SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

Nice to see that Sioux fans aren't crowing about this on USCHO or GPL, though.  It's good to be jacked about this, but it's good to show a little class too.  

Well. It seems a few are trolling Hammy(according to him) on Twitter, but trolling the troll is alright with me.

A finisher--something the Sioux need.  Does getting Boeser jack up our chances of getting any other top recruits?

btw:  the stereotype really is true.   From gpl:

As for boeser being a big loss- UND fans will probably take this as sour grapes but I've thought since I heard the gophers were recruiting boeser that, although he is a great player, recruiting another top 6 forward isn't what this team needs. Then again, it's what the gopher coaching staff always seems to think is the solution

meh, we didn't really want him.   :)

They are the NDSU of college hockey recruiting, got it.

Is mismash a potential? Ha just getting greedy now. Many mn hs kids in haks pipeline now. Top end at that

I think so I have seen some say he is another kid who might be deciding between Minnesota and UND. He does follow both the Minnesota and UND hockey accounts on Twitter and those look to be the only two teams he follows.

I think so I have seen some say he is another kid who might be deciding between Minnesota and UND. He does follow both the Minnesota and UND hockey accounts on Twitter and those look to be the only two teams he follows.

Austin Pratt is another one to keep an eye on. He is a SSM 1999 that was rumored when he visited before Christmas to possibly be re-opening the door back to SSM.

Austin Pratt is another one to keep an eye on. He is a SSM 1999 that was rumored when he visited before Christmas to possibly be re-opening the door back to SSM.

Yep he is another Shattuck target but he could also end up in the WHL he even has prospect of the Red Deer Rebels on his Twitter profile. It would be nice to land a couple Shattuck kids again as Minnesota seems to have that pipeline going right now. 

I don't think Boeser is a recruit we have to worry about losing to the WHL. 

Why go through all this of committing to UW, reopening his recruitment, and then visiting UMN, UW, and UND before committing again...only to go north?

Did he ever make that visit to UMD?

The guys must have been tough on Hammy.  I see he's locked it down.

Maybe if he wasn't so cocky about his belief that Boeser would choose Minnesota, people wouldn't take such glee in him being wrong.  That said, we have lost many high end guys to Minnesota, and we seem to always do well.  Perhaps Minnesota could use a few more guys that have to work hard in order to crack the lineup.  Sometimes when you think you can rely on talent alone, you think things are going to be handed to you.  Hakstol said that when the guys came to the realization that is how they had to play night in and night out to win, that is when they started having success.  Sometimes it takes a while to learn that lesson, like our Senior class this year did a while ago.  Hopefully the guys that remain can impart that to the rookies next year, because if you have a bad start to a season, the catching up can really wear on you. 

That must be why there are 16 Gophers in the NHL this year while there are 14 UND players.  It must also be why 5 Gophers led their NHL teams in scoring last season while zero UND players did the same.  

I think he was referring to while they are at school.

Both schools have a great pool of talented players in the NHL, that's no surprise.

But look at a guy like Rau.  He was a very, very good freshman and sophomore.  By now he should be a Hobey candidate type of player.  What happened to him along the way?

That said, we have lost many high end guys to Minnesota, and we seem to always do well. Perhaps Minnesota could use a few more guys that have to work hard in order to crack the lineup. Sometimes when you think you can rely on talent alone, you think things are going to be handed to you.

exactly. The quote earlier off the gopher site about them needing more than just talent was actually right on

That must be why there are 16 Gophers in the NHL this year while there are 14 UND players.  It must also be why 5 Gophers led their NHL teams in scoring last season while zero UND players did the same.  

Makes total sense, Mariucci.  The Islanders, for example, were very enthusiastic about Kyle Okposo's development while at the University of Minnesota.  Oh, wait...

I think he was referring to while they are at school.

Both schools have a great pool of talented players in the NHL, that's no surprise.

But look at a guy like Rau.  He was a very, very good freshman and sophomore.  By now he should be a Hobey candidate type of player.  What happened to him along the way?

Rau very well may reach the 40 point mark for the 4th consecutive year which nowadays doesn't happen.  He's absolutely a better player now than he was as a freshman even though the points may not show it.  He's stronger on the puck, better defensively, a better leader.  Nothing happened to Rau "along the way." 

Makes total sense, Mariucci.  The Islanders, for example, were very enthusiastic about Kyle Okposo's development while at the University of Minnesota.  Oh, wait...

Haha you find one example of a quote from a joke of a GM who's reputation sucks? 

Look, the UND poster said the Gophers can't compete with UND in regards to developing players.  I simply pointed out just how dead wrong that is.

Not trying to argue here...more curious.  I have Kessel....then who?  You are referring to total points, correct?

• Upvote 1

Just like a Gopher to go after individual stats...that, my friend, says it all...I prefer to ask:

How many UND players wore a letter for their team in the last five years for what they bring to the team...

and how many have won the stanley cup over that time period...again, for their team?

• Upvote 2

Haha you find one example of a quote from a joke of a GM who's reputation sucks? 

Look, the UND poster said the Gophers can't compete with UND in regards to developing players.  I simply pointed out just how dead wrong that is.

Other than Phil Kessel... and even then, go ahead... I'd like to know why I am dead wrong? I'll take Toews, Oshie, Parise, Zajac over Kessel, Johnson, Vanek, Okposo anyday and twice on Sunday. I believe NHL agrees.

Also, 14? Isn't UND at 17 this season? Even if I'm mistaken, my point still stands. I'll take UND's NHLers over Minny's all day.

Would Chris VandeVelde, Chris Porter, and Brad Malone be in the show today if they'd have played for Lucia.

would Nate Schmidt if he hadn't? Or Erik haula? It's really a dumb argument. You can find success stories and failures at nearly every program in college hockey. As for rau- he quit playing next to bjugstad and started playing next to whoever he has been playing with the last two years. That's probably your difference

That being said, lucia doesn't seem to be a great head coach. Maybe the worst of the five MN d1 schools