SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

36 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Chaves didn’t play. His primary role is to oversee the athletic department and put our teams and coaches in a position to be successful. I believe our FB program has the necessary resources to be successful. He , and the selection committee, are responsible for hires. At this point in the season it accomplishes nothing to kick that dead horse again. Those issues need to be addressed at the end of each season. 

For those who have played, I doubt you  blamed others for lack of success.  If you did, that’s why you sucked.  When you were successful it was because you made it happen. 

Some may disagree, but the success and struggles are squarely on the shoulders of our players and coaches. 

Instant Classic in Bold!!

Chaves and football.......definitely not a visionary.  Jury still out on this team and season.  Frustrating how we can't play on the road......70 miles away.

• Upvote 1

Recruiting wins, or lack of them, is what is determining the ceiling of our success.  Some in-game decisions can be questioned but that is true everywhere.  Teams with more talent overcome those more often than we do.  We have to play a near flawless game to beat the SU's.  They don't need to against us or most other teams to still win.

I think our coaches must do a good job of development and game planning for us to be where we are most years.  Things wont really change until we figure out how to get more 'dudes' in the program.   We do win a few recruiting battles but not enough.  

It's evident on the front end in who we beat out for the kids we get and afterwards on how many move on to the NFL.  We identify the right talent but just don't get enough of them

players in NFL per ESPN:

NDSU - 11; SDSU - 6, UND - 1.  And Waletzko is first one in a long time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Why do all the other teams have a tall, athletic, strong-armed QB and UND does not, like ever?

Good question for our coaching staff. We had 3 here when we started fall camp. I thought they would start Feeney cuz he played well when given the chance. I thought he had  earned an opportunity to start unless one of the other 2 were clearly ahead of him. I also don’t like them not getting our backups more playing time.  Kaminski needs experience to develop. Feeney should have had more reps last year. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Chaves and football.......definitely not a visionary.  Jury still out on this team and season.  Frustrating how we can't play on the road......70 miles away.

Frustrating is certainly one word to use … amongst others.

4 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Good question for our coaching staff. We had 3 here when we started fall camp. I thought they would start Feeney cuz he played well when given the chance. I thought he had  earned an opportunity to start unless one of the other 2 were clearly ahead of him. I also don’t like them not getting our backups more playing time.  Kaminski needs experience to develop. Feeney should have had more reps last year. 

Tall, athletic, strong-armed quarterbacks … UND did not and does not currently have 3…

Jury is definitely still out on what Fruechte does with that position in the next 1-2 years though. 

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

I'm going to try and take a bit of a deep breath here and likely piss off both sides of this proverbial dead horse beatdown...

We are 4-2, and I think if you'd asked most sane fans prior to the season starting if they'd be happy being 4-2 going into the bye week that answer would have been a unanimous yes!

Does UND still control its own destiny?  100%!  Assuming we handle the teams we are supposed to handle between now and Nov. 9th (a not insignificant assumption)...we will find out a lot about our program the last three weeks of the year.  We get both SD schools at home back-to-back weeks (we are 3 tds better in the Alerus) and then what could set up to be a massive road game at ISU-Red to end the season (ISU currently 4-2 with a very similar resume to us but they avoid both SD schools).  Win 1 of those 3 games and we are in the playoffs at 8-4 in a 12-game year.  Win 2 of 3 and we may be in contention for a seed.  Win all 3 and we'll definitely be seeded.  It's all still there for the taking.

That said...here's the rest of the story the way I see it...

Did we look scared/shell shocked/crappy in yet another bigtime road game (at NDSU)?  Yes...at some point even the most ardent of Bubba supporters have to look themselves in the mirror and realize that this is a problem that won't ever be fixed without wholesale changes.

What we are doing with the QB position is killing me.  The Romfo story is a feel-good tale no doubt...but my eyes just tell me he's not the guy!  Are we really going to run out a former MN and WI HS player of the year for this?!?!  Because it sure seems that we are good with that.  Coaches aren't idiots...and I have to remember that this offensive staff didn't recruit any of these guys...but this is D1 football...at some point you need to see what you have in Kaminsky.  I get that Romfo won the job in practice...but how you play in games needs to matter.  He got his completion percentage up on Saturday...but to turn it over the first play of the second half was just a killer.  I just want a QB that can let it rip, stand in the pocket and hit open receivers (like Miller did all day)...is that too much to ask??

That said...our defense might kill me first.  Zero pressure...receivers running wide open.  It's time to adopt a new scheme...because what we are doing now clearly isn't working.  This is not the first time I've said that on this forum.

I sure as hell hope we go 10-2 and I eat these words...but, like Saturday, I have very little confidence that we do better than 8-4.  And we'll need to do at least that well...because unless they figure something out in Missoula our Montana win will lose a fair amount of luster between now and November.  I just lack confidence in this program to go out and take what's there for the taking based on all the let downs of the prior decade.  It bothers me...but apparently doesn't bother those who are in charge.  Somehow Bubba and company still have the ability to go out and change the narrative on this.  They're lucky to have the patient superiors they do.  I hope they find a way to take advantage of it.

Agree with all of this. 

Two major issues are:

1) defense 

2) passing game 

In my opinion, one of the above is glaring and certainly of greater importance than the other right now, and it has to do with the background of the head coach and his disciples currently on staff. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Recruiting wins, or lack of them, is what is determining the ceiling of our success.

The new facilities coming online soon will help in this area. But the question is, will the coaching staff get the most out of them? And will they know how to use them?

