SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

No Skippy, if you actually did something besides troll a fan message board maybe we wouldn't respond to you like that...

You treat every one of my posts as if Im trolling. I simply said Grimaldi, if drafted top ten likely will be a two year player and your head exploded.

You treat every one of my posts as if Im trolling. I simply said Grimaldi, if drafted top ten likely will be a two year player and your head exploded.

Because until you prove other wise in my opinion you're only here to cause trouble... I am sorry if I have you pegged wrong.

So you're just talking out of your rear end right? How do you know how long any of these players will stick with the Sioux or Gophers... Seriously!!!

He doesn't! Just like half the people on this board speculating about who is leaving for the Sioux. Nobody thought Hextall would leave. Everybody speculates left and right, but as I said before, statistically speaking first round draft picks don't hang around as long as those taken in later rounds. Wasn't Finley one of very few that stayed all four years being a first round draft pick? Of course there are examples to the contrary, but the odds are more likely that they don't stick around as long, and I like anything that improves those odds. Of course I would like anything that would improve our odds of winning a National Championship, and if Miller and Grimaldi can find a way to help us get over the hump in that regard, I won't mind them leaving early if they have added to the Fighting Sioux legacy.

• Upvote 1

That's really an awfully nice write up on an incoming frosh from whom very little is expected.

I'm looking forward to seeing him develop in the green and white.

You could fill a book with North Dakota hockey players who came in with "exceptional" work ethic and left as great hockey players. I might start with Phil Sykes and Doug Smail from my days, and continuing on last years team with players like Frattin and Gregoire.

2011 NHL Draft Prospect: Rocco Grimaldi

Final Analysis

I've told this story a few times before, but this will most likely be my most read post about Rocco Grimaldi so I'll share it again. The first time I saw Rocco Grimaldi play was with the Little Caesar's Midget Minor team. I had heard good things about him, but assumed that moving up to the more physical U16 level, he'd start to fade. He was by far the best player on the ice. The following summer I got the chance to watch him skate at the national Select 15 Festival, and assumed that going up against the best talent in the nation, he wouldn't be as dominate. Again, he was the best player on the ice. In his first game with the US NTDP U17 team, I was sure that a player of his size wouldn't be able to keep up with the older, more physically mature junior hockey players. Again, he was the best player on the ice. By that point, I decided that I was done leaving the rink feeling stupid and vowed never to doubt his abilities to make it at the next level of play just because of his size. He's truly an exceptional athlete with amazing physical abilities.

If it were up to me, I'd have no problem taking Grimaldi with a top ten pick in this year's draft. NHL teams are likely to be a little more conservative about using such a high pick on a player that is going to be deemed risky because of his size. Most likely, Grimaldi will go in the mid-to-late first round, possibly even dropping into the second round, though he could be a huge steal in the draft.

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere.

"Among the interviews, North Dakota recruit JT Miller reportedly told teams he was open to signing with the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL if the team that selected him wanted him to."

Hope he gets drafted by a team that likes the NCAA route.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2011/6/5/2208552/linkorama

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere.

"Among the interviews, North Dakota recruit JT Miller reportedly told teams he was open to signing with the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL if the team that selected him wanted him to."

Hope he gets drafted by a team that likes the NCAA route.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/2011/6/5/2208552/linkorama

I'd read somewhere that JT Miller was committed to UND for 1 year and then he'd reevaluate.

This kid could be another Adam Pineault.

I hope not but if I were Hakstol, I'd have a contingency lined up just in case.

UND lately has become a program that holds on to the "star" players for a year longer than many anticipate.

It seems when players arrive here that they dig the atmosphere, town, and program enough that it makes them want to stick around even if they could potentially make the jump to pro hockey. I wouldn't be surprised if Miller and Grimaldi are both here for two or three years depending on where they get drafted...my guess would be Miller for two and Grimaldi for three.

Hakstol has done a fantastic job at recruiting since arriving at UND, and he seems to also be able to recruit those players that are willing to commit to the program for longer than expected.

Now he just needs to bring home the big trophy and we'll be good to go. :)

UND lately has become a program that holds on to the "star" players for a year longer than many anticipate.

