SiouxSports.com Forum

The Portal - Basketball Edition

sioux24/7

Just now, UND1983 said:

Thanks for your concern.  I don’t know anything about him.  Other than when it’s brought up by the disgruntled crew about how good he is now or how Sather kicked him off the team for having a child to take care of.  

There is some real angst among these posters about Sather.  Weird.  

That is strange and odd behavior from some... hmmmmmm

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Never said he was "unsuccessful" 

I guess if averaging 4.4 ppg makes him happy then I'm glad he found his goal for college hoops.

I could see how he could be happy with that role. Go to a team that has won the national championship and been a #1 seed multiple times in the last 5ish years (although the 1 seed didnt work out against UMBC lol). Everyone needs to have a role on a winning team and can’t average 10+ points. If he is happy with a lesser role in order to try and win I can respect that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, McBuckets said:

I could see how he could be happy with that role. Go to a team that has won the national championship and been a #1 seed multiple times in the last 5ish years (although the 1 seed didnt work out against UMBC lol). Everyone needs to have a role on a winning team and can’t average 10+ points. If he is happy with a lesser role in order to try and win I can respect that.

Fair enough, you guys like player freedom and social media hype in recruiting, I like loyalty and miss that aspect of college sports. Unfortunately, loyalty is dead in college athletics, which makes the product less entertaining.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

You keep trying to throw this narrative out that there is some "angst" or some "prior issues". You couldn't be further from the truth.

Some people just don't think he is a good coach at the D1 level. I would say that is backed by many logical and legitimate reasons that have been pointed out in this forum, but also proven by his win % in 5 years at UND.........39%. It has nothing to do with Sather specifically. Some people just want to watch UND win games at a higher clip than 39%. It is really that simple pal. 

Ok pal

8 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Fair enough, you guys like player freedom and social media hype in recruiting, I like loyalty and miss that aspect of college sports. Unfortunately, loyalty is dead in college athletics, which makes the product less entertaining.

I do like player freedom to an extent, the loyalty part is tough. Wish you could see top guys staying all 4 years at programs but that just isn’t the case anymore with NIL and players being more like to jump ship versus stick it out somewhere. At the end of the day doesn’t matter what we all think because college athletics is evolving. Hopefully it can evolve for the better but right now we’ll just have to wait and see but as an athletic program I hope UND doesn’t fall behind and is able to put successful teams on the court. This year was a great start now need to build off of it, figure out what to do with BJ leaving and get ready for a big summer.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Flip left because UND did not offer the grad school major he needed, easier to ask a little tougher questions when the reason for leaving is money. Agreed it's his life, his choice and we can assume conversations were probably already happening before the season was over. 

Actually, UND did have the MBA program that he was pursuing, it’s just that it was offered as a remote online program.  However, within the rules of an International Student Visa, is that said student must be in X amount of actual classroom time.  So, in addition to him wanting to challenge himself at a different level, Iowa’s MBA program also offered in class time.  UND has since made alterations since this circumstance came up, although rare.  
Just a quick clarification on it- either way in the end he still ended up at Iowa, and did quite well.  I was happy for him

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

You keep trying to throw this narrative out that there is some "angst" or some "prior issues". You couldn't be further from the truth.

Some people just don't think he is a good coach at the D1 level. I would say that is backed by many logical and legitimate reasons that have been pointed out in this forum, but also proven by his win % in 5 years at UND.........39%. It has nothing to do with Sather specifically. Some people just want to watch UND win games at a higher clip than 39%. It is really that simple pal. 

You need to take the 10 or so non D1 wins out of there. Unfortunately, I think it’s around 35%

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Sad, sad day for UND men’s basketball. We will miss you Eli! 

Agreed, I was looking forward to an expanded role next year.  Best of luck in the future young man. 

• Upvote 1