SiouxSports.com Forum

Sacramento State @ UND 11/25/23 Playoff

SiouxFan100

Not sure how we match up with our D with their O. Offense will need scores in the first half and keep it going 2nd half. Need to run the ball well and keep their offense off the field. When teams have long drives against, it takes longer for us to get into offensive rhythm. We need to do that to them. 

We joined the Valley so we can be bullies in the trenches when we go out of conference. I’m hoping for the Hogs to do this, this Saturday.

• Upvote 2

Much improved overall defensively this year, with two major issues. (1) Getting to the QB when they bring pressure (2) 3rd / 4th and longs. The first one will not change against Sac State, but the second point could. Offensively, inside run to open up the passing game. They cannot get behind on down and distance. Very little confidence in them moving the chains on a third and long.

Excited for this one. Important game for this program.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, shep said:

Rewatched the game on Midco.

I don't see things well when I'm at the game.

Example: Buckner had a nice game and the D did much better tackling.  Still can't watch when it's 3rd and 20+.

Z was down a couple of times but gutted it out to make the final TD.

Tommy did a lot of nice things in that game. The TD to Gunderson (a TE!) took a calm mind and a deft touch. Thought O should have made that diving catch on the final drive. 

ST's have been strong lately and I think Navratil (was it him) needed to head to the sidelines and may have run back that blocked extra point.

Lets fill the place on Saturday.

If he headed to sidelines he probably would have been able to pitch it or hand it to Seigel

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AJS said:

Much improved overall defensively this year, with two major issues. (1) Getting to the QB when they bring pressure (2) 3rd / 4th and longs. The first one will not change against Sac State, but the second point could. Offensively, inside run to open up the passing game. They cannot get behind on down and distance. Very little confidence in them moving the chains on a third and long.

Excited for this one. Important game for this program.

I think the D-line has been stout this year.. malechi mcneal and buckner have been making some nice plays.  

My tactic on 3rd or 4th and long is now just to close my eyes and pray.  seems like roughly what our secondary is doing.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

I think on those third and longs we don't need to be blitzing 7-8 guys nearly every time. 

Completely agree. It's completely wasted since nobody can beat an O-lineman (besides McNaboe) one on one. No point to bring 6 when bringing 5 would be just as effective (potentially pressure the QB, since they won't be able to get to him anyways). Please play Rucker more. He's a really bright spot on what is without a doubt the worst positional group on the team. 

Edit: So, what's the play? Bring 4, drop 2 LB's almost QB type of spy. Also help cover short routes. That would help with any type of QB scramble.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Completely agree. It's completely wasted since nobody can beat an O-lineman (besides McNaboe) one on one. No point to bring 6 when bringing 5 would be just as effective (potentially pressure the QB, since they won't be able to get to him anyways). Please play Rucker more. He's a really bright spot on what is without a doubt the worst positional group on the team. 

Edit: So, what's the play? Bring 4, drop 2 LB's almost QB type of spy. Also help cover short routes. That would help with any type of QB scramble.

I like the idea of a QB spy.  But, I also think we need to bring 5-6 on every third and long.  I know that we haven't gotten to the QB near often enough in these situations, but I also know that we can't let the QB sit there and pick us apart.  As someone suggested, maybe we need to do a better job of disguising our blitzes, and I'd like to think that we'll improve and do a better job of getting to the QB.  There have been a lot of instances where we've gotten to the QB a half a second too late.

57 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’ll play devils advocate. Huge walk up crowd with tons of extra people in town for Thanksgiving who don’t normally have the chance to see a UND football game.

Also, tickets have only been on sale for a couple of days. Lots of time for people to buy them up. Hope you're right with the walk up crowd as well!