SiouxSports.com Forum

The Portal - Basketball Edition

sioux24/7

I see we offered Moni.  I know it's several years later but I did wonder why neither school offered him out of high school.  It was clear he had talent but needed some development is all - the frame was there.  After seeing some the crap they have brought in over the years it wouldn't have been outrageous.  

15 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

Love the Moni offer, I think he could be a really nice player in the summit. And he would be an actual stretch big unlike T

I’m so high on Moni. Wonder what other offers he’ll get 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I’m so high on Moni. Wonder what other offers he’ll get 

NDSU has offered him too.  For what it is worth, yes, Richman is hard to play for. But the ones in the portal so far I am okay with. Skunberg had a good run but his time was up. Morgan can go. To be completely honest it was a 50/50 option if it would be a bucket or a turnover every time they forced it into him. He will not be a major contributor at a P5 school if he gets a big NIL offer like is speculated. If Federson, White or Wheeler-Thomas go, I will be more upset. 

5 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Go look at the bison forum and see what they think of Richman. 

It's common in any program to hate any coach that can't produce post season wins.   It's the same story all across the country.

17 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

It's common in any program to hate any coach that can't produce post season wins.   It's the same story all across the country.

Difference is Richman has had success in the SLT. People do not like his personality, coaching style, and philosophy on the regular season

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If SDSU has Zeke Mayo and William Kyle III transfer which there have been talk of pretty much drains the Summit of their talent since the Summit League tournament. The only schools left returning bulk of players for next season would be KC and South Dakota. SDSU would be left with 3 players they had coming off the bench and young group of redshirt freshmen and whoever they recruited coming in. NDSU will have Jacari White, Wheeler Thomas, and Fedderson returning but big whole to fill out remaining spots in line up and reserve rolls for the team. UND is similar in King, Eaglestaff, and Kuljuhovic but needing people to fill out the roster and supporting roles. Omaha will be building almost from scratch with the portal hits they have had. St. Thomas lost through graduation and still building for when they can play for tournament trip. Denver has several pieces coming back, but they will need to find talent to compete. I don't see how conferences like Summit become relevant in post season play way portal is structured and amount P-5 schools can generate for NIL money to acquire players and stockpile talent every year. The mid majors would be better off getting multiple entries into NIT and let P-5 schools playing in the NCAA tournament that are in NIT tournament. Gone are the days when Mid Major could recruit build a team that could make run for couple years in the NCAA tournament. The talent is not going to be here at this level long enough to win anything, but it would be NIT tournament.

• Upvote 2

Mid major fans need to calm down about the portal. Always complaining about the talent they lose, but never acknowledge the talent acquired because of the portal. The portal works both ways. Good coaches figure it out, bad coaches make a million excuses on why they can’t 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Mid major fans need to calm down about the portal. Always complaining about the talent they lose, but never acknowledge the talent acquired because of the portal. The portal works both ways. Good coaches figure it out, bad coaches make a million excuses on why they can’t 

All so that acquired talent can leave the following year.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, homer said:

All so that acquired talent can leave the following year.  

And then guess what good coaches do….. they acquire good talent out of the portal again. Or they find a way to retain their players.

It’s not a very hard concept to understand. Sure it may suck for fans to see some players leave, but like @GoodGood said, good coaches figure it out and not good coaches make excuses.

• Upvote 2

I’ve gone 360 degrees on this.  At first, as a fan, I absolutely hated it.  Hard to become invested/interested in a team that completely turns over every year and any time there is a glimmer of hope it leaves.  But then I realized, college sports doesn’t exist for the fans it should be doing what is best for the players.  If a player didn’t get opportunity early but through hard work opens up new opportunities they should be allowed to do what is best for them.  But now, with all these multiple transfers I’m back to wondering who this is good for?  You can’t tell me you are getting a good education if you play for 3 different schools over 4 years?  $100,000 NIL sounds amazing to a kid but in the grand scheme of life it’s absolutely nothing especially if it leaves you without an education and/or a plan for life.

30 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

And then guess what good coaches do….. they acquire good talent out of the portal again. Or they find a way to retain their players.

It’s not a very hard concept to understand. Sure it may suck for fans to see some players leave, but like @GoodGood said, good coaches figure it out and not good coaches make excuses.

Great argument.  

Tell me more about dropping your season tickets for football.   When things suck for fans they stop going to games costing the schools money.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, homer said:

Great argument.  

Tell me more about dropping your season tickets for football.   When things suck for fans they stop going to games costing the schools money.  

Yep, and it says a message to that administration how we don’t tolerate below meteor Arity