It seems when players arrive here that they dig the atmosphere, town, and program enough that it makes them want to stick around even if they could potentially make the jump to pro hockey. I wouldn't be surprised if Miller and Grimaldi are both here for two or three years depending on where they get drafted...my guess would be Miller for two and Grimaldi for three.

Hakstol has done a fantastic job at recruiting since arriving at UND, and he seems to also be able to recruit those players that are willing to commit to the program for longer than expected.

Now he just needs to bring home the big trophy and we'll be good to go. :)

FIRE HAK!!!! HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO WIN THE BIG ONE!!!! BRING BACK GINO!!!!!! :angry::lol:

Agreed with Hakstol bringing in great recruits in recent years. I think the thing that I've been most impressed with is the toughness of the guys that Hak has brought in. Guys like McWilliam, Blood, Lamoureax, Frattin, Malone.

if that is the case I don't want him no matter how "good" he might be.

Basically, that is the same as any other player. Every player would reevaluate, especially if they had a great year. Jonathan Toews evaluated after his first year, would you not want him to have come here?

Basically, that is the same as any other player. Every player would reevaluate, especially if they had a great year. Jonathan Toews evaluated after his first year, would you not want him to have come here?

this kid is no toews. he is a middle to late first rounder at best. plus there are too many reports of him saying he might go the junior route. if those are all true and he is saying those things he has no true commitment to come here, if he did he would just come out and say I am commtted to going to the university of north dakota and leave it at that.

this kid is no toews. he is a middle to late first rounder at best. plus there are too many reports of him saying he might go the junior route. if those are all true and he is saying those things he has no true commitment to come here, if he did he would just come out and say I am commtted to going to the university of north dakota and leave it at that.

Middle to late 1st rounder is not too shabby. Parise was No. 19, and I would take him even if only for a year or two.

I am no supporter of one and done's in any sport whether it be hockey, basketball or whatever. it is not good for the sport and if this kid has any aspirations of only being here one year than I say let him go now.

I am no supporter of one and done's in any sport whether it be hockey, basketball or whatever. it is not good for the sport and if this kid has any aspirations of only being here one year than I say let him go now.

It's tough to argue that and if true we are perhaps better off without him. I tend to think once here he will have a different perspective.

So if Toews would have only stayed a year, would you consider that a fail? Just having that name tied to the University of North Dakota is a help for future recruiting. The more 1st round picks that can develop and go on to the next level, only helps getting guys in the future. Sure, you have to supplement those players with guys who are going to stick around, but I'm sure the coaches are well aware of that and take that into consideration. Remember, Brad Malone was rumored to be considering leaving after one year here, as well as Drew Stafford, but they stuck around. Brad Malone is now a walking advertisement for the University of North Dakota. I am confident that the coaches and just the atmosphere surrounding this program can grow on players, so no matter what is being said now, doesn't mean that is going to be the way it turns out. Miller might not turn out to be a true part of the Fighting Sioux family, then again he might. I like the way he plays, and to be frank, the Sioux need all the talent they can this year to offset all the losses.

Thinking about the last ten or so years of UND hockey at the Ralph......(at least what I remember).....Can anybody remember a big name recruit that has come in to UND, had a ton of success, and left right away? I'm talking was a top two line player, and left after one season? Landon Wilson was before the new Ralph.....Of course Eddie was too.....Anybody got names of guys that skipped out after a year that left us wishing they had stuck around? I mean Parise was two years, Toews was two, Bochenski was three, Greene was three, Murray was two.

One year guys from the new Ralph that left after a year listed below here.....at least that I can think of? The only one that was kind of a big name coming in was Fournier. But he just never really matured into the type of playmaker they wanted him to be.

~Hunter Bishop

~Chris Fournier

~Nate Ziegelmann

Here's a draft profile of JT Miller on the Hockey Writers website.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-ones-jt-miller-2011-draft-prospect-profile-the-american-project-pick/

Miller should be turn into a good American power forward in the likes of a Brandon Dubinsky. He is a project pick however, and may take the full four years at college to fully develop his game.

Maybe just wishful thinking ;)

• 2 weeks later...