SiouxSports.com Forum

Indiana State @ UND 10/28/2023

SiouxFan100

Not pile on but what the hell.

End of half, 1st and ten at own 36 with 11 seconds and two timeouts left. Indiana State in soft prevent.

Time for 2, maybe 3 plays and admittingly low expectation of getting points.

1st down and we run an 8 yard out to the sideline. 2nd down a pass over the middle for 30 yards and the clock runs out.....with two timeouts left I question the first down play as the whole middle of the field was wide open. 

24 minutes ago, shep said:

Just saw the replay of their comeback.

On that possession when it took 2 plays to score from 50 yards we had Siegel behind his guy for the first big passing play.

Then there were at least 3 guys who blew tackles on the receiver who waltzed into the endjone.

We talk a lot about the flaws here, but tackling has to be the biggest problem. It's not often the first guy makes the tackle on most plays.

My recollection is this - the defense played like absolute dog-sh*t to end the game, but they did hold Indiana State in OT. The interception by Schuster late in the game just plain stunk. Good play by Indiana State on that one, tipping the ball on the attempted screen to Belquist. I guess that’s where a consistent running game (or at least a focus on it) comes in handy (don’t get too cute).

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

To be fair has there ever been a Vikings bandwagon to jump on? Also hard to compare the two teams because only one of them had many more epic let downs. Yet when all the Vikings fans have the team written off they find a way back and should beat a poor GB team this week to get back in the playoff hunt. Lesson of the day, Season isn’t over until it’s over! Vikings have no bandwagon fans because it’s that brutal being a fan…..

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Do I have this right - Offense scored 30 points in regular, drove 50+ yards in 50 seconds to tie the game and won it in overtime and some are saying the issues are our offense and QB ?

imagine if danny used that mindset on that last drive of using a. the middle of the field b. play up tempo c. chuck it downfield a bit d. tommy using his feet  e. using the damn TE!........for the whole game?!  we would've and should've won 49-10.

which danny do we get each week?

two-face-what-do-you-want.gif

• Like 1

Only other thing I didn't mentioned was the play calling and coaching. 

What has happened to Danny? Some of the play calls have been unbelievably atrocious!

And I may have missed something, but was there a penalty on ISU's XP that we declined? I was working in the garage and missed what happened, but if that is the case why wouldn't we make them kick again? Or maybe I had the call wrong. I just know there were some moments during the game where I was wondering if Bubba was even watching!

Though maybe Bubba too busy being frustrated with the officiating because that was pretty terrible too. The too many men on the field penalty when they didn't allow us time to change personnel made no sense. There was some other terrible calls as well. Nothing that excused that game ever being that close, overall that was on UND, but wow was it a weird game.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Only other thing I didn't mentioned was the play calling and coaching. 

What has happened to Danny? Some of the play calls have been unbelievably atrocious!

And I may have missed something, but was there a penalty on ISU's XP that we declined? I was working in the garage and missed what happened, but if that is the case why wouldn't we make them kick again? Or maybe I had the call wrong. I just know there were some moments during the game where I was wondering if Bubba was even watching!

Though maybe Bubba too busy being frustrated with the officiating because that was pretty terrible too. The too many men on the field penalty when they didn't allow us time to change personnel made no sense. There was some other terrible calls as well. Nothing that excused that game ever being that close, overall that was on UND, but wow was it a weird game.

I think the penalty you were thinking of was after the extra point. It was after the play so ISU hard to kick off 15 yards further back when they kicked off, which ended up setting us up on the 40 after Skokna's return. So no coaching mistake there. But the decision to go for 2 early was really dumb and could have cost us. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Every chart I've found says up 11 and XP coming you go for 1 to be up 12. Every

But then I noticed ... they all say down 11 and XP coming you go for ... two. 

Did someone misread a chart. 

This is the only thing I can think of.  I have tried to figure out a situation where it was that much better to be up by 13 rather that 12

1 minute ago, Big Green said:

This is the only thing I can think of.  I have tried to figure out a situation where it was that much better to be up by 13 rather that 12

11 is TD+2 plus FG.
12 forces 2 TDs. <- That 2 TDs is huge; make 'em go the distance twice, no FG range drives. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

At that end of the day we won the game and are still alive for a payoff home game.  If we would have beat NDSU in OT and blew out Indiana state we would be feeling pretty good right now.  Will the opposite happened and we are in the same spot.  

Just hoping this last close call was the wake up call this team needed and they finish the season strong.

• Like 1

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

11 is TD+2 plus FG.
12 forces 2 TDs. <- That 2 TDs is huge; make 'em go the distance twice, no FG range drives. 

You are comparing 11 pts vs 12.  My question is 12 pts vs 13.  Trying to figure out how Bubbas chart shows to go for 2 with up by 11.

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Upon further review, the throw to BB left Tommy's hand at the 28, exactly between the hashes. It was caught at the sideline, five yards into the endzone. Mr. Pythagorus says that's a 42 yard toss into a bucket by a "noodle arm". 

My friend is still wondering what his stats look like in big games against top competition??

Oh wait, we don't want to talk about those games :D:D

2 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

My friend is still wondering what his stats look like in big games against top competition??

Oh wait, we don't want to talk about those games :D:D

I kinda feel like when we &#33;@#&#036; the bed against better teams on the road it might be a scheme thing, where better teams just don't get beat as easily by screen plays.  There were quite a few situations in the Boise game that UND was moving the ball and bad play calling (imo) killed drives.