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Tall, athletic, strong-armed quarterbacks … UND did not and does not currently have 3…

Jury is definitely still out on what Fruechte does with that position in the next 1-2 years though. 

We had Feeney, Kaminski and the freshman Sulik. We did, we don’t  anymore.
Fruechte needs to be reminded that TE’s are eligible receivers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Who is the one that gives coaches with .500 winning records endless contract extensions?

I'd say that person definitely has a role in the lack of success from our athletic programs. 

I see no point in kicking that dead horse now. That is why I said it should be addressed at the end of the season. Yes the AD has ultimate responsibility but my response was to the comment that it was entirely on Chaves. No one is going to fire any coach nor administrator in the middle of this FB season. I wouldn’t have approved a contract extension either, but winners find a way to win despite the obstacles.  Successful teams/organizations don’t tolerate players/ employees who complain and always blame someone else. 
Chaves is accountable for coaching hires but it’s on those coaches and players to execute and be successful. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

This is exactly my point.  As for Chaves addressing the issues at the end of the season - this has led to two extensions before his contract was up.  That is my point.  Clearly Chaves thinks Bubba is the way to go - as for the specific game vs the Bison - Bubba has given us exactly what he has shown throughout his career at UND for road games.  I know Chaves didn't play - but he has Bubba's entire body of work to look at and clearly he thinks this is fine.  I don't think anyone (except maybe Chaves) is surprised that Bubba and Co. laid an egg again Saturday.  Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  Bubba clearly is not going to change and apparently neither is Chaves.  

I understand, but my point is that this is our staff and these are the players that played and coached Saturday. Chaves must accept responsibility for program success or lack there of. Saturday isn’t totally responsible for UND getting beat. That is primarily on the players and coaches. 

47 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

We had Feeney, Kaminski and the freshman Sulik. We did, we don’t  anymore.

Those three - Feeney, Kaminiski, and Sulik - have a lot to prove yet, and also have questionable physique to what NDSU and SDSU puts out there at QB, and of course Feeney is now gone.

TE screen to Vaughn was a nice play call during Fargo game. Recurrent TE theme on here but perhaps the current tight ends just aren’t that talented?  Certainly need more big plays out the quarterback position, but the offensive line and skill position players also needed to be better, with the exception of maybe Belquist and Ziebarth, versus Fargo U. 

All in all, defense is still the major issue here. 

59 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

... unless covered by WR. Mike Berg thought he saw at least one of those calls missed. 

On 10/6/2024 at 9:23 AM, Irish said:

Bubba's gonna Bubba - he is hardwired - this is totally on Chaves.  

Yep, and meanwhile the SUs will have their game broadcast nationally on an ESPN network.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Those three - Feeney, Kaminiski, and Sulik - have a lot to prove yet, and also have questionable physique to what NDSU and SDSU puts out there at QB, and of course Feeney is now gone.

TE screen to Vaughn was a nice play call during Fargo game. Recurrent TE theme on here but perhaps the current tight ends just aren’t that talented?  Certainly need more big plays out the quarterback position, but the offensive line and skill position players also needed to be better, with the exception of maybe Belquist and Ziebarth, versus Fargo U. 

From what I hear the Coaching staff is not too upset with Feeney being gone.  

Another interesting thing.  I was talking with a former UND QB about this time last year about how deep our QB room was. I was talking to him about how Tommy had another year of eligibility, Feeney looking good and the good things being said about Jerry.  He told me to not forget about Romfo.  I thought he was crazy as I thought he was about 4th on the depth chart when I comes to starting a game.  It tells me that Simon didn't come out on nowhere to become the starter.

15 minutes ago, Big Green said:

.  He told me to not forget about Romfo.  I thought he was crazy as I thought he was about 4th on the depth chart when I comes to starting a game.  It tells me that Simon didn't come out on nowhere to become the starter.

Maybe true, 6th game in, we should no longer see deer in headlights. Especially 3 to 5 step drops.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agree defense is the major issue. Whether you run a 3-4 or a 4-3, the front 7 need to stop the run and pressure the QB. Our DB’s are improved especially at safety. 

It seems like we recruit 4-5 TE’s every year. A number of them are very good athletes. We just don’t use them. I’ve spent time with coaches at every level from HS on up. Virtually every one of them stated you need to get your TE’s into your passing game or else you are easier to defend. 

The UNI game turned into a must win. The team needs to regain momentum and confidence. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

... unless covered by WR. Mike Berg thought he saw at least one of those calls missed. 

That’s on the WR. Happens a lot in the NFL and often ignored. They also ignore the rule about being set instead of running in place but I digress. 

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Why do all the other teams have a tall, athletic, strong-armed QB and UND does not, like ever?

Sometimes I wonder what Studsrud could have done under a competent OC. He had his flaws but think a competent OC could have got a lot out of him. 

I was really rooting for Romfo. I know I was hoping he’d at least have a package sprinkled in but it’s pretty clear he can’t be our QB1. The scary thing to me is what does that mean for what’s behind him? Jerry has the hype but maybe he just doesn’t actually have it. No idea on Sulik and Hentges would be a shocker if he ever gets legitimate PT at QB. And then there isn’t a QB in the 2025 class, right now. Maybe they’ll go the transfer portal route, which I’m not a fan of. 

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Who is going to beat SU in Fargo - there is one school in the country who has a chance at that. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Who is going to beat SU in Fargo - there is one school in the country who has a chance at that. 

It can happen

dont know by who or when