SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

On 12/20/2016 at 11:28 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Just looking at prior year recruiting class OLs:

2013 - 5 recruits - Bell, Stockwell, Cox, Adams, Williams, Miller

2014 - 5 recruits - Francis, Stiner, Taylor, Aplin, Beck

2015 - 5 recruits - Grady, Rooney, Merz, Camy, Blair

2016 - 7 recruits - Mortel (RS), Helgren (RS), Hunt(RS), Tobin(RS), Nguon(RS), Russo(RS), Coe

2017 - 12 recruits so far - Kruse and now Prine

Lots of turnover.  Need to start hitting the mark more often here.

Unless the 2016 class is an anomaly, we can expect to lose around half of them in the next year or 2.

40 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I see a lot of folks disappointed that we have so few commitments from OLs.  I'm not sure they are as big of a priority as others do because of the numbers we already have in the program.

As it currently stands UND has the following players for next season:

Senior: Miller, Cox, Bell, Stockwell

Junior: Aplin, Stiner, Taylor

Sophomore: Rooney, Blair

Redshirt Freshmen: Tobin, Hunt, Nguon, Russo, Helgren, Mortel

Freshmen: Prine, Kruse

That's a total of 17 players.

I randomly looked at some other top FCS programs.  This is how many OLs they have on the roster:

YSU: 15

NDSU: 20

Eastern Washington: 14

SDSU: 15

James Madison: 17

We certainly don't want to turn down someone who Coach Knopf really wants, but as it stands we have healthy OL numbers compared to the other programs I looked at.

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Unless the 2016 class is an anomaly, we can expect to lose around half of them in the next year or 2.

Agreed, that's likely to be the case.  It's not now, though.  Because of limited scholarships you can't load up at one position because of what MIGHT happen. 

That said I hope UND gets the Rossmiller (sp) kid from Lakeville South.

3 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Besides Washington State offering, NDSU and UNI both came in with full rides in the past two weeks.  He turned them both down.  Gotta hold on for a couple more days.  

Not true we already have 2 good DE.  Have no scholarships for anymore.  But believe what you want.  He was at our camp in July, if we were going to offer it would have been then.

6 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Not true we already have 2 good DE.  Have no scholarships for anymore.  But believe what you want.  He was at our camp in July, if we were going to offer it would have been then.

Danny, it most likely happened - Ott is a very good player. Of course, you can believe the "alternative facts" if you'd like and continue to live in your own world like many NDSU fans. 

11 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

I'd go check with one of your main local recruiting guru's on b'ville.  Like a good agent, he has said this absolutely was true and Ott did not give NDSU consideration because of fact that UND was on him early and the relationship they have. 

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

Simple Dan!  You are clueless, my friend.  Never change.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ND1 said:

Just heard one of our LB recruits has been offered by Oregon but is still committed to UND.  Not sure how many LB we have commuted,  but I suspect it might be the kid from Wisconsin.

There is no question UND's staff recruited some high character kids with very good talent in this year's class. Man, I hope we can hang on to all of them. Bubba and his staff have UND in position to do big time things in the future.  

13 hours ago, homer said:

I'd go check with one of your main local recruiting guru's on b'ville.  Like a good agent, he has said this absolutely was true and Ott did not give NDSU consideration because of fact that UND was on him early and the relationship they have. 

Not true.

16 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

He was at our camp in July, if we were going to offer it would have been then.

Like every school, both FBS and FCS, NDSU offers scholarships long after camp season is over.  I have multiple first hand accounts of NDSU offering scholarships later in the process. 

16 hours ago, homer said:

The telling sign is he hasn't been over here "double-checking" the recruiting information that is posted.  Or lying about it on BV.  

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Oh, the gap is certainly closing. By the time UND is playing NDSU regularly, the gap will be closed. Bubba and his staff have done wonders.

Go UND! 

Absolutely, you put this gap closing on a graph, NDSU line is dropping down and UND's is going up, by or before  MVFC time, the lines collide.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Was he a PWO?

Based on how his commitment was originally reported, it seemed he was going to get a partial (no idea how much).  A fair explanation is we were pushing him to play defense and it looks like Winona will keep him at WR.  Good luck to him, though decommitting in the last week before signing day is unfortunate.  More money available for someone else.

8 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Listen dummy...

ndsu offered Zeke Ott a scholarship.  Not as a DE.  As a TE.  Zeke told them no.

Now take a lap.

EDIT:  Because Zeke said no to ndsu, it appears that the "next man up" for ndsu could be USD TE commit Jensen from Wayzata.

They got a commitment from the stud TE for Crosy-Ironton