SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Stephane Pattyn? Anyone have any info besides what's stated in the article?

this article?

audio on his commitment below mention

You can add Stephane Pattyn's name to that list. The gritty centre from Ste. Anne, Manitoba has committed to the University of North Dakota, starting with next season.

added Stephane Pattyn to the list

Pattyn is a 5'11 183lb Forward who played for Portage of the MJHL

Pattyn Hockeydb profile

Forward

Born Jan 27 1991 -- Ste. Anne, MAN

Height 5.11 -- Weight 183 -- Shoots L

listed at 6 feet on his team page

COMMITED RECRUITS

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11'

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11'

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11'

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 12'

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11'

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11'

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - 11'

JACK ROWE - F - Team Illinois MIDGET - 12' / 13'

MILES KNOULES - F - USNDPT 17 - 12' / 13'

JORDAN SCHMALTZ - D - Sioux City - USHL - 12'

JT MILLER - F - USNDPT 18 - 11'

STEPHAN MATTEAU - F - USNDPT 17 - 12'

CHARLIE PELNIK - D - Carolina Junior Hurricanes AAA - 13'

ANDREW PANZARELLA - D - Waterloo Blackhawks - USHL - 11'

DAN SENKBEIL - D - Alaska Avalanche - NAHL - 11'

MICHAEL DI PUMA - F - Wenatchee (Wash.) Wild - MJHL - 11'

STEPHANE PATTYN - F - Portage Terriers - MJHL - 11'

added Stephane Pattyn to the list, make that 3 NAHL guys in a row to fill out 11/12 roster if im not mistaken

Pattyn is a 5'11 183lb Forward who played for Portage of the NAHL

Pattyn Hockeydb profile

Forward

Born Jan 27 1991 -- Ste. Anne, MAN

Height 5.11 -- Weight 183 -- Shoots L

COMMITED RECRUITS

NICK MATTSON - D - Indiana - USHL - 11'

MICHAEL PARKS - F - Cedar Rapids - USHL - 11'

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11'

ZANE GOTHBERG - G - Fargo Force - USHL - 12'

COLTEN ST. CLAIR - F - Fargo Force - USHL - 11'

MARK MACMILLIN - F - Penticton Vees - BCHL - 11'

ROCCO GRIMALDI - F - US U18 NTDP - 11'

JACK ROWE - F - Team Illinois MIDGET - 12' / 13'

MILES KNOULES - F - USNDPT 17 - 12' / 13'

JORDAN SCHMALTZ - D - Sioux City - USHL - 12'

JT MILLER - F - USNDPT 18 - 11'

STEPHAN MATTEAU - F - USNDPT 17 - 12'

CHARLIE PELNIK - D - Carolina Junior Hurricanes AAA - 13'

ANDREW PANZARELLA - D - Waterloo Blackhawks - USHL - 11'

DAN SENKBEIL - D - Alaska Avalanche - NAHL - 11'

MICHAEL DI PUMA - F - Wenatchee (Wash.) Wild - NAHL - 11'

STEPHANE PATTYN - F - Portage Terriers - NAHL - 11'

Aren't they in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League (MJHL)?

this kid is no toews. he is a middle to late first rounder at best. plus there are too many reports of him saying he might go the junior route. if those are all true and he is saying those things he has no true commitment to come here, if he did he would just come out and say I am commtted to going to the university of north dakota and leave it at that.

I have never once seen a report of him saying he's going anywhere but UND. If you have, please post them because I would like to see it. All I have seen are reports that a commentator said that so and so said that blah blah blah might go to play juniors. It's all speculation. Brad got a quote from him at the draft saying that he is playing next year at UND. After that, just like any other first round draft pick that has a good season (hopefully he does), he'll have the opportunity to go play professionally either at the A or the NHL. Just give the kid a break.

Seems there was more than one Pattyn on this year's Portage Terriers. There was Stephane, and a Yvan Pattyn.

Given that Yvan is 26 months younger than Stephane and they share the same town of birth (Saint Anne, MB), one could speculate that Yvan is a brother.

Yvan is a 6'1" 196 pound, right-shooting defenceman (<-- Canadian spelling for the critics out there).

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid%5B%5D=125249&pid%5B%5D=139762

USA Today's Kevin Allen is reporting that JT MIller has decided to play for Plymouth in the OHL this year.

Im a bit surprised by that as he was drafted by the Rangers who have some good college players like McDoonugh and Stepan. You would think they would be fine with him going the NCAA route. I wonder if they pushed him in the direction of the OHL or maybe he's just not a fan of school.

Im a bit surprised by that as he was drafted by the Rangers who have some good college players like McDoonugh and Stepan. You would think they would be fine with him going the NCAA route. I wonder if they pushed him in the direction of the OHL or maybe he's just not a fan of school.

