SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

And there are several recruits out there on the radar that could bolster the list even more - Clint Lewis, Ian McCoshen, Seth Jones, Alex Schoenborn, etc., etc., etc.

Again, nothing here really that's not already known, but I figured I'd put pen to paper finger to keyboard on my thoughts.

seth jones? really? the kid might be the second overall pick- hes not playing college hockey.

seth jones? really? the kid might be the second overall pick- hes not playing college hockey.

If I had to guess one way or another, I'd agree with you. But Jones going to the WHL is not, at this point, a foregone conclusion. There's still a chance he plays college, and UND would very much be in the mix if he does.

Not really new news but today during the weekly chat from 3-4 pm. Brad was asked if he had any info on where Mitch McMillan is planning on going since he left St. Cloud before the Christmas break. Brad said he will try contact him in the next couple days but wouldn't be surprised if he comes to UND. Sounds like we may get another McMillian during the midway point next season. Brothers McMillian might be a good line combo.

What has changed since they didn't recruit him the first time around? He was frustrated with playing time at St. Cloud, but didn't want to stay and work his way into playing time. I think Motzko is a pretty fair coach and wants to win, so I would have to assume that he thought other players gave them a better chance to win. I would hope and assume that if he did come here, he would be a walk-on, because like I said, if they think the line combo would be good, why didn't they recruit them together the first time around.

What has changed since they didn't recruit him the first time around? He was frustrated with playing time at St. Cloud, but didn't want to stay and work his way into playing time. I think Motzko is a pretty fair coach and wants to win, so I would have to assume that he thought other players gave them a better chance to win. I would hope and assume that if he did come here, he would be a walk-on, because like I said, if they think the line combo would be good, why didn't they recruit them together the first time around.

What changed? For starters, J.T. Miller never showed up on campus. McMillan was already committed to SCSU, so we had to go the walk-on route to fill Miller's spot in the class.

What changed? For starters, J.T. Miller never showed up on campus. McMillan was already committed to SCSU, so we had to go the walk-on route to fill Miller's spot in the class.

Yes, but you now have time to recruit to fill that position. I would say that he should come in as a walk-on and prove himself like Gaarder to receive scholarship money. If they didn't think the chemistry between the brothers was worth taking the plunge before, why now, if indeed it comes to fruition. If he can't find playing time at St. Cloud, what does that say about our lineup. Maybe there were other issues at St. Cloud where he didn't want to stay, but I would think there are plenty of other recruits to draw on now. If he could play right away, then I can see the J.T. Miller angle, but he wouldn't be able to play until after Christmas next year. Hakstol didn't bring in someone after Christmas this year because I'm sure no one was available that could be a difference maker. If he will fight for playing time here, I have no problem because depth is always a good thing, but I also think the Sioux will have a lot of depth next year and could add some more skill with the scholarship money they have that went unused with departures like Cichy and Bruneteau and the Miller fiasco.

If he's the 2nd overall pick, that would put him wayyy out of UND's reach since Jonathan Toews was wayyy down at the 3rd overall pick and Hak had no chance at landing him either.

• Upvote 2

Yes, but you now have time to recruit to fill that position. I would say that he should come in as a walk-on and prove himself like Gaarder to receive scholarship money. If they didn't think the chemistry between the brothers was worth taking the plunge before, why now, if indeed it comes to fruition. If he can't find playing time at St. Cloud, what does that say about our lineup. Maybe there were other issues at St. Cloud where he didn't want to stay, but I would think there are plenty of other recruits to draw on now. If he could play right away, then I can see the J.T. Miller angle, but he wouldn't be able to play until after Christmas next year. Hakstol didn't bring in someone after Christmas this year because I'm sure no one was available that could be a difference maker. If he will fight for playing time here, I have no problem because depth is always a good thing, but I also think the Sioux will have a lot of depth next year and could add some more skill with the scholarship money they have that went unused with departures like Cichy and Bruneteau and the Miller fiasco.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it all shakes out or what the potential scenarios could be. With all the highly sought after kids committing early these days, it may have been difficult to bring in a "difference maker" for the 2012 class so late in the game after Miller bolted. I guess we'll have to see what happens over the next few weeks...kid could end up somewhere else.

The best year of Mitch MacMillian's hockey career is the year of juniors where he had a centerman named Mark MacMillian. Mitch ran at a better than goal-a-game pace that year. I wouldn't have a problem with Mitch coming in under the understanding that there are no guarantees and that he'd be a walk-on, and having to earn every minute.

The best year of Mitch MacMillian's hockey career is the year of juniors where he had a centerman named Mark MacMillian. Mitch ran at a better than goal-a-game pace that year. I wouldn't have a problem with Mitch coming in under the understanding that there are no guarantees and that he'd be a walk-on, and having to earn every minute.

