SiouxSports.com Forum

The UND @ South Dakota State 9/30/2023

SiouxFan100

Ok.. Ive marinated in the despair of the Boise game for long enough.  I still think this team has potential to make some noise.  I think we bounce back and Im excited to see how the crew responds to an obviously disappointing loss in another tough environment.  I wont rehash the kicking game challenges.  Im excited to see our running backs continue to improve.  The return of Skokna has brought some real excitement to that group, Ziebarth has done very well and I hope that Isaiah is recovering nicely on the bye week.  In addition to the passing game I really hope Danny takes what is given to him and pounds that rock!  Our o-line and RB's can get the job done.

33 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

In addition to the passing game I really hope Danny takes what is given to him and pounds that rock! 

I didn't see any of the Boise St. game, but it sounds like the run game was there for the taking, but we got too cute with things.  Hopefully lesson learned.  You don't need too many plays if you get 3 yards per run and sneak Quincy for 1 yard.

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I didn't see any of the Boise St. game, but it sounds like the run game was there for the taking, but we got too cute with things.  Hopefully lesson learned.  You don't need too many plays if you get 3 yards per run and sneak Quincy for 1 yard.

But you can't get behind and need to make no unforced errors. You can't run and be chasing the score. 

The little things this game guys:
-Making extra points. 
-Holding on to the football. 
-No drive extending penalties on special teams.
-Taking advantage of when the opposing QB throws the ball to your defensive backs. 

The rabbits are extremely beatable.  Montana State proved that.  Expecting a one score game in Brookings.  

UND sitting at #14 visiting the #1 team in FCS. This is a potential program changing type of game. I believe there are certain games that can change the projection of the program. Second game in a row, we get one.

Here's how I see it. My guess at the probable outcomes.

• 90% - Blow Out. The final score shows a game that was not competitive. A few mistakes, a few what could have been plays. Snowballs in the second half. 
  • 7% - Lose a competitive game. UND plays well, just got beat by a better team that day. 
  • 3% - Win

Until they prove that they can actually show up and play well in one of these games, hard to think we'll see anything different than the other type of performances we've seen under Bubba in these big-time games.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AJS said:

UND sitting at #14 visiting the #1 team in FCS. This is a potential program changing type of game. I believe there are certain games that can change the projection of the program. Second game in a row, we get one.

• 90% - Blow Out. The final score shows a game that was not competitive. A few mistakes, a few what could have been plays. Snowballs in the second half. 
  • 7% - Lose a competitive game. UND plays well, just got beat by a better team that day. 
  • 3% - Win

Until they prove that they can actually show up and play well in one of these games, hard to think we'll see anything different than the other type of performances we've seen under Bubba in these big-time games.  

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. The comment "a few mistakes and a few what could have been plays, snowballs in the 2nd half" is our basic script for these types of games.  I do think we are capable of winning, but until we show we can actually do it there is no way I'd put money on us to win. I think someone said the spread started at 17. Given our history there is no reason it should be much smaller than that. We did play well there two years ago, but SDSU is a better team, but yet we should be better than 2 years ago as well. 

I agree with the poster who said playing them now is better than later in the year, maybe they don't have all the kinks worked out yet with new coaching staff etc., but they will likely be rolling by the end of the year. It's time for us to make those game changing plays for once! 

• Upvote 2

(To the tune of Winter Wonderland, 1934)

Bunnnnyeez......are  you listening

Bunnnnyeez......keep your combines glistening

The Fighting Sioux are coming for you

They'll do you in 4

Singing it's song

Walking in a North Dakota Wonderland

Theeeres Only ONNNNNNEEE North Dakota
ONE. North Dakota.
We're walking along
Singing it's song
Walking in a North Dakota Wonderland.

4 hours ago, AJS said:

• 3% - Win

Jacks 70 - Drake 7 in the Hold my Beer Stat of the Bye Week brought to you by The GF Herald and Tom Miller's featured High Powered Offense of the week.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, shep said:

No offense, but Bison may be as good as SDSU

Right, SDSU so far maybe isn't looking quite as good as we would have thought, but still very very good. And NDSU is maybe better than we were thinking.  We have NDSU at home though, we gotta win that one. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kab said:

We need a good pregame speech before these games

maybe Jimmy K could do that and then play his touchdown against the biZonz

Usually the head coach can get that done, but, well, yeah …

Cant win big games, makes you wonder what’s being said (or not being said) …

“Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.” - Bill Belichick