SiouxSports.com Forum

Sacramento State @ UND 11/25/23 Playoff

SiouxFan100

Just dropping by to say good game. I thought we had a chance if the coaches went with Bennett over Conklin, but I didn’t expect KB to be as unstoppable as he was. He’s been banged up this season so wasn’t sure if he was back to 100%.

Also thought you guys had all the mo by going ground and pound in the 3rd quarter and totally taking over the complexion of the game. Mind boggling why you guys went away from that, it’s like there was a switch that was turned on at halftime and then off at the end of the 3rd quarter. 

Best of luck moving forward, I wouldn’t be so down on your squad. IMO, you guys have a talented bunch, specifically on offense, to continue to build around and be successful. I’m not going to pretend to know all the ins and outs of the MVFC but it’s apparent that you guys are competitive and seem to be just a half step behind those not named SDSU. A couple key additions here and there and you could be knocking off those top teams.

BTW I feel for this guy below. That was the typical feeling/facial expression of Hornets fans pre-2019.

image.jpeg.96070962508195704ed39f03ea259c5f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, wheelsup said:

So having been at the game today...

• The defense was to blame and anyone who tries to say anything else didnt even watch the game.  One of the worst defensive showings I have ever seen by a UND Defense.  Im old enough to remember when we were good at defense (thought bubba was a defensive coach).  35 pts should be enough to win.
  • That being said.. If Danny would have just called running plays we would have won the game.. Defense stiffened in the 3rd quarter and I thought we might pull it off.  Danny overcomplicated the gameplan and didnt play to our teams obvious strengths.  Tommy regressed this year but Danny could have hidden all of that with just having him turn around and hand the ball off.  Even our last series.. plenty of time to run the ball.. Tommy did not look good.. gavin.. skokna.. Isaiah.. were carrying the squad.
  • Time to be done with Tommy.. His shortcomings are obvious and while his is the statistical leader in pretty much every category due to his longevity in the program its time to try something else.
  • As I said earlier.. Im not sold on Danny being the answer as a HC.. I believe if he had adapted to our teams strengths this year we would have won this game and the South Dakota game at a minimum.
  • The crowd was also not the problem to day.. entirely predictable.. but also the people that showed up were into the game and loud.  Which says alot considering the defense was about as strong as a wet paper bag.  Until the 3rd quarter we could have left the defense off the field and had the same impact..
  • Also I know it didnt matter but I hated the punt in the 4th quarter.. with the defense playing like a wet paper bag it was reasonably obvious we would never get the ball back.  If Danny hadnt called two crap pass plays and if Tommy hadnt taken two crap sacks in a row.. maybe a 4th down would havent been 4th and forever..  cmon man!  

Im sick of this team and investing my time and money into it.  Even with our obvious deficiencies I still thought we would pull it out today.

My rule of thumb is if you score 30 points (barring exceptions, of which several exist) you can't blame the offense.

Didn't watch the game. Felt bad for you guys. Always next year I guess.

• Upvote 3

Yo Yo iit’s Mexico.  

We are only like 5 of the 180 FCS teams to make the playoffs 4/5 last years or whatever that stat is.

Let’s remember without Bubba and Danny, we could and probably would be much, much worse.

Would that be fun?  Nope. This team gives us more than something to cheer for every year.

We don’t pay our head coach 350k plus and our assistans 150 k plus like NDSMoo and SDSMoo.  Those are top, top programs.  We are a top program.  More than 5 people need to get their checkbooks out like the Moos.

Sadly at UND, those numbers plus go to hockey.  Ever seen what our basketball assistants get paid?  Pathetic.

To most of the haters on here, take a look at the posts, your spelling aint so good.

As Dabo Sweeney at Clemson recently said to a critic, “You are welcome to apply”.  Good luck.

I am also guessing recruiting to the frozen tundra also aint so easy.  I remember walkiing to class and had blurry vision.  Everytihing was damn frozen and it took me half the class to figure out one of my lenses had fallen out.

Get your checkbooks out and support the team and coaches.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Yo Yo iit’s Mexico.  

We are only like 5 of the 180 FCS teams to make the playoffs 4/5 last years or whatever that stat is.

Let’s remember without Bubba and Danny, we could and probably would be much, much worse.

Would that be fun?  Nope. This team gives us more than something to cheer for every year.

We don’t pay our head coach 350k plus and our assistans 150 k plus like NDSMoo and SDSMoo.  Those are top, top programs.  We are a top program.  More than 5 people need to get their checkbooks out like the Moos.