I agree with that. I mean it's not like UND has had bad success with brothers on a team. (Panzers, Hoogsteins)

Him coming here as a walk on is the only way I'd want him here. I'd rather use our scholarship money elsewhere at this time.

I have confidence in our coaching staff that they are not going to "waste" any scholarship $ if it isn't warranted!

I think in the end we know the coaches have more information than us. From the outside, it would just seem unusual that you didn't recruit a guy the first time around, then when he hasn't proven himself at another school which doesn't have the same history, you decide to bring him in. It seems fair to ask a guy who left a team supposedly because of playing time to earn himself a scholarship. If he walked on it would just be a bonus to have the depth, even if he wasn't an everynight player.

From the outside, it would just seem unusual that you didn't recruit a guy the first time around, then when he hasn't proven himself at another school which doesn't have the same history, you decide to bring him in.

Maybe UND was in the running for him prior to his commitment to SCSU, but SCSU made him a better offer.

Not sure, just maybe a thought.

I think in the end we know the coaches have more information than us. From the outside, it would just seem unusual that you didn't recruit a guy the first time around, then when he hasn't proven himself at another school which doesn't have the same history, you decide to bring him in. It seems fair to ask a guy who left a team supposedly because of playing time to earn himself a scholarship. If he walked on it would just be a bonus to have the depth, even if he wasn't an everynight player.

I don't disagree with you at all.

This may have been asked or discussed already somewhere in the previous 370+ pages so here goes. Who was the biggest highly touted recruit who was a complete washout?

Grimaldi. He was so highly regarded coming in...and he has, what, 2 points all season?

;)

I think both the Grimaldi comments are out of line. His injury came in practice before the beginning of the season. He had never had any problems with his knee caps before this and even with the injury and the pain he was in, he still did everything he could to play and contribute. His individual play against the gophers was one of the best individual plays by a UND player this year.

I think both the Grimaldi comments are out of line. His injury came in practice before the beginning of the season. He had never had any problems with his knee caps before this and even with the injury and the pain he was in, he still did everything he could to play and contribute. His individual play against the gophers was one of the best individual plays by a UND player this year.

Are you that person who can't read a joke when it's marked as a joke?

Erik Johnson played a year of college after being selected #1 as well.

ok then hes going to play for the sioux.

to be honest he has been pretty open about not being thrilled with cold winters (as dumb a reason as that sounds- it is a factor for some kids). he is from texas and i just dont see him choosing north dakota. hes friends with a lot of guys going to michigan and miami so i would guess one of those if he goes to college- but i dont see him going to college at all. but crazier things have happened eh. as for the erik johnson reference- would you really want seth jones to come in for 1 year anyway?

as for the erik johnson reference- would you really want seth jones to come in for 1 year anyway?

That's an interesting question that's brought up a lot...either directly or indirectly. A lot of times when we get a good recruit, we are thrilled, but if we don't sign him, we just say we don't want a guy who will only be here one year anyways.

Here's how I look at it.

A guy as good as Seth Jones would be huge for any university. If he came to North Dakota, it adds another level of credibility to our team, especially if he goes on to be a future NHL star. Look at Toews. Let's say he only stayed one year. How would you feel about him? I know I would still be thrilled to know that UND had an impact on him, even if for only one season. Future recruits can be swayed by the past success stories of a school, so someone who looks up to a guy like Seth Jones might convince him to sign with UND vs elsewhere. It may not win you a championship, but it wouldn't hurt your chances either, so long as the student-athlete in question was a good student, a good teammate, and a good citizen of the community.

If a guy comes to UND and stays for only one year, but leaves for all the right reasons, there is absolutely no problem with that. If he is gone after one year for all the wrong reasons, that is potentially harmful.

Just my take.

That's an interesting question that's brought up a lot...either directly or indirectly. A lot of times when we get a good recruit, we are thrilled, but if we don't sign him, we just say we don't want a guy who will only be here one year anyways.

Here's how I look at it.

A guy as good as Seth Jones would be huge for any university. If he came to North Dakota, it adds another level of credibility to our team, especially if he goes on to be a future NHL star. Look at Toews. Let's say he only stayed one year. How would you feel about him? I know I would still be thrilled to know that UND had an impact on him, even if for only one season. Future recruits can be swayed by the past success stories of a school, so someone who looks up to a guy like Seth Jones might convince him to sign with UND vs elsewhere. It may not win you a championship, but it wouldn't hurt your chances either, so long as the student-athlete in question was a good student, a good teammate, and a good citizen of the community.

If a guy comes to UND and stays for only one year, but leaves for all the right reasons, there is absolutely no problem with that. If he is gone after one year for all the wrong reasons, that is potentially harmful.

Just my take.

I agree totally and present as evidence,

Mr. Ed Belfour

One year, brought great credibility to the program, still does.