SiouxSports.com Forum

The Portal - Basketball Edition

sioux24/7

I like the fact that we are going after players like this, but the realty is in most cases its a long shot.  Unless there are some local ties, a kid from the Texas area isn't coming to ND unless there are no other options and even then will be a tough sell.  We need to stay focus on regional kids.  

Just now, ND1 said:

I like the fact that we are going after players like this, but the realty is in most cases its a long shot.  Unless there are some local ties, a kid from the Texas area isn't coming to ND unless there are no other options and even then will be a tough sell.  We need to stay focus on regional kids.  

NIL could play a part in recruitment situations like this...

I wonder if Hendo is going to stay at SDSU or will be looking to move on. They have Kyle III moving on then if Zeke Mayo leaves they have only Garry, Barnhart, and Mors returning with experience number of redshirt freshman returning not the experienced teams he has coached since taking over. I see he is one of the top 5 being reported to be considered for the Drake job and it would be move up and keeps in the same recruiting area and place basically to raise a family.

7 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I wonder if Hendo is going to stay at SDSU or will be looking to move on. They have Kyle III moving on then if Zeke Mayo leaves they have only Garry, Barnhart, and Mors returning with experience number of redshirt freshman returning not the experienced teams he has coached since taking over. I see he is one of the top 5 being reported to be considered for the Drake job and it would be move up and keeps in the same recruiting area and place basically to raise a family.

I'm hearing that the Drake job is a real possibility for Hendo. Something to keep an eye on. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I'm hearing that the Drake job is a real possibility for Hendo. Something to keep an eye on. 

Phenomenal reporting. Who could have connected those dots 

26 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

Nice read confirming 52 stays in green for another season 

Great news. He will for sure be the focal point of the offense. Now we need a PG, a 3 and a 5. Plenty to choose from in the portal but gotta choose the right ones and them to choose us too! 

28 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Great news. He will for sure be the focal point of the offense. Now we need a PG, a 3 and a 5. Plenty to choose from in the portal but gotta choose the right ones and them to choose us too! 

Don't you think Eli is our PG?  I was so impressed with him this year. He just got better as the year went on. Plus his 3 point shooting really improved.  

17 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Don't you think Eli is our PG?  I was so impressed with him this year. He just got better as the year went on. Plus his 3 point shooting really improved.  

I don’t. I really like him too but I think he’s better off the ball. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Did you watch any of the games when he was our starting PG? He’s just not a PG unfortunately.

We need an actual PG out of the portal.

• Upvote 3

I disagree.  Eli has shown that he has very good playmaking skills.  He has very good vision for th open man.   No question exists that Tyree was better suited for our half court offense where it was essentially whatever he could create without much offensive movement from anyone else.  Tyree was good enough to make that happen against most teams.  However even Tyree, as talented as he was, struggled against better defensive teams hen we were forced into our half court offense - i.e., Omaha, KC, St. Thomas, NDSU, and SDSU.  We played better when we played with pace.  Our half court offense was not our strong suit even with the athletic skills of BJ and Tyree.  I hope that Paul will adapt a better offense to the tools we have and find a wat to get Trey some better looks.  With a better offense with more movement not entirely reliant on the singular playmaking of one or two players, I think Eli can fill that role very well.  He is an incredible defensive player.  He and Tyreee both made some unbelievable passes at times off the drive.  Certainly the addition of Tyree was huge for us.  But we also had the emergence of Amer the second half of the year which was also a game changer.  Don’t get me wrong.  I wish like hell that BJ and Tyree were staying.  I think we would have been the team to beat in the summit with those two,, but that is mid major basketball at this point.  I cant blame them for taking the opportunities that present themselves.  We will definitely have some holes to fill, but so will others in the summit.  I like the pieces coming back if we can find a few key players to fill holes, particularly a 3 and a big man.  I hope Kraft comes around next year, but we could certainly stand to add more shooting depth as well…. We do that, I think we can be in the hunt next year as well.

9 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Did you watch any of the games when he was our starting PG? He’s just not a PG unfortunately.

We need an actual PG out of the portal.

Yes I watched every game this year. I saw Eli improve significantly from the first game to the last.  He has great vision and play making ability. His defense is top notch and probably one of the best rebounding guards in the summit.  If we can't find a top notch pg in the portal we will be just fine with Eli! This basically was his freshman year. Next year we will see a whole other level for him. 

On 3/22/2024 at 10:37 PM, GoodGood said:

Difference is Richman has had success in the SLT. People do not like his personality, coaching style, and philosophy on the regular season

But they haven't done anything special in recent years, so I think that may be part of it.

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Yes I watched every game this year. I saw Eli improve significantly from the first game to the last.  He has great vision and play making ability. His defense is top notch and probably one of the best rebounding guards in the summit.  If we can't find a top notch pg in the portal we will be just fine with Eli! This basically was his freshman year. Next year we will see a whole other level for him. 

Yes, he certainly improved greatly from the first game to the last. I am just as much of a fan of Eli King as you are. 

He just isn't a PG. There was questions about this all of last off-season when he committed here and it was proven pretty quickly that some were correct that he isn't a PG.

His improvement came when he finally was in his natural position and playing off the ball. The team also finally started to play well when we had an actual PG to run the show. I'm happy to have Eli and glad that he will be here next year. However, he needs to be playing primarily off the ball and we need to get an actual PG out of the portal.

• Like 2

Eli will have to take a big step forward if he wants to play PG. Can he make a nice pass within the offense or in transition? Yes. But people also said the same thing about Treysen after his freshman year and we saw how that played out last year. There’s way more to being a PG than making an occasional nice pass 

• Like 2

Eli can fill in in a pinch but he shouldn’t be our primary point guard. He improved immensely throughout the year but not at being a PG, at everything else. I will be quite disappointed if we don’t fill the starting PG role through the portal. 

• Like 3