SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tournament

petey23

12 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Talent. We are losing the recruiting battle. 

Maybe we are losing with philosophy less than losing the recruiting battles.  If you aren't as talented, I would argue you would lose more during the regular season as well.  I think it is a mindset, and getting the players to perform on the big stage that is the issue.  Maybe we are losing the battle of recruiting guys that refuse to lose.  I know Carle has said he likes to recruit guys that have a pedigree of winning.  Obviously UND has guys with that same pedigree, but maybe they need someone else to look at what they are doing in the postseason.  I know Hakstol wasn't too proud and asked Gasparini's advice to try get over the hump.  I would hope Berry would be open to some constructive criticism from a few mentors as well. 

32 minutes ago, Irish said:

And yet Denver is going to the Frozen Four again not us.  If it's not recruiting that only leaves one other thing.

all of those 3 could pull a "Rizzo"...correct?

all of those 3 could pull a "Tambelinni"...correct?

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Maybe we are losing with philosophy less than losing the recruiting battles.  If you aren't as talented, I would argue you would lose more during the regular season as well.  I think it is a mindset, and getting the players to perform on the big stage that is the issue.  Maybe we are losing the battle of recruiting guys that refuse to lose.  I know Carle has said he likes to recruit guys that have a pedigree of winning.  Obviously UND has guys with that same pedigree, but maybe they need someone else to look at what they are doing in the postseason.  I know Hakstol wasn't too proud and asked Gasparini's advice to try get over the hump.  I would hope Berry would be open to some constructive criticism from a few mentors as well. 

Sometimes I think it's a combination of mental fatigue & what you're saying: not knowing how to win. Mental fatigue in the sense that there's so much focus & drive into winning the Penrose from Day 1, that when they do win it, the team treats it like a mini-championship & they all breathe a collective sigh of relief; losing their competitive edge because there's a natural letdown after each player has put so much effort into winning it for the past 5 months. I say this because most of the team seems drained come March, not just a few players. Peaking at the wrong time, perhaps.

Berry's biggest challenge this off-season won't be getting a guy like Pohlkamp or Wood, it will be to take a long, hard, honest look in the mirror; maybe reaching out to mentors who have a track record of winning. Because having a star-studded roster won't get the team any closer to a national title if it's the coach's philosophy that is weighing the team down.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, tnt said:

You mean like some of the experts on this board?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

You mean like some of the experts on this board?

I would hope he has better connections than to have to revert to that.  Seriously, it would need to be someone in the loop of the current state of college hockey.   I know some NHL people are adamant that you stick with your line combinations for continuity and to create a chemistry, but others change lines like Berry does.   I just think an outsiders viewpoint of why we can't get past one game with the talent and advantages we have is a good place to start.   

My perception is that Berry doesn't think that anything is wrong.  When they talk about how proud they are and that they left it all out on the line, it seems a disconnect with getting outshot 15-1 when you were that close to being able to put a game away, or at least get up by a couple goals.   Would have loved to hear the exhortation by the coaches going into the 3rd period.   

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u serious

Hak isn't given enough credit for changing from friend/dad to head coach after the Judy's debacle. 
Berry could learn from it. 

and.............................................................

Let's see, you are mocking someone at the top level of their profession.  How about you telling us for which Fortune 500 company you are CEO!   Seriously, tell us where we will see your name in the headlines, other than for some transgression.   

image.png.78c0568ff1398ca51cf445ea75ef2d88.png

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Let's see, you are mocking someone at the top level of their profession.  How about you telling us for which Fortune 500 company you are CEO!   Seriously, tell us where we will see your name in the headlines, other than for some transgression.   

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=1bf338c7170be488JmltdHM9MTcxMTkyOTYwMCZpZ3VpZD0wNGFkMWZlOC1kN2Q3LTZiNWEtMjYzMS0wYzBkZDZhZjZhMDEmaW5zaWQ9NTYyNg&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=04ad1fe8-d7d7-6b5a-2631-0c0dd6af6a01&u=a1L2ltYWdlcy9zZWFyY2g_cT13ZWxsJTIwd2UlMjdyZSUyMHdhaXRpbmclMjBnaWYmRk9STT1JUUZSQkEmaWQ9M0ZFMjkzMUREOEJBNTQyNzE3QTY5NTE0Q0Y3RDhDNkI4RTkwMEJEOA&ntb=1

A reminder of rule 7 of internetting:  always assume the opposing is a 12 y/o special needs person.

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=1bf338c7170be488JmltdHM9MTcxMTkyOTYwMCZpZ3VpZD0wNGFkMWZlOC1kN2Q3LTZiNWEtMjYzMS0wYzBkZDZhZjZhMDEmaW5zaWQ9NTYyNg&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=04ad1fe8-d7d7-6b5a-2631-0c0dd6af6a01&u=a1L2ltYWdlcy9zZWFyY2g_cT13ZWxsJTIwd2UlMjdyZSUyMHdhaXRpbmclMjBnaWYmRk9STT1JUUZSQkEmaWQ9M0ZFMjkzMUREOEJBNTQyNzE3QTY5NTE0Q0Y3RDhDNkI4RTkwMEJEOA&ntb=1

so your doing the lameriouex qualifying...if you don't have a gold medal around your neck you can't voice your opinion?

you'll see my at the drive thru at mcdonalds slinging mccrispys and apple pies buddy.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so your doing the lameriouex qualifying...if you don't have a gold medal around your neck you can't voice your opinion?

you'll see my at the drive thru at mcdonalds slinging mccrispys and apple pies buddy.

It's one thing to voice your opinion, but quite another to act like someone is stupid for using Hakstol as a person from whom to request advice.  There is a reason he was a finalist for coach of the year at the highest level of hockey.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tnt said:

It's one thing to voice your opinion, but quite another to act like someone is stupid for using Hakstol as a person from whom to request advice.  There is a reason he was a finalist for coach of the year at the highest level of hockey.   

they were saying that berry should contact coaches that have won a natty to help him evolve/grow ....of those three names only Hak has never won a Natty or anything else that ends your season with a "W".....just saying.

OIP.IRv4-DNb2mn_FbaEb_XKQQAAAA?rs=1&pid=

they were saying that berry should contact coaches that have won a natty to help him evolve/grow 

Go back. Read. It says winning, mentors, but not the bolded. You self-inferred that. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Go back. Read. It says winning, mentors, but not the bolded. You self-inferred that. 

it should be inferred bc that is what everyone on here is complaining about....not just happy and giddy with an ncaa tourney appearance.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and.............................................................

If you wanted to ask someone how to be a better nfl quarterback, would you ask Dan Marino or Trent Dilfer?  Or maybe Jeff Hostetler. 

Berry has shortcomings he needs to work on (we all do) before the larger goals. 

First things first. 

I ain't winnin' the Indy 500 without a race car.
Car, then race. 

• Like 1