SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Less than a week away, let's get some predictions. How many players that are eligible to commit August 1st does UND land over the next year (Late '06 / '07 guys)? They got 5 last year that was in that group. 

Here's my guess. I think they get 7. I'm feeling a bit bullish with the Emery commit. 

• Hensler
  • Laurila
  • Lindberg
  • O'Neill
  • Spehar
  • Murphy
  • Frank

Not sure how many we'll get, but if we don't get them, GF will say that I said that we didn't want them ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Less than a week away, let's get some predictions. How many players that are eligible to commit August 1st does UND land over the next year (Late '06 / '07 guys)? They got 5 last year that was in that group. 

Here's my guess. I think they get 7. I'm feeling a bit bullish with the Emery commit. 

• Hensler
  • Laurila
  • Lindberg
  • O'Neill
  • Spehar
  • Murphy
  • Frank

Last thing I heard was that we're in on all three of the local guys, but one is likely headed to Harvard. Can't blame a kid for that, frankly.

LJ Mooney is a target, too.

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Last thing I heard was that we're in on all three of the local guys, but one is likely headed to Harvard. Can't blame a kid for that, frankly.

LJ Mooney is a target, too.

I feel like most people assume Mooney will go to Minnesota (and he may) but I get the impression it’s not a done deal at all. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

• Hensler
  • Laurila
  • Lindberg
  • O'Neill
  • Spehar
  • Murphy
  • Frank

I'm wondering about how many defensemen they are willing to commit to in the next year or so, as you always could use a bit of room for a late bloomer or elite talent.  Will any of these guys be o.k. with getting pushed off a year or so?   If they are super high end, I wouldn't think that would be the case, so maybe seeing how some develop wouldn't hurt.  Maybe in the case of a legacy like Murphy, you could have some wiggle room because he would need to develop physically anyway.   Would think ultimately many of these guys could commit, just don't know how fast that would happen with a few of them. 

I think the coaching staff will commit to any of the top tier defensemen. So much can change. I don't think anyone was thinking 2 years ago that Strathmann was going to play a year of juniors past his draft year and McInnis when he committed seemed like he would be a sure-fire true freshman, but one injury plagued year likely threw that off. You also need to account that the premier talents are 1-2 year guys so. We could realistically land Hensler for the 24-25 season and he could be gone before Lindberg is even eligible to come in (25-26).

I think we'll get Lindberg and I'm feeling fairly confident on Laurila (60-70%). Lindberg is on a Gopher visit today, but I'm still hearing we're the front runner.

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Here's my guess. I think they get ...

• Spehar ... 
  • Frank

I cheered so hard against Gopher Dave Spehar in the day I worry I may burst into flames cheering for his son. Willing to try. :D 

Who's "Frank". (I'm not keeping up on all these lists lately.) 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I cheered so hard against Gopher Dave Spehar in the day I worry I may burst into flames cheering for his son. Willing to try. :D 

I assume Colin Frank. I haven’t seen him mentioned too much on this board but I’ve heard some chatter on him elsewhere. From California. I believe he’s supposed to play in the USHL this season for Dubuque. 

Lots of good information. 

• 3 FM NTDP guys.
    • Harvard entering the equation for one of them definitely throws a wrench into it. Like you said @stoneySIOUX, can't blame him if that person goes that route.
    • Lindberg doing a late visit to Minnesota isn't ideal
  • Mooney / Hensler.
    • This might seem like moving the goal posts a bit. The last time I was genuinely shocked with a commitment was Boeser. These two would be into that category. Although I wasn't shocked about Emery, it did give me the "maybe it can happen" feeling with Hensler. IF Mooney would commit to UND over Minnesota, that's almost more than I could process. 
  • Frank
    • @siouxforce19 nailed it, Colin Frank. I would say one of the highest sought after uncommitted '06's. This one is a complete shot in the dark from me.

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

November 9, 1996 at the old John. First Sioux game I ever attended. Rookie Dave Spehar scored and the place erupted. Gophers won 10-6. Lots of goals, scrums and jawing. Old time hockey during the lull between the North Stars and Wild.

My friend and I got a kick out of the elderly couple in the front row with Sioux jerseys that spent the whole game standing and pounding on the glass. Passionate doesn't begin to describe them.

Getting young Spehar after Dave spurned Duluth would be great.

Interesting noise out of the desert:
https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/36890-non-und-college-hockey-2023-24/page/11/#comment-1314045 

If that's a "strong hint" from the 'yotes that Cooley's gonna sign, how's that affect (Logan Cooley's cousin) LJ Mooney's thoughts. Most had him at UMn. 

Mooney'd have to put it in the ol' mental pot and 05-stirthepot.gif . 

If I were driving I'd be on NHL Radio on SiriusXM right now. But I'm typing. Wait, I just stopped typing. 

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Interesting noise out of the desert:
https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/36890-non-und-college-hockey-2023-24/page/11/#comment-1314045 

If that's a "strong hint" from the 'yotes that Cooley's gonna sign, how's that affect (Logan Cooley's cousin) LJ Mooney's thoughts. Most had him at UMn. 

Mooney'd have to put it in the ol' mental pot and 05-stirthepot.gif . 

If I were driving I'd be on NHL Radio on SiriusXM right now. But I'm typing. Wait, I just stopped typing. 

Although Mooney was never going to play Cooley, the idea that Mooney was going to commit to another school while Cooley was on roster really seemed unlikely to me. I would still have them as favorites, but this would have to open things up a bit, you'd think.  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

In the spirit of the Yotes tweet ...

Glad to see you stripped yourself away from work and didn't fumble that opportunity. 

If it’s coming from Craig Morgan there’s a good chance it’s true. He did say his sources are saying the ELC is signed.