SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

1 minute ago, ND-fan said:

I also going to respond to Sam Hagen why he left UND from what I was hearing. So many of you put it as not staying with coach but reality it’s the opposite for Hagen. He was not buying into the new coaches and what was expected or I should say how they approached what was expected  of and detail to the game. He was having trouble with detail of how offense line does things and new coaches it was all about Winona football not enough about UND football how things had been done and what needs to be done to win at Missouri valley level of play. I believe this was correct move for Sam if you can’t buy into what is being asked it’s time to move on. There were other little things that program wasn’t paying attention too that just add reasons for you to leave the program. Also Bubba did a few things last year that I believe upset the family some and it may not seem like much but Hagens are close knit family getting between player and his family is never good place to be. I don’t know total details but it didn’t help in retaining Sam Hagen.

This concerns me it was not just Hagen but another starter also left after spring football so there we will see how these new coaches approach works out this fall. Bubba I hope is following closely on the offense because if this goes south UND will struggle to maintain there foot hold in the top of Missouri Valley Conference. I just think Bubba hasn’t realized that players need to be recruited even after several years and if your changing things you better be communicating and giving them reasons to buying into the changes and here what there thinking because now it’s not like in past. players can move on with just going filling out transfer request and coaches from other teams are in ears of many these players. The rules on tampering  virtually don’t exist anymore and players are in control of where they are going to play. Coaching today is much more difficult a coach doesn’t have control they had over players and in FCS football has become the minor league teams that supply talent by developing potential players that were not ready to play FBS football and at same time trying to acquire talent that is available from FBS. 

LOL - dramatic.  

38 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I also going to respond to Sam Hagen why he left UND from what I was hearing. So many of you put it as not staying with coach but reality it’s the opposite for Hagen. He was not buying into the new coaches and what was expected or I should say how they approached what was expected  of and detail to the game. He was having trouble with detail of how offense line does things and new coaches it was all about Winona football not enough about UND football how things had been done and what needs to be done to win at Missouri valley level of play. I believe this was correct move for Sam if you can’t buy into what is being asked it’s time to move on. There were other little things that program wasn’t paying attention too that just add reasons for you to leave the program. Also Bubba did a few things last year that I believe upset the family some and it may not seem like much but Hagens are close knit family getting between player and his family is never good place to be. I don’t know total details but it didn’t help in retaining Sam Hagen.

This concerns me it was not just Hagen but another starter also left after spring football so there we will see how these new coaches approach works out this fall. Bubba I hope is following closely on the offense because if this goes south UND will struggle to maintain there foot hold in the top of Missouri Valley Conference. I just think Bubba hasn’t realized that players need to be recruited even after several years and if your changing things you better be communicating and giving them reasons to buying into the changes and here what there thinking because now it’s not like in past. players can move on with just going filling out transfer request and coaches from other teams are in ears of many these players. The rules on tampering  virtually don’t exist anymore and players are in control of where they are going to play. Coaching today is much more difficult a coach doesn’t have control they had over players and in FCS football has become the minor league teams that supply talent by developing potential players that were not ready to play FBS football and at same time trying to acquire talent that is available from FBS. 

Do you think if Bubba was gone and Danny Became head coach, retained Pawlek we would be in this postion with players leaving?

9 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Idk the validity to it but I had heard Bubba had told Sam that his family partied too hard during tailgate. 

I find that far-fetched. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GoHawks said:

Do you think if Bubba was gone and Danny Became head coach, retained Pawlek we would be in this postion with players leaving?

We had more talented players that chose to stay…. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don’t buy that Sam Haugen  family partied to hard and I never would believe that but they like to be together as family and it may have perceived taking Sam away from the team. I think Sam when talking to Izzo today that SDSU players were close and how they responded to him joining the team by shear number of them contacting him personally. He also mentioned number of players who were like him small town kids and coming from agriculture back ground.  This difference can only be answered by Haugens and coach Bubba. All I know is Sam expressed location being close to where his family can come see him is important but difference with new coaches had to be great and even Bubba relationship was not enough to keep him at UND. I have to believe there has to be some discussion between Bubba and new coaches loosing starting talent after spring ball is big blow to any football team.

