SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

I agree, but it's also important to realize some guys are being brought in to fill specific roles, not necessarily to score.  Pattyn and Gaarder will be terribly missed next year, and I hope some of the new guys bring some heart and soul with them, even if they don't score a ton.  In addition, while I don't want to go back to the bruiser days, a little beef doesn't seem like a terrible idea after watching WMU push the Sioux around a bit this weekend.

I agree, but it's also important to realize some guys are being brought in to fill specific roles, not necessarily to score. Pattyn and Gaarder will be terribly missed next year, and I hope some of the new guys bring some heart and soul with them, even if they don't score a ton. In addition, while I don't want to go back to the bruiser days, a little beef doesn't seem like a terrible idea after watching WMU push the Sioux around a bit this weekend.

We got Pogo, Olson and Poolman this year. I think we'll be okay on some guys that can score, play gritty and stir it up.

I agree, but it's also important to realize some guys are being brought in to fill specific roles, not necessarily to score.  Pattyn and Gaarder will be terribly missed next year, and I hope some of the new guys bring some heart and soul with them, even if they don't score a ton.  In addition, while I don't want to go back to the bruiser days, a little beef doesn't seem like a terrible idea after watching WMU push the Sioux around a bit this weekend.

I completely agree on the beef part.   Get some more size and strength, but keep speed and skill as our identity.  I like this current D corps better than any we've had in a while, and they make their mark with skill, speed, and positioning.  Not that a Matt Jones type of pure defenseman wouldn't be welcome.  :) 

So bowen(EGF) and kierstad (elk river) left for commited mn st tourney

Where do those two above along with MATTSON and senden play next season?

MATTSON has 1 assist in the lost as well

I believe Bowen was with the Fargo Force earlier in the year and will play there again after the high school season so that is where he most likely will play next season. The other 3 are only juniors this year so they will have some options.

I completely agree on the beef part.   Get some more size and strength, but keep speed and skill as our identity.  I like this current D corps better than any we've had in a while, and they make their mark with skill, speed, and positioning.  Not that a Matt Jones type of pure defenseman wouldn't be welcome.  :)

Just for thought, with the speed of today's game would Matt Jones have looked like Joe Finley out there?  I like big, tough, mean defensemen, but I like dinosaurs too.

Just for thought, with the speed of today's game would Matt Jones have looked like Joe Finley out there?  I like big, tough, mean defensemen, but I like dinosaurs too.

I don't know.   Others who saw him regularly might.  Matt always skated hard and seemed extremely consistent.   In the D zone.

I believe Bowen was with the Fargo Force earlier in the year and will play there again after the high school season so that is where he most likely will play next season. The other 3 are only juniors this year so they will have some options.

Mitchell Mattson is a first round pick, 9th overall, to Bloomington.

Matt Kiersted also a first round pick, 6th overall, to Chicago.

Mark Senden is a 6th round pick, 89th overall, to Des Moines.

Collin Adams is a 4th round pick, 49th overall, to Muskegon.

Max Gerlach was picked right before Adams at 48th overall to Fargo.

I would guess Mattson and Kiersted will start the year in the USHL and make a decision from there.  Adams played 3 games with Muskegon this year and could be there next year. I'm guessing Gerlach would also be a choice for Fargo if they can't figure out there scoring issues.

Having never seen him play, I'm wondering if we are all writing off Hayden Shaw as a possible impact player here.  This year (which is his senior year of high school) he has a stat line of 2-25-27 in 29 games played.

Just to put that in perspective, Paul LaDue won the USHL Defenseman of the Year with a stat line of 12-37-49 in 62 games, as a 20 year old.

Having never seen him play, I'm wondering if we are all writing off Hayden Shaw as a possible impact player here.  This year (which is his senior year of high school) he has a stat line of 2-25-27 in 29 games played.

Just to put that in perspective, Paul LaDue won the USHL Defenseman of the Year with a stat line of 12-37-49 in 62 games, as a 20 year old.

Who's writing him off?  The kid is really good.  One of the best puck distributors in the USHL (the best NA junior A league).  He should make an impact.

Regarding Ladue, i also believe he was like +40 that year.  Played in all positions.  Not sure if shaw is as defensive as Ladue was.  But to your point, Shaw is doing this at a younger age.

Who's writing him off?  The kid is really good.  One of the best puck distributors in the USHL (the best NA junior A league).  He should make an impact.

It just seems like he is somewhat "forgotten" when it comes to some of our recruits, even though his stats seem to suggest he should be a pretty high caliber guy.

It just seems like he is somewhat "forgotten" when it comes to some of our recruits, even though his stats seem to suggest he should be a pretty high caliber guy.

Not sure why, I follow him pretty closely.  But you're right, he doesn't get too much discussion on this forum. 

I'm not writing him off at all I really like him as a nice puck moving defenseman with good offensive skill. I know he has battled some injuries this year as well.

Not sure why, I follow him pretty closely.  But you're right, he doesn't get too much discussion on this forum. 

I don't think it's just here he gets overlooked. He's overlooked on his own team. 

In general, I'd say we have a lot of recruits that don't get a lot of discussion on this forum. But I always figured that has to do with everyone's familiarity with certain players over others. 

I don't think it's just here he gets overlooked. He's overlooked on his own team. 

In general, I'd say we have a lot of recruits that don't get a lot of discussion on this forum. But I always figured that has to do with everyone's familiarity with certain players over others. 

Potentially.....but that Chartrand kid gets more discussion on this forum than Shaw and I find that somewhat odd.  However, in all honesty I don't follow the league that he plays in all that much.

I in no way meant my comment as a slight on Matt, I never saw him play as l lived in the hockey wilderness at the time. 

Matt Jones could definitely keep up.  He is one of the best dmen we've had in GF in the last 20 years- he and Greene were almost impossible to play against for opposing forwards...they were good players, strong, and just a little bit mean : )

I suspect he comes in like an Olson or Simonson.

Probably, although I think he'll be a regular.  Olson and Simo came in a tough situation as we have more seniors than we typically have.  I honestly pinned Olson as a regular; still shocked he's not back in the lineup.  Both those guys see plenty of playing time at most other schools.  

Probably, although I think he'll be a regular.  Olson and Simo came in a tough situation as we have more seniors than we typically have.  I honestly pinned Olson as a regular; still shocked he's not back in the lineup.  Both those guys see plenty of playing time at most other schools.

... and if we weren't on such a run, you probably see them in the lineup here and there, but I don't think they want to mess with success right now.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits