SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

The ones we are after are still in the portal no?

Yes, all the players we've discussed here (other than Kraws, who I think would have been more of a "Plan B" option for us) and possibly Howard (though he prob already knew where he was going when he entered portal).

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I'd hope that we are after Persson.  With the right team in front of him look out.  

Yes him or Haider I think we do very well here.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Data in its entirety"......look no further than that career season stats of some that got major minutes this season at the expense of others and you'll glean into why this team didn't host a NCHC quarterfinal series and missed the NCAAs. 6 or 18 were not going to be the next Sanderson or Boeser but anyone who has followed this team for 4 years knew what 10 19 27 and 28 were going to give you. 

Maybe the guys who sat more the second half of they year would have got more run if the team wasn't so far behind the 8-ball from when they were in the lineup the first half?
I mean, seems like the team was consistently playing better when they mostly switched the focus to the guys who were less of a defensive liability. Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Is the coaching staff aware the portal is open? I'm needing some sort of positive hockey news at the moment.

At least the Wild have been fun to watch!

Remember, a lot of these portal guys are gonna have a good chunk of offers and that includes visits to UND. I get things are stressful, but we all gotta calm the eff down lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Remember, a lot of these portal guys are gonna have a good chunk of offers and that includes visits to UND. I get things are stressful, but we all gotta calm the eff down lol.

Exactly. We can’t just snap our fingers and have a commitment. Gotta successfully recruit them first! 

6 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Exactly. We can’t just snap our fingers and have a commitment. Gotta successfully recruit them first! 

To say nothing of the fact that we ss.com experts ought to have some say in the matter.  

48 minutes ago, burd said:

How do you assess goalies?   They are all so weird, as you well know. 

Man, I've been waiting forever for someone else to point this out. I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Like catchers in baseball, goalies are the only ones facing the wrong way.

26 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Just for reference. Previous committed dates.

• DeRidder: March 26
  • Farmer: April 6
  • Ford: April 7
  • Driscoll: April 9
  • Jandric: April 10
  • Calder: April 21
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Maybe the guys who sat more the second half of they year would have got more run if the team wasn't so far behind the 8-ball from when they were in the lineup the first half?
I mean, seems like the team was consistently playing better when they mostly switched the focus to the guys who were less of a defensive liability. Just a thought.

So your "thought" is guys like 6 18 21.....just to name a couple.....put this team behind the 8 ball in the first half? That is ballsy to suggest but hey.....

1 hour ago, burd said:

How do you assess goalies?   They are all so weird, as you well know. 

30 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Man, I've been waiting forever for someone else to point this out. I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Like catchers in baseball, goalies are the only ones facing the wrong way.

Such harsh views for such an important position....:lol:

Can the internet please delete the pictures of Hellsten with candles lit on the bench meditating please???  PLEASE?????

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Don't cherry pick numbers.....18 had 21 points his Fr season.  More than in any season for 10 19 28. The fact he dropped to 3 is more on mismanagement of the coaches than him. 

10 came into the season with a season high of 11 points through 4 years. Guess he paid his dues.

He says, as he then ....... cherry picks numbers.

I just pointed out what the two different players did during their first two seasons at school.  Since one of the kids decided to stay only two seasons, I'm not sure how more complete my numbers could have been.

But speaking of cherry picking, yeah, Hain had a high of 11 points through four years, the latter two of which he spent substantial time off the ice due to injuries.  When the kid finally stayed healthy, he had a nice final year with us.  Hain wasn't seeing a bunch of time on the power play.  He was killing penalties and playing a checking role.  I'd take his season over MC's in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

"Data in its entirety"......look no further than that career season stats of some that got major minutes this season at the expense of others and you'll glean into why this team didn't host a NCHC quarterfinal series and missed the NCAAs. 6 or 18 were not going to be the next Sanderson or Boeser but anyone who has followed this team for 4 years knew what 10 19 27 and 28 were going to give you. 

Well stated. Can't imagine a scoring explosion from 28 next year, based on historicals. 28 coming back eating into time/development from a guy like 29?? Time will tell.

25 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So your "thought" is guys like 6 18 21.....just to name a couple.....put this team behind the 8 ball in the first half? That is ballsy to suggest but hey.....