He had quotes before being drafted about deciding about where he'd play in 2011 after the Draft, so it seems like he was a little up in the air prior to being drafted. I'm guessing he's not a school guy, like you said.

and another thing that bugs me about this... garth snow on the island, with a perpensity of sniping ncaa players was a college hockey player... torts (coach) and gordie clark (director of player personnel) of the rangers both are college hockey guys... what is their issue with ncaa hockey? is the number of games played an issue? i would think it is just as important for young players to spend some time off ice putting on muscle and preparing their bodies for the nhl grind, which is alot tougher to do during a 70-80 game season. on top of that, und has a VERY solid track record of preparing players for the next level...

i wish no ill will on the kid, but im pretty sure he just lost tens of thousands of supporters... this kind of stuff stinks when it happens to anyone, even worse when its your own team. i said it back during the okposo ordeal, just bad for college hockey in general.

"Bad for college hockey"...I've heard that phrase at least 100x this week ;)

"Bad for college hockey"...I've heard that phrase at least 100x this week ;)

two entirely different situations, but yes, i'm sure that's a conservative estimate... losing top recruits to the candian junior leagues is defiantely bad for college hockey (especially ones who have already committed to a school)... the conference shakeup, possibly bad for college hockey, but it will be a few years before we know the fallout for sure. time will tell.

• Upvote 1

Losing Miller sucks, I wish him luck but i wish the NY Rangers would reconsider. UND has developed some of the best players in the NHL, I'm not sure why they would think he would be better in a Canadian league as opposed to here.

Hard to wish the kid luck when he decides to bail pretty much at the 11th hour. While he was most likely pressured by the New York Rangers into going the OHL route, he still had a choice.

It's very easy to believe that the Rangers played a huge part in getting Miller to go to the OHL route rather than the NCAA since they had tried the same thing with Kreider but failed there. Kreider will be going back to BC for his Junior season, hoping to graduate Spring 2012 and turn pro for the 2012-2013 season.

http://www.nyrblueshirts.com/?p=1058

I'm not going to wish ill will on the kid but I can say I won't be cheering for him either.

• Upvote 2

JT Miller is scheduled to be a guest on Edmonton's Pipeline Show on Saturday.

JT Miller confirms to TPS his choice to go with Plymouth over UND and that he will be a guest on our show this Saturday. Noon-2 est.

Hopefully we will get some answers as to what changed over the last 2-3 weeks. At the NHL Draft he reiterated his commitment to UND and stated that he was going to play hard "just like the Sioux do."

two entirely different situations, but yes, i'm sure that's a conservative estimate... losing top recruits to the candian junior leagues is defiantely bad for college hockey (especially ones who have already committed to a school)... the conference shakeup, possibly bad for college hockey, but it will be a few years before we know the fallout for sure. time will tell.

I know...my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek.

Andrew MacWilliam held back on pummeling the kid last year when they played the under 18 team, but I would bet that MacWilliam will give him a Sioux welcome if they meet up at the next level. That said, the kid probably is doing what he thinks is best for his career, it's just that the timing isn't very good for UND. Better to lose someone who isn't committed to being a Sioux now than to have someone who is not 100 percent sure they made the right decision. I hope he doesn't develop very fast for the only reason that the more players that don't develop the way they expect in the OHL, the more likely some future 1st or 2nd rounders will be to give the NCAA route a try.

Can't blame the kid. Gets drafted higher than expected, is on cloud 9, why go to school when you can get that big signing bonus with the Rangers right away and not worry about getting up for classes and just basically play hockey.

I would give the old, "got to have the education in case hockey doesn't work out", but there is insurance that will take care of any injuries he has. And he is a good enough player that he will make the NHL if he stays healthy enough too.

I wonder if the Sioux plan on bringing in another player, or if they'll roll with what they've got.

Wow, big blow to UND. I would like to hear the story behind this. I had a bad feeling about Miller when I watched him play against UND last season. I wish MacWilliam would have taught him a lesson now like he should have. Oh well, maybe it was a Dylen Olson situation where he would have left school midway anyway due to academics and the promise of a huge signing bonus.

Can't blame the kid. Gets drafted higher than expected, is on cloud 9, why go to school when you can get that big signing bonus with the Rangers right away and not worry about getting up for classes and just basically play hockey.

I would give the old, "got to have the education in case hockey doesn't work out", but there is insurance that will take care of any injuries he has. And he is a good enough player that he will make the NHL if he stays healthy enough too.

I wonder if the Sioux plan on bringing in another player, or if they'll roll with what they've got.

I think we have to bring in another player, I just don't think there's much options this late in the game. All of our forward recruits aren't out of high school yet, and there's probably not too many caliber kids out there. I say try to nab a few walk ons to get some depth and just go with it. The freshman class as a whole has talent, so we'll probably be okay as long as the upperclassmen can step up and fill some big shoes.

I think we have to bring in another player, I just don't think there's much options this late in the game. All of our forward recruits aren't out of high school yet, and there's probably not too many caliber kids out there. I say try to nab a few walk ons to get some depth and just go with it. The freshman class as a whole has talent, so we'll probably be okay as long as the upperclassmen can step up and fill some big shoes.

Wasn't there a player that wanted to step into the program he was recruited by last season only to be told to wait a year that recently made a comment regarding his game being suited to the style played by UND??wow.gif