SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

would Nate Schmidt if he hadn't? Or Erik haula? It's really a dumb argument. You can find success stories and failures at nearly every program in college hockey. As for rau- he quit playing next to bjugstad and started playing next to whoever he has been playing with the last two years. That's probably your difference

That being said, lucia doesn't seem to be a great head coach. Maybe the worst of the five MN d1 schools

One of the most preposterous statements in history of message boards.  If Lucia isn't a very good coach with 2 NCAA titles then what is Hakstool?  By your logic, he's a terrible coach. 

• Upvote 1

would Nate Schmidt if he hadn't? Or Erik haula? It's really a dumb argument. You can find success stories and failures at nearly every program in college hockey. As for rau- he quit playing next to bjugstad and started playing next to whoever he has been playing with the last two years. That's probably your difference

That being said, lucia doesn't seem to be a great head coach. Maybe the worst of the five MN d1 schools

So don't you think he may develop his players a little less than a better coach? I'm missing something...

Rau very well may reach the 40 point mark for the 4th consecutive year which nowadays doesn't happen. He's absolutely a better player now than he was as a freshman even though the points may not show it. He's stronger on the puck, better defensively, a better leader. Nothing happened to Rau "along the way."

Better defensively and a better leader? The way he leads his team and the way the gophs play d it looks to me like he is moving in the wrong direction. Points he is putting up this year don't mean a thing. Hockey is a team sport and haven't there been rumblings that he has been an issue?

• Upvote 1

So don't you think he may develop his players a little less than a better coach? I'm missing something...

There is more to coaching than development. I don't know how is he at developing kids. I see in the last couple years they had an undrafted kid in Nate Schmidt become a full time NHLer and a seventh rounder in haula become a very good NHLer. Then they had a second rounder in budish wind up in the echl. When I called him a bad coach- I was referring to the fact that all of his teams appear to play uninspired whereas with motsko, Hastings etc I don't see that

Okposo, Vanek, Kessel, Wheeler, and Bjugstad.  

< Toews, Parise, Oshie, Zajac

Look at the TEAMS of those players. Congrats on having the best player on god awful teams... Crappy Isles; Crappy Isles, Sabres' (good Isles now led by Tavares), Crappy Maple Leafs, Crappy Jets and Crappy Panthers...

By the way, I am not trying to pick any fights...both elite programs with great success stories at the next level...It feels good to get a blue chipper that MInny is hot after...last one like that did okay for us (ZPar)

I wasn't trying to hijack the thread either but that post was just blatantly biased and factually incorrect.  Obviously both programs are elite when it comes to sending players to the NHL.  

One thing that is interesting about this is that there are 9 Gopher D-men in the NHL while there are only 2 from UND.  I know the Gophers offensive style of D-men are more suitable for the NHL now but still I'm shocked that UND hasn't produced many blue liners.  Probably just a fluke but weird.  

I wasn't trying to hijack the thread either but that post was just blatantly biased and factually incorrect.  Obviously both programs are elite when it comes to sending players to the NHL.  

One thing that is interesting about this is that there are 9 Gopher D-men in the NHL while there are only 2 from UND.  I know the Gophers offensive style of D-men are more suitable for the NHL now but still I'm shocked that UND hasn't produced many blue liners.  Probably just a fluke but weird.  

Especially considering the draft status of some of those d-men...Lee and Finley were both #1s...Chorney was a high #2 and a captain of team USA at the WJC..Smaby was a #2...I have called that into question myself...

excellent two-way forwards...you bet...some forward grinders who develop over 4 years and make it...yup...d-men...well...Greene...

Especially odd given Hak and Berry are both dmen.

• Upvote 1

That must be why there are 16 Gophers in the NHL this year while there are 14 UND players.  It must also be why 5 Gophers led their NHL teams in scoring last season while zero UND players did the same.  

LOL, I was just thinking how Bjudstad seems to have developed nicely after he took off the brown and yellow?

