SiouxSports.com Forum

Indiana State @ UND 10/28/2023

SiouxFan100

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Your friend should call Tyler Wells. He should have all the data. 

I just have a video clip of Tommy dropping a dime ( (c) Trent Dilfer) on BB. 

Didn't really answer the question, but thanks for at least providing an email for me!

I'm still waiting on @jdub27 to provide me with an email to ask what happened against UNI. He still never provided that for me even though he is the world renowned email guy

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Upon further review, the throw to BB left Tommy's hand at the 28, exactly between the hashes. It was caught at the sideline, five yards into the endzone. Mr. Pythagorus says that's a 42 yard toss into a bucket by a "noodle arm". 

How long did it take to get there?

39 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

So Im not a QB expert but I think Tommy had a mix of good and bad throws and calling him a noodle arm is just poor in my book.

• First long pass to BB first quarter I think.. As I recall it was a bit underthrown or Bo would have run into the endzone.. Drive ended with that stupid fake FG.  I think he also hit skokna in the hands on this drive in the endzone but I dont remember.
  • 20 yd TD pass to Belqust in Q3.. I remember that being a very nice throw.
  • on the game tying drive.. I think he had a super nice pass right into JW hands that was dropped.. He had a nice throw to Klein and scrambled like a boss
  • OT TD to Q was a thing of beauty.. 

You gotta give Tommy some credit.  He played very poorly against UNI and for prob 2.75 Quarters on Saturday.. but he also threw for 273 yds and 4 TD and many of those yds and TD's are when it mattered.

By the way.. you can still keep me on the list of people that really wanted to see a significant amount of Feeney last Saturday, but as least some of that fault for the game has to go to the O-line which needs to find its way back to the NDSU game and the play calling which has been substantially not awesome.

I agree with pretty much most of this. While I definitely would have liked to seen Feeney in the UNI game, while Tommy does have some limitations/short comings or whatever you want to call it......he isn't the sole reason for the crappy last two weeks. Main reason is the OL and not being able to run the ball. Don't think I've heard OL coach called out once, but we blame Danny. Which Danny does have to take a large brunt of it. Against UNI Red dropped a pass in end zone. On Saturday on our drive to kick tying FG Tommy rolled to his right and threw a perfect ball 15-20 yards down field on the money to Dennis who was running across the field. Ball was pinpoint exactly where you would want it to be and Dennis dropped it. Fortunately Tommy made a long scramble to pick up about 25 yards after that dropped pass.  The long pass to Bo early on the game was definitely underthrown, however a defender was running full steam straight towards Tommy and he couldn't really step into it. Who knows he might have still under thrown it. 

Late in the game we had first and goal at the 3 yard line. I think we were all like..... don't get cute Danny just run it in. We handed off to Skokna for 0 yards, might have lost half a yard. Not going to lie, after seeing that I was like crap..... I'm not sure if we can even run it in from here. So Danny did get 'cute" on the next play and it worked and went for a TD. 

Bottom line is the OL needs to better for us to be a better team. It seemed so easy against NDSU. Danny might have to stick with it more, however when we get stuffed for zero yards on a handful of plays.....it's easy to abandon that. 

Being more wide open in the passing attack may help that though, we need to not be afraid to throw an interception. Honestly I think our offense is best when there are like 2-3 minutes left in second quarter or game.....we've seen to have a lot of quick drives the end of a half or game the past 2 years. Sure part of that is teams don't want to let a deep one by them, but I think part of it is is being more aggressive and taking some chances. 

Would like to see Klein in more and get more opportunities. 

28 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Tommy lighting up Indiana State was the most predictable thing ever. He kills bad teams. Now would like to see him do it against a school that knows it has a football team 

I was going to ask if you saw the NDSU game so I looked up the stats.  Tommy did fine, but wow!  I didn't realize we were that heavy on the run game vs them. 

image.png.3215ab28374a33f2e55ee82696aa490d.png

We were moving the ball well on the ground vs Boise.  Would have loved to see how that game played out had we committed to it.  

This is the first drive of the second half vs SDSU.  Just run the ball....

image.thumb.png.01ad21c244c7a334de09c90f6b95c7da.png

VS SDSU Ziebarth Skonka and Smith had only 13 carries combined!!!!   image.png.f9636f066b665b69ee063c406b3c4f5c.png

We supplement it (the run) with short passes May times. However, if run is working let’s grind out a win.  Last game I could see why we used it (banged up backfield), however the oline at times struggled to get push last week. ISU Blue players and staff I think knew if we cannot run, we will use the bubbles/tunnels to make up for lack of run. The hogs need to get the run game going so we can get some play action passes. As others posted, if we can run our offense seems more comfortable and in rhythm.

7 hours ago, UND Football Fan said:

We supplement it (the run) with short passes May times. However, if run is working let’s grind out a win.  Last game I could see why we used it (banged up backfield), however the oline at times struggled to get push last week. ISU Blue players and staff I think knew if we cannot run, we will use the bubbles/tunnels to make up for lack of run. The hogs need to get the run game going so we can get some play action passes. As others posted, if we can run our offense seems more comfortable and in rhythm.

We oftentimes abandon the run too early. But I get it, because it can be hard to stick with a slow methodical approach on offense when this team feeds off big plays and momentum. This is a very finicky team in terms of mindset. Easily swayed by big plays. Momentum affects this team more than most. NDSU game was perfect storm as UND had the momentum from the get-go.

Not to keep beating a dead horse here, but I think this finicky mindset is in part due to how they’re coached day in and day out. Players are conditioned to this. I keep hearing this is a player led group, which is good, but additional leadership would be nice (and is basically required if you want to be a deep playoff team). 

• Upvote 2