but I can understand the argument. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Final NHL Central Scouting ranks per Schlossy's article:

54. Livanavage, UND
97. Damion Gardner, Clarkson
121. Spicer, UMD

Livanavage is five weeks older than Spicer. 

And why aren't our knickers in a twist over losing a "local" (Gardner, from Warroad) to ... Clarkson:blink:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

That was not the decision, it wasn't an either/or situation.  Coaches are not bringing in players and ruin their development just because the player thinks he should come in.  Like I said, the same people crying over not bringing him in are the ones that say UND has no talent, when in fact it is young talent that just needs to follow the progression.  In this case the progression was another year of juniors.  Schlossman's article showing how rare it is for players that young to come to campus was very interesting, and I don't consider Spicer to be a rare talent, so why should he be treated like one.  Forney, Bishop, Fylling, McKinnon, McLean, and on down the line, there have been guys that came in too young and had to be sent back for seasoning.  When you are going to be a late round draft pick, I am sure the teams interested are expecting you to take your time to develop, so why rush things.  

• Upvote 1