Especially considering the draft status of some of those d-men...Lee and Finley were both #1s...Chorney was a high #2 and a captain of team USA at the WJC..Smaby was a #2...I have called that into question myself...

excellent two-way forwards...you bet...some forward grinders who develop over 4 years and make it...yup...d-men...well...Greene...

Especially odd given Hak and Berry are both dmen.

No doubt guys like Parise, Toews, and Oshie were and are better two way players than Vanek and Kessel.  Parise is still the hardest working forward I've ever seen play. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe if he wasn't so cocky about his belief that Boeser would choose Minnesota, people wouldn't take such glee in him being wrong.  That said, we have lost many high end guys to Minnesota, and we seem to always do well.  Perhaps Minnesota could use a few more guys that have to work hard in order to crack the lineup.  Sometimes when you think you can rely on talent alone, you think things are going to be handed to you.  Hakstol said that when the guys came to the realization that is how they had to play night in and night out to win, that is when they started having success.  Sometimes it takes a while to learn that lesson, like our Senior class this year did a while ago.  Hopefully the guys that remain can impart that to the rookies next year, because if you have a bad start to a season, the catching up can really wear on you. 

One thing that was funny.  I think when talk first started about Boeser walking away from Wisconsin, Hammy posted something about having to eat his words.  He apparently was pretty confident that wouldn't happen, and all of a sudden it appeared likely.

A couple of months later he is posting pretty confidently that MN has Boeser all but wrapped up.

Looks like he had to go back for seconds with respect to eating those words. :p

One thing that was funny.  I think when talk first started about Boeser walking away from Wisconsin, Hammy posted something about having to eat his words.  He apparently was pretty confident that wouldn't happen, and all of a sudden it appeared likely.

A couple of months later he is posting pretty confidently that MN has Boeser all but wrapped up.

Looks like he had to go back for seconds with respect to eating those words. :p

It's always great when he is wrong. His excuse is that the alleged turmoil within the Gopher hockey program is the factor as to why Boeser chose UND.  :silly: He's got two buddies still going there. I highly doubt it is as big of a factor as he'd like to make it be.

Even more, Hammy scoffed at Andy Johnson aka Chuck Schwartz since he had the audacity to say that the decision between Minnesota/UND was much closer than some thought. Also add in the fact that Andy mentioned that North Dakota fitted more into Boeser's style.

Looks like Andy was correct on both statements he made. Boeser chose North Dakota and Brock told NHL.com that "It was a combination of me feeling good with the coaches, the facilities, and their style of play," Boeser told NHL.com in an email. "I think it's the best fit for me and my development."

Link to NHL.com article on Boeser's committment: http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=37024

I'll give you serratore. It's absurd to say the other three are better coaches than lucia? Explain

How can you possibly argue that Hastings is a better college coach than Lucia?  Or Motzko or Sandelin?  Lucia has accomplished more than those 3 combined.  And before you make the point that it's much tougher to win at Mankato, UMD, and SCSU than the U just remember that it was Lucia who turned around one of the worst programs in just ONE season at CC taking them from worst to first and made them a national power.  He's already won big time at a struggling program and has won 2 NCAA titles with an elite one.  

Please give me your argument as to why Hastings, Motzko, and Sandelin are better coaches.  

• Upvote 1

It's always great when he is wrong. His excuse is that the alleged turmoil within the Gopher hockey program is the factor as to why Boeser chose UND. :silly: He's got two buddies still going there. I highly doubt it is as big of a factor as he'd like to make it be.

Even more, Hammy scoffed at Andy Johnson aka Chuck Schwartz since he had the audacity to say that the decision between Minnesota/UND was much closer than some thought. Also add in the fact that Andy mentioned that North Dakota fitted more into Boeser's style.

Looks like Andy was correct on both statements he made. Boeser chose North Dakota and Brock told NHL.com that "It was a combination of me feeling good with the coaches, the facilities, and their style of play," Boeser told NHL.com in an email. "I think it's the best fit for me and my development."

Link to NHL.com article on Boeser's committment: http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=37024

Kind of funny they compared his style of play to that of Kyle Okposo in light of our current conversation lol :D