SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

12 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I don't know about scholarship room but if Berry didn't bring back two 5th year seniors there would be room on the roster. 

Exactly what I was thinking. I would’ve told either or both thank you for the 4 years but it’s time to move on and make room for new blood. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I would’ve told either or both thank you for the 4 years but it’s time to move on and make room for new blood. 

If Berry's plan is to go all-in for next year, then I agree with him on keeping Senden/Hain.  Spicer has the potential to be a very good college player, but it might take him a year or two before he is a consistent producer.  Before his injury, Hain was our leading goal-scorer...if he is fully rehabbed and starts off next season in the same way as last, he could have a great year.

Spicer was the least prepared for college among our five forward recruits that could come in (supposedly)...we'll see next season if Berry made the correct call or not. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, brianvf said:

If Berry's plan is to go all-in for next year, then I agree with him on keeping Senden/Hain.  Spicer has the potential to be a very good college player, but it might take him a year or two before he is a consistent producer.  Before his injury, Hain was our leading goal-scorer...if he is fully rehabbed and starts off next season in the same way as last, he could have a great year.

Spicer was the least prepared for college among our five forward recruits that could come in (supposedly)...we'll see next season if Berry made the correct call or not. 

I am more amenable to Hain coming back as his senior season ended prematurely due to injury and for as much as I like Senden and the leadership he brings to the team, I just don’t think him returning moves the needle a whole lot to where someone would say “We really need him back!”

Is what it is and I’ll gladly take it all back if Senden helps win #9. :) 

39 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I am more amenable to Hain coming back as his senior season ended prematurely due to injury and for as much as I like Senden and the leadership he brings to the team, I just don’t think him returning moves the needle a whole lot to where someone would say “We really need him back!”

Is what it is and I’ll gladly take it all back if Senden helps win #9. :) 

That line was dominant when they were together, but when parts were missing at times, not as much.  Spicer will obviously get more playing time with Duluth with their losses.

Any time I read a Wellens article it makes me thankful for Schloss. 

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-division-1/nchc/umd-mens-hockey-bulldogs-land-usa-hockey-ntdp-center-cole-spicer-for-2022-23-season

Seriously, the lede starts off with a sentence that an editor would rewrite:

"

The Grand Forks native was originally committed to North Dakota, having already signed an NLI.

"

The was serves no purpose, there's passive voice, and he assumes the audience knows what an NLI is.

The quote he pulled from Spicer is garbage too. Then he randomly inserts a tweet that he doesn't even address.

I think the trying to downplay the loss of a highly skilled USNDTP player to bring back two solid but not spectacular 5th year players......lost a lot of traction once a coach that is arguably better than Berry had no issue jumping at the chance to bring Spicer in this year.  

11 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I think the trying to downplay the loss of a highly skilled USNDTP player to bring back two solid but not spectacular 5th year players......lost a lot of traction once a coach that is arguably better than Berry had no issue jumping at the chance to bring Spicer in this year.  

Didn't lose traction with me.   But what do I know?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

So you think a good policy is to bring in guys when they want to come in so you don’t lose them?  Agree with the premise that if he comes in and sits, he enters the transfer portal next year.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I'm not trying to downplay it.  I'd for sure rather Spicer, especially being a skilled hometown kid, end up at UND.  But that's not what ended up happening.

And of course Sandelin had no issue bringing in Spicer...UMD lost 13 players from their team this year.  And they only had 11 freshmen and transfers lined up to replace them.  So they needed Spicer and, if anything, still need at least one more player for this fall.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I don't know about scholarship room but if Berry didn't bring back two 5th year seniors there would be room on the roster. 

Funny, the same people that call a player a bust if they do nothing their freshmen year and shortly beyond and call for Berry to ditch them, want Berry to bring in a guy who they deem isn’t ready, because he could be something a couple years down the road, knowing he most likely will leave anyway because his advisors think he is the next Jonathan Toews.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Ryan St Louis - same height, same weight, same stats his last season on NDTP; in the transfer portal from NE'n. 
Ryder Donovan - six career goals in three seasons at UW and in the portal
Frankly, I see Mister Spicer on the same path. If I'm wrong I'll own it. 

I just don't get why guys are afraid of taking the normal, measured path (meaning playing an age 18, post-HS, year in Junior A before college) and being "the man" on a team for a season. Nope, gotta always try to "play up" a year. 

Side bar on same/similar topic: It drives me crazy when kids think they need to be taking geometry as 8th graders and algebra II as a freshman in HS. "Look at me! I took pre-calc as a soph!" ... and you didn't have any rigor (meaning you went through the motions to get a grade, but have no understanding much less conceptualization) and forgot it all when you got to college. Sometimes 9-10-11-12, algebra, geometry, algebra II, pre-calc/trig, feels like a slow path but it's the path that develops the total understanding and retention. It develops a total well-rounded ... "player". 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

I'd be more :angry::angry::angry: if we'd lost Strinden or James because we brought in Spicer instead.  ;) 

That's a good point, I see people upset that Spicer isn't coming here, but it's a no brainer between Dylan James and him. James is a projected second round draft choice, Spicer isn't. Refreshing our memory: players that were taken in the second round, Shane Pinto, Bobby Brink. I am taking that player. He was asked to play another year of junior, he decided that he wasn't. That's too bad. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

He (Spicer) was asked to play another year of junior, he decided that he wasn't. That's too bad. 

So the first time the coaches asked Spicer to put "team" ahead of "me" ... he balked. 

And what they asked would ultimately improve the "me". 

Um ... do I want that guy in The Room? 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So the first time the coaches asked Spicer to put "team" ahead of "me" ... he balked. 

Totally understand and appreciate when a player "buys into himself", but this doesn't feel like that. Feels like flat out bad advice. Maybe someone told him to "stick to his guns" and maybe UND would bite. As I type more about this player, I just realize how dumb this is and how all done I am with it lol. Good luck Spicer.

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No I don't. To play at UND you have to buy into the culture. If you listen to the players you don't hear the word "I" a lot. There's a reason for that. 

• Upvote 1

UND also chose to assume the risk of Spicer leaving by having no room for him which was by their own doing. I sincerely hope it pays off for UND. It’ll be interesting to look back on this when the 22-23 season concludes and then again when Spicer is done at UMD.

14 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

UND also chose to assume the risk of Spicer leaving by having no room for him which was by their own doing. 

I assumed it had more to do with what James was doing. When James scoring took off, he bumped ahead of Spicer and the coaches made the decision to bring in the more “ready” player. 
But I agree, it’ll be interesting to look back on this in a couple seasons to see if UND made the right call. 

Player  Season    Team                                                              Lge    GP       G    A    Pts    PIM    +/-
James (turns 19 in Oct) 2021-22    Sioux City Musketeers    USHL    62    28   33   61    39   18
Spicer (turns 18 in June) 2021-22    U.S. NTD Program         USHL    26    10    6     16    10    5    

I know which I'm bringing in to the last slot. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I assumed it had more to do with what James was doing. When James scoring took off, he bumped ahead of Spicer and the coaches made the decision to bring in the more “ready” player. 
But I agree, it’ll be interesting to look back on this in a couple seasons to see if UND made the right call. 

Agree, I’m sure that is part of it. I was more so guessing that it would’ve been a non-issue if all the seniors had concluded their time at UND. Berry & Co. took on the possibility of losing a recruit.