SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

New Sioux recruit, Chris Wilkie of Omaha AAA U16 Lancers, the same team as Minot's Alex Schoenborn and Williston's Austin Hingtgen:

Press Release

Profile Page

Sounds like this young man will be a nice add to the team. Just hard to know that it will be at the very least three years but likely more, before we see him. A lot will change between now and then. Kind of surprised that Dean Blais wasn't after this guy being he is in Omaha.

Sounds like this young man will be a nice add to the team. Just hard to know that it will be at the very least three years but likely more, before we see him. A lot will change between now and then. Kind of surprised that Dean Blais wasn't after this guy being he is in Omaha.

It may be the reason that Blais was so adamant in rebuffing the story in the Herald about his words at the Sioux booster that he would only be in Omaha four years tops. The administration for recruiting purposes probably told him that he can't pin down something like that.

It may be the reason that Blais was so adamant in rebuffing the story in the Herald about his words at the Sioux booster that he would only be in Omaha four years tops. The administration for recruiting purposes probably told him that he can't pin down something like that.

Hey, don't try to pin down the Riverboat Gambler... :)

Committed Recruits Stats Update:

Clarke Saunders, G (UAH) - 21gp, .904 save %, 3.72 gaa, 2-17-1 record

Zane Gothberg, G (Fargo/USHL) - 23gp, .915 save %, 2.41 gaa, 13-8-2 record

Paul LaDue, D (Lincoln/USHL) - 29gp, 5g-12a-17p

Jordan Schmaltz, D (Green Bay/USHL) - 27gp, 9g-12a-21p

Geoff Crisfield, D (Vernon/BCHL) - 39gp, 0g-5a-5p (leads team with 63 PIM)

Miles Koules, F (USA U18) - 34gp, 4g-11a-15p

Luke Johnson, F (Lincoln/USHL) - 28gp, 8g-17a-25p

Drake Caggiula, F (Stouffville/OJHL) - 19gp, 8g-19a-27p

Jack Rowe, F (Cedar Rapids/USHL) - 21gp, 1g-6a-7p

Luke Voltin, F (USA U17) - 25gp, 5g-7a-12p

Charlie Pelnik, D (SSM U16) - 33gp, 3g-5a-8p

Keaton Thompson, D (USA U17) - 29gp, 3g-9a-12p

Nick Schmaltz, F (Green Bay/USHL) - 11gp, 1g-3a-4p

Chris Wilkie, F (Omaha U16) - 18gp, 22g-26a-48p

Does anyone know if Nick Schmaltz is still with Green Bay? Their site doesn't show him as playing a game with them since mid-Dec, although I believe he is currently overseas for an intl tourney.

Committed Recruits Stats Update:

Clarke Saunders, G (UAH) - 21gp, .904 save %, 3.72 gaa, 2-17-1 record

Zane Gothberg, G (Fargo/USHL) - 23gp, .915 save %, 2.41 gaa, 13-8-2 record

Paul LaDue, D (Lincoln/USHL) - 29gp, 5g-12a-17p

Jordan Schmaltz, D (Green Bay/USHL) - 27gp, 9g-12a-21p

Geoff Crisfield, D (Vernon/BCHL) - 39gp, 0g-5a-5p (leads team with 63 PIM)

Miles Koules, F (USA U18) - 34gp, 4g-11a-15p

Luke Johnson, F (Lincoln/USHL) - 28gp, 8g-17a-25p

Drake Caggiula, F (Stouffville/OJHL) - 19gp, 8g-19a-27p

Jack Rowe, F (Cedar Rapids/USHL) - 21gp, 1g-6a-7p

Luke Voltin, F (USA U17) - 25gp, 5g-7a-12p

Charlie Pelnik, D (SSM U16) - 33gp, 3g-5a-8p

Keaton Thompson, D (USA U17) - 29gp, 3g-9a-12p

Nick Schmaltz, F (Green Bay/USHL) - 11gp, 1g-3a-4p

Chris Wilkie, F (Omaha U16) - 18gp, 22g-26a-48p

Does anyone know if Nick Schmaltz is still with Green Bay? Their site doesn't show him as playing a game with them since mid-Dec, although I believe he is currently overseas for an intl tourney.

He was returned to his midget team. He played those 11 games so the Gamblers could retain his rights. I assume he'll be there full time next season.

That's what I was wondering. What's he going to do now?

His rights are protected by Portland. Can he even still go to the WHL this season? Is there a deadline for signing players? I know the trade deadline passed, so I'm not sure. I hope he still comes to UND, because it just seems like he genuinely wants to be here, but with his situation, going elsewhere wouldn't surprise me at all.

His rights are protected by Portland. Can he even still go to the WHL this season? Is there a deadline for signing players? I know the trade deadline passed, so I'm not sure. I hope he still comes to UND, because it just seems like he genuinely wants to be here, but with his situation, going elsewhere wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'd probably expect him to go to the USHL for the remainder of this year and then he'll decide after that. Maybe he'll stay there, maybe he won't.

This is becoming such a joke....why don't some of the Goofer recruits leave for major junior? You cannot replace these top end recruits no matter if you have a year or not. I predict Grimaldi will not be in a Sioux jersey next year either

This is becoming such a joke....why don't some of the Goofer recruits leave for major junior? You cannot replace these top end recruits no matter if you have a year or not. I predict Grimaldi will not be in a Sioux jersey next year either

Gopher recruits don't go major junior because 95% of them are from Minnesota, land of 5 D1 hockey programs. They grew up surrounded by college hockey and it's what they want to do. Very few Minnesotans go play in the WHL. Which is why I'm not sure if I believe Voltin will go to the WHL. But we'll see.

It's different with kids like Grimaldi that are from California because Seattle and Portland both have WHL teams and that's just a drive up the coast so they are more familiar. It's different in Minnesota.

Gopher recruits don't go major junior because 95% of them are from Minnesota, land of 5 D1 hockey programs. They grew up surrounded by college hockey and it's what they want to do. Very few Minnesotans go play in the WHL. Which is why I'm not sure if I believe Voltin will go to the WHL. But we'll see.

It's different with kids like Grimaldi that are from California because Seattle and Portland both have WHL teams and that's just a drive up the coast so they are more familiar. It's different in Minnesota.

I don't agree with you often :p But this is spot on

• Upvote 1

I'm answering my own question. :)

The CHL deadline for adding players is January 10th and has passed, so is he goes there it will be next season. But hopefully he doesn't.

Have you heard of Jerrod Reinholz, Peter Mueller, Sean(?) Roed, and Jim O'Brien. Then there was a defenseman whose name escapes me that left as well. Help me out here gopher fans, I think he wore # 22. Maybe there were a couple defensemen because I think Dan Welch went that route as well. Regardless, the sky is not falling, it happens.

Have you heard of Jerrod Reinholz, Peter Mueller, Sean(?) Roed, and Jim O'Brien. Then there was a defenseman whose name escapes me that left as well. Help me out here gopher fans, I think he wore # 22. Maybe there were a couple defensemen because I think Dan Welch went that route as well. Regardless, the sky is not falling, it happens.

Not to sure what Welch ended up doing. He got kicked out of the U for academics after his sophomore season and after that he went to Hastings Community College to try raise his grades and never came back. I never heard if he went to MJ or not.