Sadly at UND, those numbers plus go to hockey.  Ever seen what our basketball assistants get paid?  Pathetic.

To most of the haters on here, take a look at the posts, your spelling aint so good.

As Dabo Sweeney at Clemson recently said to a critic, “You are welcome to apply”.  Good luck.

I am also guessing recruiting to the frozen tundra also aint so easy.  I remember walkiing to class and had blurry vision.  Everytihing was damn frozen and it took me half the class to figure out one of my lenses had fallen out.

Get your checkbooks out and support the team and coaches.  

Ok Mexico. Your post is filled with assumption and supports the status quo, which should not be acceptable. It all starts with expectations, which I agree at UND is larger with hockey, unfortunately. That can change and evolve, though.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, tnt said:

The thing that bothers me is that Bubba thinks the fans comments about running the ball at midfield with a chance to take the lead were hindsight.  Most everyone on this board and the announcer himself were adamant that they needed to stick with something that was working so well for them.  Sometimes I think Bubba is delusional wondering about fans concerns about some of the very strange calls and plays they make with odd two point conversions and just general play calling.  When you know as an offense you can’t get behind the chains, because of how limited they are, you better get some yards, and at the very least get rid of the ball fast. If this is a one off situation it is one thing, but you learned nothing from the South Dakota loss.

it’s painfully evident we are at Bubbas ceiling.  7 wins and a first round exit.  

We can talk about recruiting better players, but our players were good enough to win that game yesterday, they were good enough to beat USD and you can go back over the years and find lots of games we just flat ass gave away.

For whatever reason Danny feels the need to make the offense more complicated than it needs to be.  Especially a tendency to go away from the run when it is working and/or to call trick plays when they are not needed.  If one looks back, it’s a pattern over his tenure.

My money is that our season will be over before December next year and for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ok Mexico. Your post is filled with assumption and supports the status quo, which should not be acceptable. It all starts with expectations, which I agree at UND is larger with hockey, unfortunately. That can change and evolve, though.

How is that unfortunate?  Sorry, it'll always be hockey just not women's hockey.  :D

7 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

I sure many of us would like to see the team go a different direction without Bubba and possibly Danny. His offense lack imagination, it's predictable and listless. 

20 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

10 years of bubba ball=

5-7 no playoffs 

7-4 no playoffs -1 win vs playoff team

9-3 no playoff wins- 2 wins  vs playoff teams 

3-8 No playoffs 

6-5 No playoffs 

7-5 no playoff wins- 1 win vs playoff team

5-2  1 playoff win-2 wins vs playoff teams * this is the asterisk year due to covid*
5-6.  No playoffs 

7-5. No playoff wins- no wins vs playoff teams 

7-5 no playoff wins-  2 wins over playoff teams 

The stats above is as mediocre as a coach can be.  10 years of mostly uninspired football needs to be dealt win. If und had any balls they would rid his last year of the contract.  So sick of hearing “Und doesn’t have the money to do it”.  When fans don’t show up and support because of the &@&# show is that making any money ?  Who wants to watch this crap ?  They need a winner for a coach!   Bubba is one of the worst in game adjusters in the game.  He lacks killer instinct, loses all knowledge and doesn’t exert any confidence during game time.  Players follow their leaders way.  Is it coincidence or just luck that unds best win and most inspired game came this year when Lennon talked to the players before the game ?  Bubba can’t energize.  Lennon is not perfect but he gets his players ready.   His “ I need mommy” look on his face says it all.  

This years defense was an absolute embarrassment! 

Tommy is a below average fcs qb. Bubba and Danny see otherwise.  Need a change but that just never happened 

The coaching flaws were at full speed yesterday.  Why did Danny think that he needed to pass the ball in the second half !?!?   Run the damn ball and burn the clock.  Keep their offense off the field!  

The lack of overall athleticism is shown against playoff teams.  There is a reason why so many of unds recruits aren’t being recruited by other fcs teams. But there is some talent on the team and guys that love to play.  Ndsu was proof of that when they have the right motivation.  They are just being sucked into mediocrity that bubba instills.  Feel bad for them.  Some have said und can’t recruit here because it’s too cold or too far north l?  Ummm  Ndsu and sdsu 

Also.  Taking away the catwalk was the worst call alerus center has done. They moved the hard core fans away.  