I'm not pointing out anyone specific, it is obviously a team sport and not a single person's issue
Just pointing out that lineup and style of play shifted and the team started having better results. Don't think that's all that controversial of an observation.

People complain Berry can't adapt or change style, yet there was a definite shift mid-season and people then people complained that the ones who were in the lineup when UND was winning less weren't getting their shot when they were winning more.

This isn't a knock on a single player, I am disappointed when anyone transfers out. But there's usually a solid reason and they understand their role going forward.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AJS said:

Some people. Let's lay this out for everyone. Talking anything Pre-Motzko wouldn't make sense, agreed? How many years would you give someone that took over a program to turn it around? The last year I would say they struggled (16-14-7) was 2019-2020. Can we all make the assumption that the current more recent version of Minnesota is more likely to continue than the one the first two years he took over? What are we doing here?

I was just “laying out” that it definitely does matter who stays and who goes. And that DU, Minny, and Mich are not top ten every year regardless. That’s all. And I =+*^%# hate the rodents so I took a little extra jab at them specifically. This is a Sioux forum

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

I was just “laying out” that it definitely does matter who stays and who goes. And that DU, Minny, and Mich are not top ten every year regardless. That’s all. And I =+*^%# hate the rodents so I took a little extra jab at them specifically. This is a Sioux forum

This x 100!!! Denver, Michigan and the Goofs are not immune to the impact of early departures, no team is. I know it's been a tough year all around for UND athletics, but we are not going away......as much as Rodentia would like it to happen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This x 100!!! Denver, Michigan and the Goofs are not immune to the impact of early departures, no team is. I know it's been a tough year all around for UND athletics, but we are not going away......as much as Rodentia would like it to happen.

Agreed we aren’t going away. But we will need to change our recruiting strategy. I think we need to go older. 

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

He says, as he then ....... cherry picks numbers.

I just pointed out what the two different players did during their first two seasons at school.  Since one of the kids decided to stay only two seasons, I'm not sure how more complete my numbers could have been.

But speaking of cherry picking, yeah, Hain had a high of 11 points through four years, the latter two of which he spent substantial time off the ice due to injuries.  When the kid finally stayed healthy, he had a nice final year with us.  Hain wasn't seeing a bunch of time on the power play.  He was killing penalties and playing a checking role.  I'd take his season over MC's in a heartbeat.

We will agree to disagree that Hain had a "nice final year". Hain was a -10 this season. He wasn't in a checking role.....he played top 6 minutes all season and had 19 points.

My point is Constantini had 21 points his Fr year. A higher season total than 10 and 19 had in any of their five years and 28 in his four years. Irrelevant now since 18 had enough and is gone. If only 10 had a 6th year I guess.

2 hours ago, burd said:

To say nothing of the fact that we ss.com experts ought to have some say in the matter.  

What's the "we" crap?

I don't see you 'round the board room table studying "the white board of portals and roster management" and making recommendations and evaluations with @Wilbur, @stoneySIOUX, @Oxbow6, @MafiaMan, and @Blackheart. With me there's just six of us showing up, so we're getting tie votes. I'd rather, as board chair, only have to vote to break ties. Start showing up. And it's your turn to bring "refreshments". If you don't we're declaring your seat open and will be accepting nominations*.

*Beware: @Godsmackis quietly lobbying using the words "Grain" and "Belt" as his campaign slogan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Such harsh views for such an important position....:lol:

Can the internet please delete the pictures of Hellsten with candles lit on the bench meditating please???  PLEASE?????

Catcher. Goalies. The wearers of the tools of ignorance. 

Disclaimer: I was the emergency catcher and emergency goalie. Words here about me and beach ball. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What's the "we" crap?

I don't see you 'round the board room table studying "the white board of portals and roster management" and making recommendations and evaluations with @Wilbur, @stoneySIOUX, @Oxbow6, @MafiaMan, and @Blackheart. With me there's just six of us showing up, so we're getting tie votes. I'd rather, as board chair, only have to vote to break ties. Start showing up. And it's your turn to bring "refreshments". If you don't we're declaring your seat open and will be accepting nominations*.

*Beware: @Godsmackis quietly lobbying using the words "Grain" and "Belt" as his campaign slogan. 

As board chairperson please feel free to vouch that I know very little and even less than that on most things.