SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament

petey23

5 minutes ago, burd said:

It does, and I like that this team plays smart that way.   They could use more of what Kunz brings, though.  

A little more Ross Rhea?;)  "Kid, you got this thing. The stuff. The s h i t. The fuckin' grit, you got it, like me."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, burd said:

I guess the part that leaves me in doubt about this team is that, for all their offensive skills and snipers, the vertical part of their game seems light, as does their physicality around the other team’s net.  I don’t have evidence to back that up.  And can Ludwig put together 4 straight stellar outings.   But hey:  no team is perfect.  Not even UMD

Please explain what you mean by 'vertical part of their game seems light'?

Related to team speed?

1 hour ago, krustyklown said:

Please explain what you mean by 'vertical part of their game seems light'?

Related to team speed?

Good question, actually.   It certainly relates to team speed, but I think of it as utilizing team speed.   Dylan James is very fast, but he uses it to push defenses vertically.  Johannes does as well.  Occasional stretch passes push vertically even when they don’t connect by pushing defenders back from the neutral zone.  CC and Omaha both had success neutralizing our speed and skill advantage in the neutral zone. 

There; how’s that for full-of-shyt?

50 minutes ago, burd said:

Good question, actually.   It certainly relates to team speed, but I think of it as utilizing team speed.   Dylan James is very fast, but he uses it to push defenses vertically.  Johannes does as well.  Occasional stretch passes push vertically even when they don’t connect by pushing defenders back from the neutral zone.  CC and Omaha both had success neutralizing our speed and skill advantage in the neutral zone. 

The FB guys would say you use speed to take the top off the defense. Same thing only different. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

CC neutralized UND's speed by trapping and clogging up the neutral zone. They play like a Jacques Lemaire coached team. It is very frustrating to play against and requires discipline. 

UND probably does not want to get in a horse race with BU, BC, UMinn, or even Michigan, though we would stack up pretty well.  Omaha and CC, though?  Thing is, slower, less skilled teams will do everything to avoid it until they have no choice.   

Look, I am aware that I have narry a clue about such matters compared to many here.   But that's half the fun.     

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

I'm hoping for some chaos via the NCHC getting 6 teams in. 

I wasn't able to find a path with that happening.  I believe with the Q losing its impossible. 

• Upvote 1

How UND can get a 1 seed still, doesn't matter what happens with the ECAC

• CCHA Championship: Bemidji State def. Michigan Tech
  • ECAC Semifinal #2: Cornell def. Dartmouth
  • ECAC Championship: Cornell def. St. Lawrence
  • Hockey East Semifinal #2: Boston University def. Maine
  • Hockey East Championship: Boston University def. Boston College
  • Atlantic Hockey Championship: RIT def. American Int'l
  • Big Ten Championship: Michigan def. Michigan State
  • NCHC Semifinal #2: St. Cloud State def. Denver
  • NCHC Championship: Omaha def. St. Cloud State

image.png.28546ad4370f1dff7fe54569d7983aaa.png

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

UND vs Michigan would be a fun way to end the season. 

They certainly have a "bit" more talent that UNO.  And they're playing well.
Wouldn't like that matchup, for sure.  I'd prefer QU, they tanked today as well (to a much worse team than UNO).

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

How UND can get a 1 seed still, doesn't matter what happens with the ECAC

• CCHA Championship: Bemidji State def. Michigan Tech
  • ECAC Semifinal #2: Cornell def. Dartmouth
  • ECAC Championship: Cornell def. St. Lawrence
  • Hockey East Semifinal #2: Boston University def. Maine
  • Hockey East Championship: Boston University def. Boston College
  • Atlantic Hockey Championship: RIT def. American Int'l
  • Big Ten Championship: Michigan def. Michigan State
  • NCHC Semifinal #2: St. Cloud State def. Denver
  • NCHC Championship: Omaha def. St. Cloud State

image.png.28546ad4370f1dff7fe54569d7983aaa.png

Impressive reconnaissance. 

Down to just UMass and CC for the final at-large:

https://www.uscho.com/2024/03/23/bracketology-extra-fifteen-spots-have-been-filled-in-the-ncaa-field-with-colorado-college-massachusetts-left-to-claim-the-last-and-fractions-of-a-decimal-point-separating-the-two/

• Most simply, if BOTH Denver and Cornell win, UMass is in (this accounts for eight different scenarios).
  • If BOTH Denver and Cornell lose, UMass is eliminated; CC receives final at-large bid
  • IF either Denver or Cornell lose, but not BOTH, here are the five winners in the four scenarios where UMass receives final bid:
    • Michigan-AIC-St. Lawrence-Boston College-Denver
    • Michigan State-RIT-St. Lawrence-Boston College-Denver
    • Michigan State-AIC-St. Lawrence-Boston College-Denver
    • Michigan-AIC-Cornell-Boston College-Omaha
  • All other combinations, Colorado College receives the final at-large bid