Just another frustrating season we are used to seeing under bubba.  If und can’t make the change expect another 6 win season next year.  Fan attendance/interest will most likely fall as well. 

Very well said.  Go back through each of those seasons, and in each season(especially the last half of the resume)there are several games that were just pissed away strictly due to coaching deficiencies, including yesterday's game.  So much of football is motivation, confidence, adjustment and momentum.  Those 4 qualities are Bubba's largest deficits.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Unfortunate because there’s a lot - and I mean a lot - of UND students, alumni, and fans who want to support football and basketball rather than just hockey yet UND athletics blatantly ignores them. How do they ignore them? By not bolstering these programs with championship expectations. The expectations currently are basically “participation award” label. Coaching extensions after a losing season (Bubba extended after going 5-6 in 2021?) … c’mon! The reality is simple; football and basketball are more popular in this country than hockey. It’s fine that UND emphasizes hockey to differentiate itself and honor tradition, but ignoring the opportunities that DI football and basketball present is irresponsible.

100%.  UND hockey is awesome, but for the health of the university, hockey is a non-starter outside of the red river valley, MN and Canada.  Nobody cares.  Go anywhere else in the US and mention a university in ND and 99% are going to mention the U to the south and that is for one reason.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

All you need to know is that Bubba is a defensive coordinator most of his career and the defense showed up like that for a home playoff game. How many years has he produced a defense that could produce ulcers in the fan base? 6 or 7 of 10 years?

Probably gives us an idea of how good some of his past defenses could have been.

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

10 years of bubba ball=

5-7 no playoffs 

7-4 no playoffs -1 win vs playoff team

9-3 no playoff wins- 2 wins  vs playoff teams 

3-8 No playoffs 

6-5 No playoffs 

7-5 no playoff wins- 1 win vs playoff team

5-2  1 playoff win-2 wins vs playoff teams * this is the asterisk year due to covid*
5-6.  No playoffs 

7-5. No playoff wins- no wins vs playoff teams 

7-5 no playoff wins-  2 wins over playoff teams 

The stats above is as mediocre as a coach can be.  10 years of mostly uninspired football needs to be dealt win. If und had any balls they would rid his last year of the contract.  So sick of hearing “Und doesn’t have the money to do it”.  When fans don’t show up and support because of the &@&# show is that making any money ?  Who wants to watch this crap ?  They need a winner for a coach!   Bubba is one of the worst in game adjusters in the game.  He lacks killer instinct, loses all knowledge and doesn’t exert any confidence during game time.  Players follow their leaders way.  Is it coincidence or just luck that unds best win and most inspired game came this year when Lennon talked to the players before the game ?  Bubba can’t energize.  Lennon is not perfect but he gets his players ready.   

This years defense was an absolute embarrassment! 

Tommy is a below average fcs qb. Bubba and Danny see otherwise.  Need a change but that just never happened 

The coaching flaws were at full speed yesterday.  Why did Danny think that he needed to pass the ball in the second half !?!?   Run the damn ball and burn the clock.  Keep their offense off the field!  

The lack of overall athleticism is shown against playoff teams.  There is a reason why so many of unds recruits aren’t being recruited by other fcs teams. But there is some talent on the team and guys that love to play.  Ndsu was proof of that when they have the right motivation.  They are just being sucked into mediocrity that bubba instills.  Feel bad for them.  Some have said und can’t recruit here because it’s too cold or too far north l?  Ummm  Ndsu and sdsu 

Also.  Taking away the catwalk was the worst call alerus center has done. They moved the hard core fans away.  

Just another frustrating season we are used to seeing under bubba.  If und can’t make the change expect another 6 win season next year.  Fan attendance/interest will most likely fall as well. 

check out a bball game at the betty.......bring your binoculars!!!!!!!! genius moves by genius people

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Unfortunate because there’s a lot - and I mean a lot - of UND students, alumni, and fans who want to support football and basketball rather than just hockey yet UND athletics blatantly ignores them. How do they ignore them? By not bolstering these programs with championship expectations. The expectations currently are basically “participation award” level. Coaching extensions after a losing season (Bubba extended after going 5-6 in 2021?) … c’mon! Promoting staff members to coordinator positions they don’t deserve … c’mon! No outside influence, just “inbreeding”. The reality is simple; football and basketball are more popular in this country than hockey. It’s fine that UND emphasizes hockey to differentiate itself and honor tradition, but ignoring the opportunities that DI football and basketball present is irresponsible.

Are you angry?