SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

8 hours ago, UND-MH-Fan said:

I guess we wait to see what Kai can do as a 14 year old. See if he even comes close to what Bowden did.

I don't care what either do at 14, I am interested to see how they develop and do at the college level.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ChadR said:

Garrett Valk son of Garry was just here on recruiting visit. Playing for Chilliwack of BCHL this year. Good sized d man and little bit of a late bloomer. 

Looks like he played 3 games this year with Chilliwack (like Bowen two years ago), must be a good player, based on his age he’ll be a Junior in HS next year. 

4 hours ago, ChadR said:

Garrett Valk son of Garry was just here on recruiting visit. Playing for Chilliwack of BCHL this year. Good sized d man and little bit of a late bloomer. 

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/sports/video-garrett-valk-son-of-former-nhler-garry-valk-making-an-impact-at-rebels-main-camp/

Looks like he just recently moved to defense, so maybe a nice upside.  Hopefully if he develops nicely he doesn’t go to the WHL. Playing for Chilliwack is a good sign.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

UND continues to miss out on way too many good Minnesota kids for my liking. Tristan Broz a Junior to be out of Blake committed to Minnesota and Carsen Richels a Senior to be from Blaine committed to New Hampshire. 

We've been getting some nice recruits as of late.  Broz had Minny written all over him.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

UND continues to miss out on way too many good Minnesota kids for my liking. Tristan Broz a Junior to be out of Blake committed to Minnesota and Carsen Richels a Senior to be from Blaine committed to New Hampshire. 

He wasn't ever coming to UND. 

31 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Some kids have their heart set on one particular school and aren't really worth recruiting. Better to direct resources to kids that haven't made up their minds.

Correct. 

Think of it this way: Would it have been wise to give anything more than a cursory "hello" to any of Don Lucia's kids. They were Domers or Goophers from birth. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Correct. 

Think of it this way: Would it have been wise to give anything more than a cursory "hello" to any of Don Lucia's kids. They were Domers or Goophers from birth. 

They were too busy saying hello to his assistant coach’s kids. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 9:22 AM, Goon said:

He wasn't ever coming to UND. 

He probably wasn't, but I can tell you that UND made a hell of impression on Tristin and his family. Nearly everything UND did on the visit was superior to what UM did... better connection with coaches, better facilities, better academic presentation, etc. But the lure of staying home was too strong. We can all relate to that. But it was worth taking a shot at him for sure.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 9:46 AM, Ozzie82 said:

He probably wasn't, but I can tell you that UND made a hell of impression on Tristin and his family. Nearly everything UND did on the visit was superior to what UM did... better connection with coaches, better facilities, better academic presentation, etc. But the lure of staying home was too strong. We can all relate to that. But it was worth taking a shot at him for sure.

Good to hear. Can you elaborate on how, why, or what UND did that was better in its recruiting pitch?  Just an honest question I’d be interested to know more about . . .  Thanks. 

Whelp... time to face facts....

Anybody on UAA or UAF we should be looking at bringing in immediately???

....as in this fall.

Last time this happened we vultured Clarke Saunders, and became a true Sioux through and through, really contributed to the program.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:38 PM, Benny Baker said:

Good to hear. Can you elaborate on how, why, or what UND did that was better in its recruiting pitch?  Just an honest question I’d be interested to know more about . . .  Thanks. 

Sorry for the delayed response.

The UND coaches, especially the head coach, established a better in person connection with the player and his family than UM did, and did a better job laying out the upcoming years on and off the ice.

32 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Sorry for the delayed response.

The UND coaches, especially the head coach, established a better in person connection with the player and his family than UM did, and did a better job laying out the upcoming years on and off the ice.

No worries.

Good on the coaches/staff to be mindful of the big picture, “off the ice” things when making recruiting pitches.