SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ CC -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

54 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

After sleeping on it in no particular order here the the Dman that I thought played well last night for UND............................

You could say that for the entire group honestly.  Can't remember which d man watched the Wisdom kid skate in and get two shots in on Hedquist and score his 4th when it was 5 or 6 to 1, but that shouldn't happen if it's 20-1.

Haven't read any comments from Bubbs, but I would hope the film session today is a good lesson on how not to play in your own end.

I think the toughest job will be to flush away a 7-1 thumping.  And CC is going for blood tonight. 

5 hours ago, Scratch said:

I'm with Big A HG. Let's say we end up a top 2 seed at the tournament. Win the Atlantic/CCHA bye, then lose to the first real team and miss the frozen four in our backyard (for the 7th straight year). Will that be enough for anyone here to denounce Berry yet? The only thing I think Berrys proponents can point to is league championships, in an 8 team league where there are only 3 contenders year to year. WCHA there were 6. Does anyone hold a Penrose akin to a MacNaughton?

I have no insight to UND's NIL situation, so I don't know if Berry has any responsibility for its complete absence, can anyone enlighten me why we are doing nothing to compete with Bostons/Michigan/Minnesota? The next two years are the supposed upswing for Berry's recruiting--look at any of those school's recruits for the same time. It's "maybe our guys sneak into the first round" vs their guys "will they be 1st or 3rd overall."

Our facilities are really nice (the best) and our tradition/fans base is awesome. But the fact is….recruiting to GF is a lot harder than it used to be. We also have some really nice recruits coming in. Some of the big 10 teams and def those Boston teams are just pulling in so many blue chips. It’ll be interesting how things evolve over the next 5-10.

Hedquist should get the start tonight and some lines better be jumbled. A message needs to be sent that nights like last night (and like Friday in Oxford, for that matter) are unacceptable. The way we have lines set up, johannes or not, is not the answer for this team. Our 4th line was the only line that created 5x5 chances last night. But then again CC had a response for everything we tried 

Hot take. They were going to lose at some point, might as well get embarrassed. Cause a complete reset of their mentality.

I would also like to see some different line combos. What we’ll see though is 13 & 5 switch. No other changes. 

It is what it is at this point, but it’s so crazy that not only is 8 not 4C, but that you put him with 18. How is 18 supposed to flourish playing w/ someone that has no offensive ability. 

9 hours ago, tnt said:

Didn’t get to play with one of our best teams, outplayed both BU and Duluth in regional games, so in a one and done it is sometimes a crapshoot.  Ask Minnesota with guys like Nies, Cooley, Snuggerud, Faber, LaCombe and Johnson.  That said, they need to realize that in those situations they absolutely can’t get behind the eight ball and think that they will win in the end, as we’ve seen teams hanging around are dangerous.  Sometimes though, you can’t control how your goalie or the other goalie plays, and that could be the difference.  Need four games where your goalie and special teams are clicking.  

I don’t get the Minnesota comparison?

They’ve won 5 NCAA games the last 2 seasons; those players got their team to overtime of the national championship last season. 

North Dakota, on the other hand, in the last 7 seasons, has only beat AIC in the national tournament. That’s it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Benny Baker said:

I don’t get the Minnesota comparison?

They’ve won 5 NCAA games the last 2 seasons; those players got their team to overtime of the national championship last season. 

North Dakota, on the other hand, in the last 7 seasons, has only beat AIC in the national tournament. That’s it. 

I would argue that the win against AIC wasn't very impressive either.

This team needs 13 / 28 back and healthy. Great team guys, but 5 imo is the clear cut 14th guy. 11 is the clear cut 13th guy. With the 3rd line constructed as is, when 5 & 11 are both playing, it turns this team into a two-line team.

Need the 4th line back to 29/21/13

5 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I wasn't able to watch or listen, but looking at the stats the 20% PK is what's most worrisome. Any insight (preferably from someone not suffering an existential crisis after a single loss)?

I’m only paraphrasing Bubs in his postgame when asked about the PK but basically he said CC was allowed to snap pucks all over the ice, UND wasn’t getting sticks in lanes, weren’t pressuring the puck carrier, etc. 

To me, UND looked tentative on the penalty kill. Almost scared as if we respected CC’s powerplay unit too much. 

11 hours ago, 1972 said:

Pyke is gone for spearing

I think they missed a spear on the call. I thought Pyke cup checked the Tigers player right in front of the net. The Tigers player did embellish a bit. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Hot take. They were going to lose at some point, might as well get embarrassed. Cause a complete reset of their mentality.

I would also like to see some different line combos. What we’ll see though is 13 & 5 switch. No other changes. 

It is what it is at this point, but it’s so crazy that not only is 8 not 4C, but that you put him with 18. How is 18 supposed to flourish playing w/ someone that has no offensive ability. 

Changing up the lines is 50/50 chance of success or more missed and blind passes to opposing team. I would like to see a solid heavy line against their best. Throw Gaber and Blake together, I think it would increase the opportunity for them to score. MY 2 cents….

11 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Changing up the lines is 50/50 chance of success or more missed and blind passes to opposing team. I would like to see a solid heavy line against their best. Throw Gaber and Blake together, I think it would increase the opportunity for them to score. MY 2 cents….

When I talk switching lines, it’s code for, move Schmaltz to 4C. I’m a broken record with it, because I’m convinced he handicaps the 3rd line (Perron in particular). 

Since it wont happen, really relying on 13 being a full go. I’m going to go against my normal instinct and hope 32 is back in net.

Big one to tonight! Need to win.

• Upvote 1

Looked back at the championship season.  The worst showing was on the road at Denver in February, 4-6 and 1-4 losses and swept.  

Every team stumbles, but yesterday was particularly disappointing, given that they should have been motivated by two OT losses at home.  These guys looked like world beaters vs. DU, but that seems like ancient history now.  

Expect more of the same tonight, but hope to be proven wrong.  Oh, and please BURN the black jerseys after whatever that was.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I wasn't able to watch or listen, but looking at the stats the 20% PK is what's most worrisome. Any insight (preferably from someone not suffering an existential crisis after a single loss)?

Penalty kill is all about effort. Berry himself said a lot of guys were lacking that. This team was scary good at home against Denver. Team mentality.