SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Paul Kelly (College Hockey Inc) had a radio interview with a radio station in Toronto, I believe, about this situation, and he said he would be SHOCKED if Schmaltz breaks his commitment. I guess he knows the Schmaltz family really well. He also said anyone who says North Dakota doesn't produce NHL talent is full of crap. (paraphrasing). He spouted off all the statistics that Hajdu did on twitter before the radio guy cut him off.

Yes, Paul, the Windsor Spitfires are full of crap.

Draft tracker: 5 questions with Jordan Schmaltz, Sioux City Musketeers

"I just always wanted to be a college player," says Schmaltz, who has three goals and six points in Sioux City's first seven games this fall. "My dad, he went to North Dakota and I have two uncles [Marc and Monte Schmaltz] who played football there. It's kind of been my dream to always go there. They have a great strength coach who's going to help me get a lot stronger and going to school is going to help me a lot. My mom is from there, too, so I have a lot of family up there.

From Chris Peters: Windsor traded for the rights to Pat Seiloff - D- U18 who is committed to Miami.

My read on that is that the Schmaltz's told Windsor where to stick it, so they needed to find a new target for next year. Hopefully Miami can hold on to him.

Pretty big trade in the USHL today, Jordan Schmaltz traded to Green Bay for multiple players. Green Bay is on the of the better teams in the USHL so look for Schmaltz to continue to have a big year offensively. Also of note, I am not sure if this was planned before the trade but Nick Schmaltz will join the Gamblers as well, not sure when he will start with them.

Quote from Slightly Chilled Blog, "Nick Schmaltz, when he makes his debut, will also become the youn

gest player in the USHL this season an title previously held by Force forward Blake Clarke, who was also named to represent Team USA at the Youth Olympic Games."

Quote from Slightly Chilled Blog, "Nick Schmaltz, when he makes his debut, will also become the youn

gest player in the USHL this season an title previously held by Force forward Blake Clarke, who was also named to represent Team USA at the Youth Olympic Games."

This article says Nick could play up to 10 games this year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2011-11-07/rink-report-11-7-jordan-schmaltz/51115680/1

• 2 weeks later...

Recruit? Well, kinda, sorta, ...

Clarke Saunders took it pretty hard when he found out that Alabama-Huntsville was ending its men’s hockey program. ...

But the Brockville, Ont., product has found a silver lining: He will now play for one of college hockey’s powerhouse programs next season.

Saunders will transfer to UND next fall, where he will be eligible immediately as a junior. He will provide UND with an experienced goaltender with size — he’s 6-foot-3, 190 pounds.

Although his Chargers haven’t had a lot of success — they are 1-15-1 — Saunders has managed to post strong numbers in net. He has a .918 save percentage and a 3.32 goals-against average. He stopped 44 of 45 shots on Friday night in leading Huntsville to an upset win over Nebraska-Omaha.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/223086/group/UND%20sports/