SiouxSports.com Forum

Indiana State @ UND 10/28/2023

SiouxFan100

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

How much of the offensive issues are solved if Danny gets out of his own way? That was a terribly called game. Defensively, the concern continues to be their inability to actually get to the QB when they bring pressure.

Phenomenal last drive / ot performance! Here’s to that being the spark and we see a rejuvenated team the rest of the year!

Offensively we seem to play better when we play with tempo vs huddling and substituting between every play.   Maybe something to consider.  I know it to shorten the game a bit but if we can’t score, we aren’t consistently good enough defensively to win a low scoring game.  

Defense created some turnovers yesterday but agreed, need to get home on pressure.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AJS said:

That was a terribly called game.

IIRC, I think we called TO before a 3rd down play and then proceeded to simply hand it off to Smith for no gain and I screamed “THAT was your play call??!!”  Could’ve iced the game right there. 

• Upvote 1

For the first 3.5 quarters the game was played like a nice guy friend trying to not beat up and show up a lesser. Then the lesser punched. Luckily the nice guy had time and ability to recover.

I don’t ever want to think of my football coach as ever being a nice guy to an opponent. 

26 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

For the first 3.5 quarters the game was played like a nice guy friend trying to not beat up and show up a lesser. Then the lesser punched. Luckily the nice guy had time and ability to recover.

I don’t ever want to think of my football coach as ever being a nice guy to an opponent. 

But Bubba is a nice guy

• Downvote 1

The one thing I can think of about why the play calling was so vanilla is that we were trying to beat them with our vanilla stuff without breaking into our better stuff??  It almost worked except the defense fell apart at the end of the 4th quarter. When it was 21-10, I thought, “our offense did just barely enough, but defense has held them to 10, so that’s nice.”  Then all hell broke loose. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

How much of the offensive issues are solved if Danny gets out of his own way? That was a terribly called game. Defensively, the concern continues to be their inability to actually get to the QB when they bring pressure.

Phenomenal last drive / ot performance! Here’s to that being the spark and we see a rejuvenated team the rest of the year!

There was 3 times on 3rd and long he went bubble or some sort of screen. One of them was a 3rd and 9… That makes it seem he doesn’t think Tommy can get it done on 3rd and long? Or it was in their game plan and he was too stubborn to go away from it once there were obviously taking it away?

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Except we know that’s not happening for financial reasons, get out your check book! Otherwise it isn’t happening unless Bubba resigns!

What about a five year contract extension? I bet that is being worked on as we speak.

I would chip in a couple hundred dollars towards a buyout. If enough fans were to do the same, it might inspire more stakeholders to step up. That would put pressure on Chaves to at least think about the future of the FB program and whether milktoast 7-4 seasons are good enough for the Flagship U.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What about a five year contract extension? I bet that is being worked on as we speak.

I would chip in a couple hundred dollars towards a buyout. If enough fans were to do the same, it might inspire more stakeholders to step up. That would put pressure on Chaves to at least think about the future of the FB program and whether milktoast 7-4 seasons are good enough for the Flagship U.

The reason pounds are in chipping in the speaker Chaves keeps doing lame extensions that cost us more money. Look at his budget in eastern Washington from

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Oh, we’re back to this again…sigh

I would question why on 3rd and 7 we have to throw the ball 3 yards to a receiver or back and have them pick up the rest of the yards for a first down. Are those just terrible play calls or necessary? I would have hoped we could have a receiver run a 10 yard out pattern and then come back to the sticks as our QB rifles a ball to him.

10 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I would question why on 3rd and 7 we have to throw the ball 3 yards to a receiver or back and have them pick up the rest of the yards for a first down. Are those just terrible play calls or necessary? I would have hoped we could have a receiver run a 10 yard out pattern and then come back to the sticks as our QB rifles a ball to him.

I’ve wondered this as well. Looks like there is a lot of times that Tommy is locked in on somebody short of the sticks, so I’m guessing it’s a combination of play calling and decision making. He made some good throws down field yesterday so we know he is capable of it.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I’m perplexed by the short yardage throws as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

I’m perplexed by the short yardage throws as well. 

Agree, they are pretty predictable at this point.  Although on the one late in the game when we were at about mid field and it was 3rd and long ...we threw one of those.....in my mind I was thinking they thought if we got close to the first down we would go for it because we're on their side of the field. But we came up like 4 yards short and punted anyway. 

29 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

https://t.co/oPN7CQt0Tl

So some archaic chart told him to go for 2? 

How are 20 year old charts so different from the standard today.  Did he draw from an old chart on the 4th down at our own 30 against the Bison years ago, and the punt against NAU to make the playoffs?  Some head scratchers to be sure.