SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

We are now going to have three-four goaltenders next season.

Unless Dell goes pro.

This is a good decision regardless. It brings in a goalie with NCAA experience in case we lose both Eidsness to graduation and Dell to the pros.

Gothberg will be here for the long haul, but this gives him a chance to acclimate at his own pace.

Although if Dell stays, it will leave us with four goalies.

I wonder what the scholarship situation will be with the transfer goalie. Dell will be a scholarship goalie for sure, and maybe Saunders and Gothberg will split a scholarship the first year or something. If Dell is here next year neither will be seeing the ice much, but the year after those two should both see significant playing time.

I wonder what the scholarship situation will be with the transfer goalie. Dell will be a scholarship goalie for sure, and maybe Saunders and Gothberg will split a scholarship the first year or something. If Dell is here next year neither will be seeing the ice much, but the year after those two should both see significant playing time.

I am not sure if you were aware, so I thought I'd just mention that very few of our players receive 100 % full scholarships. A lot of them are probably around 90% to spread the money around. So I don't think both Saunders and Gothberg will each have a 50/50 scholarship. They'll distribute scholarship money as equitably as they can.

Tate will not be on the roster next year, unless Dell were to leave.

Sounds like UAH hockey might have been given a last minute reprieve.

Members of The University of Alabama in Huntsville administration met this evening with hockey supporters, following discussions with Chancellor Malcolm Portera, and came to a consensus to work closely together to pursue institutional and community support to continue UAH hockey at the Division I level.

Several scenarios were discussed to ensure recurring support is in place, and the two groups will continue to meet in the coming days to finalize a workable plan.

This makes things interesting for Clarke Saunders. Will he stay at UAH or will he join the Sioux?

This makes things interesting for Clarke Saunders. Will he stay at UAH or will he join the Sioux?

Pretty sure he'd most certainly stay at UAH if the program lives to play another season. If he transfers with the UAH program still intact he'd not only lose a year but also a year of eligibility. The only reason he's pondering the transfer is because there is no transfer penalty if you are transferring from a program that is ending.

Don't quote me on that though. xD

Call me cynical, but I don't believe the Alabama legislature will save UAH hockey, not while their beloved Tide is second to anyone in football (See: Les Miles' LSU Purple Kitties). UAH and UAB will always be poor step-children to Tuscaloosa.

I expect to see Saunders here next year, along with Dell and Gothberg. (Maris is listed a junior, and he is eligibility-wise, but I believe he attended UND for a year before joining the hockey team and is probably on pace to graduate.)

And yes, Saunders would be immediately eligibile after a transfer from a folding program. If he were to transfer otherwise he'd have to sit out a year and his five-year eligibility clock would run during the year. (You have five calendar years to complete four years of athletic competition.)

Saunders affirms commitment to UND

Even if Alabama-Huntsville is able to revive its program and put a team on the ice next season, goalie Clarke Saunders will transfer to UND and be eligible to play immediately.

Saunders said his visit to UND was ā€œamazing.ā€

ā€œFacilities are out of this world, coaches were great, the trip went really well,ā€ Saunders said.

Saunders will be a junior for UND next season.

Hockey Prospect Profiles Jordan Schmaltz

The slick-skating Schmaltz has been a ballyhooed prospect for some time - he first made a non-binding commitment to the University of Wisconsin when he was just 14-years-old. But his plans changed when coach Mark Osiecki moved to Ohio State.

Schmaltz is set on honoring his new commitment to the University of North Dakota, which has produced NHL stars Zach Parise and Jonathan Toews in recent years, despite being at the center of a tug-of-war between the Canadian junior leagues and collegiate hockey.

In October the Windsor Spitfires went public with their recruitment of the heralded prospect. Schmaltz can't help being in high demand, but all he's worried about is fulfilling a life-long dream of attending college and following his family's legacy.

ā€œI've always wanted to go to college,ā€ he says. ā€œMy Dad went to North Dakota, my two uncles, they all played football there. They're actually all from there too. I think it's a no-brainer to go to North Dakota. I still want to go the college route and I think ultimately it will make me the best player I can be.ā€

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing. My guess is that the team has set something up for him to allow him to keep himself in the best shape possible.

That or there is like 20 outdoor rinks in Grand Forks....he can skate wherever he wants.

I am surprised that UND hasn't picked up a dept forward two for the second half.

Agreed. Last year=depth up the wazoo, and they still brought in Dickin at the midway point....This year's depth=down the wazoo and we haven't heard of any possible moves to be made.

St. Cloud brought in Joe Rehkamp for the second half. It is kind of a two-edged sword though. If you bring in a guy he is not going to be an impact player, and you are probably giving up a partial scholarship for another walk-on type player. I really appreciate what some of the walk-on's have done for us this year, but we really need to add some skill players to make up for the excess of grinders we have right now. Best scenario, is to get a skilled grinder like we had in J.T. Miller and next year we'll hopefully have in Stephane Matteau. I'm hoping that a few of the walk-ons we have playing this year are sitting next year, because it means we have upgraded the skill, or if they can make a huge step in that department, that's o.k. too. Does DiPuma have an offensive upside, or is he another grinder type if he comes in next year?