SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

At Sioux boosters today Hak said it is really hard to be able to judge character and integrity these days when a kid looks you in the eye and tells you he is 100% committed just 2-3 weeks ago but UND will continue to recruit the top end kids.

It's frustrating for the fans, but it has to be 10x more frustrating for the coaches.

I read on twitter that Sioux recruit Miles Koules' WHL rights were traded to Medicine Hat, one of the teams his dad once played for. Brad Schlossman believes Koules' commitment to UND is solid and said he will be visiting UND soon.

However, with the way things are going and the ease with which Miller and Matteau lied to our coaches, nothing would surprise me at this point.

are these kids using ncaa commitments to bargain for trades to junior teams they prefer?

I would assume so. Its pretty ridiculous at this point. And of course, due to the brilliance of the NCAA, college hockey programs are pretty much powerless to do much about it, without violating the NC$$ laws, sacred as they are.

I know that College Hockey Inc. is limited in what it can do to counteract Major Juniors and I also understand that its not an instantaneous solution, but the fact that more and more NTDP kids are breaking committments is a quite ridiculous. Why hasn't Paul Kelly sat down with that organization and tried to reach an understanding. If other coaches/managers/etc. use their position to influence their players, why doesn't USA Hockey work on keeping their players in the US!!!!! If our own countries best development program isn't willing to fight for their players to go the college route, what hope does college hockey have?

Hypothetically speaking, it is better for a kid to back out now rather than "pull a Coyle/Okposo" and decommit from the team halfway through the season if you ask me. If they aren't interested in the school aspect, so be it. The timing on this one is much better than the timing on JT Miller.

Hypothetically speaking, it is better for a kid to back out now rather than "pull a Coyle/Okposo" and decommit from the team halfway through the season if you ask me. If they aren't interested in the school aspect, so be it. The timing on this one is much better than the timing on JT Miller.

Agree, but it is so troubling to see this trend.

Sources that I have talked to said Koules dad pleaded for this trade. I think we can kiss koules good bye too.

For what it's worth, I heard there were a handful of teams inquiring about Miles' rights and they were all informed he remains committed to UND. Now, how that plays out over the next 7 months remains to be seen, as the major junior clubs must certainly be brimming with confidence that they can lure high-end US kids (particularly those in the NTDP) out of their NCAA commitments.

For what it's worth, I heard there were a handful of teams inquiring about Miles' rights and they were all informed he remains committed to UND. Now, how that plays out over the next 7 months remains to be seen, as the major junior clubs must certainly be brimming with confidence that they can lure high-end US kids (particularly those in the NTDP) out of their NCAA commitments.

Looking at the trade it isn't like Medicine Hat gave up the farm to get him. A lower level forward who had the worst +/- on the team plus a conditional pick doesn't exactly say that say to me that they think they will get him for sure.

Here's hoping...

Even though you guys are arguably our biggest rival, it still upsets me to see players opt out of their commitments and play in the CHL. Gone are the days where players honored their commitments and in it's place seems to be an overwhelming sense of entitlement in some cases. I genuinely feel for you guys.

i agree. it has riled up this fanbase because other than Clarke, this hasn't happened to UND much in the past. in fact, they have a great track record of keeping guys for 1-2 more years in college than they could've.

The thing that really pisses me and others off is that it's the NDTP guys that are doing this lately. Both Miller and Matteau SIGNED their LOI's...not just a verbal. Shouldn't USA hockey steer guys to go the college route? maybe i'm off my rocker on that one. or maybe the six figure payouts by MJ teams is really true.

i agree. it has riled up this fanbase because other than Clarke, this hasn't happened to UND much in the past. in fact, they have a great track record of keeping guys for 1-2 more years in college than they could've.

The thing that really pisses me and others off is that it's the NDTP guys that are doing this lately. Both Miller and Matteau SIGNED their LOI's...not just a verbal. Shouldn't USA hockey steer guys to go the college route? maybe i'm off my rocker on that one. or maybe the six figure payouts by MJ teams is really true.

I agree about the USNDTP team guys... if college hockey can't keep those guys, then it seems Paul Kelley and College Hockey Inc. has had zero impact in the areas they were created to focus on. Even though it's a completely uneven playing field with the NC$$ restrictions college teams have, it seems so far that College Hockey Inc. is a complete and utter failure (if I am wrong, and I wish I was, please give me evidence to the contrary). I've said it numerous times before, I don't like it when it happens, no matter the team. I didn't like okposo leaving midseason, I don't like Coyle bailing midseason, and although backing out on a signed loi gives the team some time to fill the gap, it is still backing out on a commitment. Guys like Kessel or Johnson or Turris who left after one year, fine, I'm sure the teams knew that was a distinct possibility with the blue chip recruits, but at least they stuck to their committments. These players using a college committment to get a favorable trade up in the CHL is despicable. I don't wish ill will on anyone, but I will never be a fan of players like Clarke, Miller or now Matteau... partially for selfish reasons because I am a Sioux fan first, but secondly because these young men show a complete lack of integrity, and that isn't the type of person I can get behind. *end rant, had to get that out :) GO SIOUX!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I'm not a big fan of USA Hockey or the NTDP, so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I won't get into that and clutter up your recruiting thread. You would think they would, but I think they are more interested in getting kids drafted as high as possible because they are paid by the NHL to do that. I know what you're going to say, the NCAA is every bit as good as the CHL in developing players and preparing them to play in the NHL as the CHL. However, I don't think USA Hockey cares as much as we think they do/should about the NCAA. As long as kids get drafted as high as possible, they are content.

I agree about the USNDTP team guys... if college hockey can't keep those guys, then it seems Paul Kelley and College Hockey Inc. has had zero impact in the areas they were created to focus on. Even though it's a completely uneven playing field with the NC$$ restrictions college teams have, it seems so far that College Hockey Inc. is a complete and utter failure (if I am wrong, and I wish I was, please give me evidence to the contrary). I've said it numerous times before, I don't like it when it happens, no matter the team. I didn't like okposo leaving midseason, I don't like Coyle bailing midseason, and although backing out on a signed loi gives the team some time to fill the gap, it is still backing out on a commitment. Guys like Kessel or Johnson or Turris who left after one year, fine, I'm sure the teams knew that was a distinct possibility with the blue chip recruits, but at least they stuck to their committments. These players using a college committment to get a favorable trade up in the CHL is despicable. I don't wish ill will on anyone, but I will never be a fan of players like Clarke, Miller or now Matteau... partially for selfish reasons because I am a Sioux fan first, but secondly because these young men show a complete lack of integrity, and that isn't the type of person I can get behind. *end rant, had to get that out :) GO SIOUX!!!!!!!

I'm the exact same way.

Any team is better with players who have a deep desire to play for a program. Losing Miller and Matteau hurts, but what is somewhat underrated is the effect of a player like LaDue or Kristo who are lifelong fans and wish to be a part of the program. These hurt, but we will continue to be a perennial contender. I would mention that last years senior class was not particularly hearlded but they did OK.