3 hours ago, ND-fan said:

He was not buying into the new coaches and what was expected or I should say how they approached what was expected  of and detail to the game. He was having trouble with detail of how offense line does things and new coaches it was all about Winona football not enough about UND football how things had been done and what needs to be done to win at Missouri valley level of play. I believe this was correct move for Sam if you can’t buy into what is being asked it’s time to move on.

Wait, I thought the issue was the HC is stuck in his ways and doesn't allow coordinators run things their way? Now the issue is the new guys were doing things somewhat differently?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Idk the validity to it but I had heard Bubba had told Sam that his family partied too hard during tailgate. 

That would be in the plus category for me.......

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Wait, I thought the issue was the HC is stuck in his ways and doesn't allow coordinators run things their way? Now the issue is the new guys were doing things somewhat differently?

Bubba probably tried to sell how the new OC and oline coach was a good thing for the program. Bubba tied to act like it wasn’t a big deal that these coaches left, bubbas ignorance might be the reason for the disgruntlement 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Listened to Hagen's interview with Izzo today.  Sounds like he was offered by Montana and Coastal Carolina in addition to Jacks.  Said Pawlak leaving bothered him.  Also noted that he liked the small town and Agriculture feel to the SDSU campus.

2 minutes ago, NDRA said:

Listened to Hagen's interview with Izzo today.  Sounds like he was offered by Montana and Coastal Carolina in addition to Jacks.  Said Pawlak leaving bothered him.  Also noted that he liked the small town and Agriculture feel to the SDSU campus.

only thing i read in that statement is that he prefers his women on the bigger side...to each their own

34 minutes ago, Und246 said:

What does this reveal about Danny at SDSU recruiting a lineman away from UND? Seems awkward and disappointing. 

It says that he has a job to do...and he's going to be loyal to whomever signs his paychecks...

It is what it is...but it's a dog-eat-dog world nowadays and we better figure that out...

20 hours ago, shep said:

Here's a question:

Why would a ND boy like Hagen go to SDSU? Money? Title?

Different time, different priorities. Why does a player goes through spring ball (obviously knows he's going into the portal) and waste his time and his coaches. Walks away from his team. Okay it's about the $$$, different time, different priorities. UND took a chance on him and he walks away.  

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Different time, different priorities. Why does a player goes through spring ball (obviously knows he's going into the portal) and waste his time and his coaches. Walks away from his team. Okay it's about the $$$, different time, different priorities. UND took a chance on him and he walks away.  

Or he wanted to give the new coaches a chance.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I realize this is just a one-off comment, but this assumes that Bubba has tailgating police reporting to him because he certainly is never in the tailgating area. Also pretty sure they won Tailgater of the Game at least once. Third I frequented there and never saw anything close to being " partying too hard", often saw UND staff and player's parents stopping by.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Is there even such a thing? Other than sex, nudity, and puking….tailgates should be a little ? rowdy? Unless people get too drunk and offensive.

Just now, Mama Sue said:

Is there even such a thing? Other than sex, nudity, and puking….tailgates should be a little ? rowdy? Unless people get too drunk and offensive.

Oh I forgot women publicly peeing against a store wall on a public street.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I realize this is just a one-off comment, but this assumes that Bubba has tailgating police reporting to him because he certainly is never in the tailgating area. Also pretty sure they won Tailgater of the Game at least once. Third I frequented there and never saw anything close to being " partying too hard", often saw UND staff and player's parents stopping by.  

I randomly stopped by and chatted with them in the middle of the year.  They had a big group, big setup and lots of food.  Couldn't have been nicer to me.  One relative made laser cut keychains with the different UND logos from over the years.  He made sure I got a couple of the ones we used when I played and a few others too. 

Nothing going on with them that wasn't happening at a majority of the other tailgate parties. Maybe more effort into the food spread. Turkey dinner, venison steaks wrapped in bacon, etc.  After that I stopped by to say hi every week.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They had a great big tent for their tailgate. It's not far from our spots and I could see they drew a nice crowd. They could not consume more beers than our group.

• Upvote 1