SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Miller probably thinks he made the right decision, but he'd probably be a stronger player once the NHL comes calling for him if he was playing college hockey. How tough is it for him to be beating up on young players in the CHL? If he were playing against older players in the WCHA, he certainly wouldn't have as many points, but in the long run he'd be a better all-around player for it.

Miller probably thinks he made the right decision, but he'd probably be a stronger player once the NHL comes calling for him if he was playing college hockey. How tough is it for him to be beating up on young players in the CHL? If he were playing against older players in the WCHA, he certainly wouldn't have as many points, but in the long run he'd be a better all-around player for it.

Agreed. I think the WCHA is a little more like the NHL than the OHL is with the physical defensemen in the league. If you look at the Whaler's schedule they've played in a lot of games where you have 8-10 goals scored, which is completely atypical of an NHL hockey game where on average you have 4-6 goals scored. A lot of wide open play in the OHL that you won't see when the NHL comes calling.

I saw a conversation on Twitter that said Matteau is facing a huge USHL suspension and wouldn't be eligible to play for a long time and that's why this QMJHL thing is happening. Draft year. Needs to play. But take that with a grain of salt. That's just what I read on Twitter, and you never know about that kind of thing.

I saw a conversation on Twitter that said Matteau is facing a huge USHL suspension and wouldn't be eligible to play for a long time and that's why this QMJHL thing is happening. Draft year. Needs to play. But take that with a grain of salt. That's just what I read on Twitter, and you never know about that kind of thing.

I think you may be right. Matteau has been suspended for 7 USHL games as a result of end of game altercation in a game against Cedar Rapids on December 16th. Seems like he went ballistic...

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Slashing Game Misconduct), 10 min, 20:00

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Cross Checking Game Misconduct), 10 min, 20:00

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Unsportsmanlike Conduct Gross Misconduct), 10 min, 20:00

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Slashing Major), 5 min, 20:00

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Cross Checking Major), 5 min, 20:00

Only place where I see it listed as 7 games is on this website:

http://www.dropyourg...spx?Game=378408

But also saw a reference about it on finishyourcheck.com which has a USHL discussion board:

http://finishyourche...st__p__14716973

Also gleaned from that website that Minot, ND native Alex Schoenborn has signed with the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. That's too bad to lose a chance on a North Dakota kid.

Yeah one of my Friends had that on Twitter apparently he is in trouble for an incident.

@goon48 Heard the Sioux picked up a real thug. Can't remember his name but plays for Team USA. Gets multiple game suspensions lots.

12:23 PM - 8 Jan 12 via txt · Embed this Tweet

So if Matteau isn't coming in next year, then for forwards it is just Koules and Caggiula, and I'm sure an extra year of hockey before college would help Caggiula for making an impact. I would think the Sioux would need at least a few more forwards especially with the depatures of Cichy and Bruneteau last year and the possibility of Kristo, Knight, and possibly Nelson leaving after this year. We had some walk-ons to help deal with a few of the losses, but we still seem to be shorthanded this year. Need to start restocking the cupboard.

I haven't come across any articles about a recent suspension for Matteau. The only articles I found are from spring 2011 when he was suspsended for a hit on St. Clair.

Matteau played for Team USA tonight against BU and scored a goal.

It'd be USHL games, not games against colleges for exhibitions though. So him playing today wouldn't factor into the suspension.

So if Matteau isn't coming in next year, then for forwards it is just Koules and Caggiula, and I'm sure an extra year of hockey before college would help Caggiula for making an impact. I would think the Sioux would need at least a few more forwards especially with the depatures of Cichy and Bruneteau last year and the possibility of Kristo, Knight, and possibly Nelson leaving after this year. We had some walk-ons to help deal with a few of the losses, but we still seem to be shorthanded this year. Need to start restocking the cupboard.

Technically, St Clair would be in the freshman class also. Just pointing that out.

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Slashing Game Misconduct), 10 min, 20:00

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Cross Checking Game Misconduct), 10 min, 20:00

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Unsportsmanlike Conduct Gross Misconduct), 10 min, 20:00

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Slashing Major), 5 min, 20:00

Team USA - Stefan Matteau - (Cross Checking Major), 5 min, 20:00

Wow, that must have been quite the craziness...

Steffan Mateau via his Twitter has committed to QMHL.

Yes I am going to say it what a punk. He is one level above JT Miller though. At least he didn't pull this stunt at the 11th hour.

As I saw someone say on twitter: " Seems like the NTDP needs to offer some classes on what the word "commit" means."

That pretty much says it all.

Yes I am going to say it what a punk. He is one level above JT Miller though. At least he didn't pull this stunt at the 11th hour.

As I saw someone say on twitter: " Seems like the NTDP needs to offer some classes on what the word "commit" means."

That pretty much says it all.

Well, if you think about it, that team is made up of guys who "quit" on their High School teams. Yes yes yes, I know they are there to improve their game, but they must think they are doing the same by going to Major Juniors. Food for thought...

Well, if you think about it, that team is made up of guys who "quit" on their High School teams. Yes yes yes, I know they are there to improve their game, but they must think they are doing the same by going to Major Juniors. Food for thought...

Not quite. Leaving hs to go play usually against older more mature competition. I am afraid going to Major Juniors would be going to play with younger less mature players than college.

they don't go to play for their country...?