SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

That's an interesting question that's brought up a lot...either directly or indirectly. A lot of times when we get a good recruit, we are thrilled, but if we don't sign him, we just say we don't want a guy who will only be here one year anyways.

Here's how I look at it.

A guy as good as Seth Jones would be huge for any university. If he came to North Dakota, it adds another level of credibility to our team, especially if he goes on to be a future NHL star. Look at Toews. Let's say he only stayed one year. How would you feel about him? I know I would still be thrilled to know that UND had an impact on him, even if for only one season. Future recruits can be swayed by the past success stories of a school, so someone who looks up to a guy like Seth Jones might convince him to sign with UND vs elsewhere. It may not win you a championship, but it wouldn't hurt your chances either, so long as the student-athlete in question was a good student, a good teammate, and a good citizen of the community.

If a guy comes to UND and stays for only one year, but leaves for all the right reasons, there is absolutely no problem with that. If he is gone after one year for all the wrong reasons, that is potentially harmful.

Just my take.

It is double edged sword. I understand what you mean about adding some credibility. But I think it is also fair to point out that with an exception or two, the one and done type of player usually doesn't work out quite as well as fans expect. They often don't scratch the surface of what they might do in college before they sign. I like when we get big name talent but quick departures can also make it more difficult for a coach to build a team in the long term.

It is double edged sword. I understand what you mean about adding some credibility. But I think it is also fair to point out that with an exception or two, the one and done type of player usually doesn't work out quite as well as fans expect. They often don't scratch the surface of what they might do in college before they sign. I like when we get big name talent but quick departures can also make it more difficult for a coach to build a team in the long term.

Yes, but you can also make assumptions of who the one and dones will be, but it doesn't always work out like that. Heard some people think that Forbort would be a one and done, and some thought Kristo might be. Others thought Toews might be done after one and Oshie after two. If you can get an extra year out of some of those players, it doesn't guarantee you a championship, but it sure is fun to watch those players.

Yes, but you can also make assumptions of who the one and dones will be, but it doesn't always work out like that. Heard some people think that Forbort would be a one and done, and some thought Kristo might be. Others thought Toews might be done after one and Oshie after two. If you can get an extra year out of some of those players, it doesn't guarantee you a championship, but it sure is fun to watch those players.

THAT is something i can agree with. i just dont think the 1 and dones are remembered much unless they are nhl GREATS (especially on defense where the numbers arent there showing in the record books like they might with a nathan mackinnon).

He can't be brought in right away. Transfer rules. And doesn't he still have like a broken bone or something anyways?

He was in the lineup tonight and had 2 points. I see he has only played 19 games, so he was on the shelf for awhile. I didn't know if transfer rules still applied since he left last spring and went right to the USHL. Is UND still looking at him for next season?

He was in the lineup tonight and had 2 points. I see he has only played 19 games, so he was on the shelf for awhile. I didn't know if transfer rules still applied since he left last spring and went right to the USHL. Is UND still looking at him for next season?

He didn't leave in the middle of the season, therefore he's not eligible until the fall. He completed one year at the U. So he has to sit out an entire year, and he's sitting out that year by playing in the USHL. It counts as the "sit out" year. I'd be surprised if he came to UND at all though.

He didn't leave in the middle of the season, therefore he's not eligible until the fall. He completed one year at the U. So he has to sit out an entire year, and he's sitting out that year by playing in the USHL. It counts as the "sit out" year. I'd be surprised if he came to UND at all though.

I would be totally shocked if they haven't been keeping I eye him or even talked to him.Bringing in both Max's would be solid. Then add Seth Jones which is wishful thinking,.... :bigsmile:

as for the erik johnson reference- would you really want seth jones to come in for 1 year anyway?

absolutely, guys like that only help future recruiting and bring attention to the program. That being said, all the talk points to MJ route.

Goodbye, Stefan Matteau, we didn't even get a chance to know ya...

His QMJHL rights were traded today to Blainville, the team on which his father Stephane is an assistant coach.

QMJHL Transactions: http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/roster/transactions

He is already on their roster: http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/roster/list/team/44/season/

He hasn't officially signed as far as I've heard, but the handwriting is on the wall.

Goodbye, Stefan Matteau, we didn't even get a chance to know ya...

His QMJHL rights were traded today to Blainville, the team on which his father Stephane is an assistant coach.

QMJHL Transactions: http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/roster/transactions

He is already on their roster: http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/roster/list/team/44/season/

He hasn't officially signed as far as I've heard, but the handwriting is on the wall.

LAME

I'd rather have the kid say he isn't attending UND rather than him pulling a JT Miller at the 11th hour move. If the kid wants to go play for daddy, I hope he doesn't jerk UND's chain around in regards to making the decision.

I fully agree with you there. If Matteau chooses not to come to UND, at least the staff has half a season and the summer to get someone else in.

I fully agree with you there. If Matteau chooses not to come to UND, at least the staff has half a season and the summer to get someone else in.

Didn't a QMJHL have Malone on their roster as well? Even though he never went that route.

He hasn't exactly been standing out in the USHL after playing a year in college. Don't know if part of that is after effect from an injury or not.

Yes, a chance to get someone else in, but usually you have to get commitments from elite talent when they are 16 or 17, much like we did with him. At least they can recruit for a couple years down the road if this follows through with the path it looks like.

Seems like the popular thing to do these days is jump ship and do the MJ thing. You just hope that early commits like the Thompson kid from Devils Lake doesn't head that route, as he basically has three years of the CHL trying to get him north of the border.

You just wonder what type of success Jack Campbell, JT Miller, Jared Tinordi, Emerson Etem, etc. would have in the college game.

Unfortunately in the case of JT Miller, at this point he probably feels like the best choice was made in his situation because he is having huge success for Plymouth. Through 32 games he's second on the team in ppg at 1.22, and is tied for second on the team in total points (He would probably lead his team in points if he had the full allotment of games under his belt for the Whalers).