SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Yea, just listened to Matteau on The Pipeline Show. I hope the NHL teams that draft these two are pro-NCAA.

Agreed.

"I'm definitely keeping my options open" and "I'm really looking forward to being a Fighting Sioux...for now," is not quite what I wanted to hear. Hopefully the Sioux coaches can get him here.

I am agreement in that Matteau is definitely going to be tough to get here. I am thinking if he goes in the first round he heads to the Q. As for Schmaltz, I believe if he was going to go to the CHL he would have already done so. It sure would be nice if both hit campus next year though.

After all that went on with JT Miller this summer, until Matteau is in a Sioux uniform I will be a pessimist and assume we will not get him.

Wonder if the Sioux coaches have enough players that can change years to cover that scenario this time. I would assume guys like Gaarder and Pattyn aren't on scholarship, so the Sioux should be able to throw around a little more money for next year to make sure they aren't in the position they are this year. Any late bloomers, let's get that depth in here. Remember when we thought we had too much depth last year, and that depth was a blessing. Hopefully they can be ahead of the game this time should they have any defections. Cross your fingers that it isn't necessary.

The Windsor Spitfires are still strongly pursuing Jordan Schmaltz

For two years, the Spitfires have had their overtures rebuffed by Schmaltz and his family, who have son Nick Schmaltz eligible for the 2012 OHL Draft.

ā€œIt hasnā€™t been as pleasant as I had expected,ā€ Spitfires general manager Warren Rychel said. ā€œI think heā€™s making a mistake in not exploring his options.ā€

ā€œHe wonā€™t play four years of college hockey,ā€ Rychel said.

ā€œ(And) you canā€™t attend an NHL training camp when you go to college.ā€

ā€œHe has to make a decision,ā€ Boughner said.

ā€œCollege is the right decision for some guys, but a guy like that, weā€™re the one that going to get you prepared for the NHL.ā€

ā€œ(Schmaltz) should pick up and phone and call Cam Fowler or his dad should pick up a phone and call Perry Fowler (Camā€™s dad) or pick up the phone and talk to Jack Campbell, (who walked away from a scholarship at the University of Michigan to join the Spitfires).ā€

These Fuc*ing Canadian junior teams trying to steal all our players....PIS#SES me off big time!

Wow, are those Spitfire d-bags arrogant or what? That whole article was so condescending it wasn't even funny.

Between this crap and the Matteau thing, I think Schmaltz is more likely to come, to be honest, especially with his brother committed and his family connections to UND. I just hope we get one of them here. Oh, and if decommits happen, if they could happen sooner rather than later, that'd be appreciated as well.

That or our coaching staff should start over-recruiting to plan for that situation.

Agreed but that is the problem. You are not going to be able to replace Schmaltz and Matteau at this point, guys who are supposed to be here next year with anything but recruited walk ons...aka Gaardner or whatever his name is Pattyn, Dickin Seinbel etc. Those players are not ready for primre time

ā€œIt hasnā€™t been as pleasant as I had expected,ā€ Spitfires general manager Warren Rychel said.

Haha. Must suck if they can't get every single recruit to come their way. Completely ignore them, Schmaltz's! :)

ā€œHe has to make a decision,ā€ Boughner said.

I believe that both he, and his brother, have already made decisions, idiot.

ā€œCollege is the right decision for some guys, but a guy like that, weā€™re the one that going to get you prepared for the NHL.ā€

UND seems to do pretty well with that as well. But I wouldn't expect him to realize/admit that.

Agreed, all Schmaltz has to do is talk to Parise, Toews, Zajac, and Oshie or the countless number of Sioux alums in regards to UND preparing guys for the NHL.

It seems I recall more saying that they wish they would have stayed instead of leaving early.

Just saw this come across on Jayson Hajdu's Twitter in response to the Windsor article:

"Entering '11-12, UND & Windsor had each produced 15 NHLers since '04. UND holds edge in GP (2648-1199), PTS (1345-384), YRS in NHL (53-36)."

"If raw data isn't your thing, "They develop pro hockey players in North Dakota." -- Pierre McGuire, NHL analyst and former NHL coach."

""There's no better place to go in college hockey in terms of a pro factory, a pro mindset, a pro mentality." -- TSN analyst Bob McKenzie"

"Facilities? "It's everything people have said about it, it's one of the most beautiful buildings we have in North America." -- Wayne Gretzky"

Pretty damn convincing rebuttal if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

Just saw this come across on Jayson Hajdu's Twitter in response to the Windsor article:

"Entering '11-12, UND & Windsor had each produced 15 NHLers since '04. UND holds edge in GP (2648-1199), PTS (1345-384), YRS in NHL (53-36)."

"If raw data isn't your thing, "They develop pro hockey players in North Dakota." -- Pierre McGuire, NHL analyst and former NHL coach."

""There's no better place to go in college hockey in terms of a pro factory, a pro mindset, a pro mentality." -- TSN analyst Bob McKenzie"

"Facilities? "It's everything people have said about it, it's one of the most beautiful buildings we have in North America." -- Wayne Gretzky"

Pretty damn convincing rebuttal if you ask me.

Nice work by Jayson on that one. Sick of the propaganda machine Canadian Juniors are.

Has anybody ever said, "I wish I'd stayed in Juniors"? Doubt it.

In fairness, it's a slightly different situation. Nearly all kids go the junior route because their primary dream is to play pro hockey some day. That's true of an increasing number of kids who go the NCAA route also, but many still go to college primarily to get a degree and enjoy the life. A fairer question would be to ask how many ex-junior players would say they're glad they went that route rather than college hockey.

I just hate how helpless the NCAA is against situations like these. Not only can the NCAA be used as leverage to get the player on the team he wants, but he also has the opportunity to get paid. Windsor can publish articles like these whenever they want and UND can not do anything about it, Hakstol can not even mention anything about the player until he has signed with the team, and Schmaltz has not signed yet. It is just a helpless situation and I see no way of it getting resolved.