SiouxSports.com Forum

The "NODAK" Trademark

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

It sure would be nice to have a unique nickname...

You are correct. But frankly, once the NCAA made us drop the Brien logo it doesn’t matter. We are the Fighting Hawks which is better than some. It’s never been about a logo or name to me. It’s all about success of our programs. The logo/name nonsense remains divisive. It does UND no good. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Uncle Andy was on Plain Talk with Port discussing the TM fiasco. So glad he's leading the university my daughter attends.......

<eye roll>

Andy found out a week and a half ago after a call from NDUS/SBHE in Bismarck? Interesting. 

20 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Nodak jerseys were used before? Andy says so

Not "Nodak" but "No Daks" was used: https://und.edu/about/history.html

fritz-pollard-300x300.jpg

Fritz Pollard, Jr. was a member of the U.S. Track and Field Team at the 1936 Olympics during Hitler's reign. Pollard and six other black U.S. athletes put Hitler in an embarrassing position after winning 12 medals.

Edit: Did basketball use a "Nodak" jersey at one point?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Andy found out a week and a half ago after a call from NDUS/SBHE in Bismarck? Interesting. 

Exactly.....Must have has weeks  of meetings with professors as to why it is still unsafe for them to actually teach in person. 

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Can you explain this to me like I'm a Bison fan?  Not sure what the significance of that difference is.

Sure.  He's my (maybe fictional) account of how this came out.

On Sunday November 20, Matt Larson of NDSU calls his boss David Cook.  He knows he's in for a **itstorm about screwing over an in-state school in the FCS playoffs, so he's desperate for a distraction.   Cook helps him out with news about a NDSBoHE agenda item about NODAKS.  Suggests that deflecting pressure off NDSU and onto UND is a good strategy.

Matt Larson of NDSU calls Rob Port.  Gives him the good news about a story lead, and asks him to throw some shade at UND.

Port researches article.  Takes longer than Larson and Cook would like, but it succeeds in moving the heat from NDSU to UND.

PS.  Like most, I would like to know about how all the Benjamins moved between the Berry's, UND, REA, and vendors.

Armacost said he hasn't spoken to Berry about his involvement, if any, in the formation of the business entity or the registration of the trademark. Asked if UND planned any further review of the matter to ensure that policies promoting ethics, and prohibiting conflicts of interest, had been followed, Armacost said the matter was "resolved" by transferring the trademark.

The issue seems to have been resolved. Berry isn't getting fired like some on her have dreamed. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You're by far in the minority on that opinion, at least in the Grand Forks community.

The overwhelming majority of people who've interacted with him either personally or professionally or both have nothing exemplary reviews of him and the job he's doing. 

I’m not sure what you were trying to say in your last paragraph. If you meant to say “nothing but exemplary…” I would agree. Almost all alumni I have spoken with, including those from GF, have been impressed with Andy. I would concur. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Port follows up with patting himself on the back and more questions that paint a far more nefarious picture than what likely happened.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/nchc/port-und-now-owns-nodak-trademark-says-it-didnt-cost-them-anything

It's clickbait garbage.

Headline misrepresents that UND "now owns trademark" while article concedes "[Nodak] LLC has expressly acknowledged the University's existing rights in the NODAK mark as the senior user."  UND owned it all along, even according to the LLC that registered the trademark.

Registration of a trademark doesn't necessarily mean ownership.  If I registered (recorded) a Warranty Deed in Ward County today claiming to own Rob Port's house, does that mean I am automatically the owner?

4 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I’m not sure what you were trying to say in your last paragraph. If you meant to say “nothing but exemplary…” I would agree. Almost all alumni I have spoken with, including those from GF, have been impressed with Andy. I would concur. 

Correct. I missed a slightly important word there...Edited to fix it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The State AG's office.
The NDUS/SBHE offices.

Next up will probably be the State Auditor (don't get between him and a camera).
And the Legislature surely will not let this pass. 

Other than that, nobody. 

Pretty sure a few in the state legislature knew about this "nothingburger" well before Andy. That's always a good look.

15 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

"[Nodak] LLC has expressly acknowledged the University's existing rights in the NODAK mark as the senior user." 

If NODAK LLC "acknowledged the University's existing rights in the NODAK mark as the senior user", why'd they waste their time and money taking a junior or inferior position? What's to gain from that? 

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Port follows up with patting himself on the back and more questions that paint a far more nefarious picture than what likely happened.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/nchc/port-und-now-owns-nodak-trademark-says-it-didnt-cost-them-anything

Port doubling down his own shitballyness is nothing new.

Maybe what he should double down on is his child support issues.

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

You are correct. But frankly, once the NCAA made us drop the Brien logo it doesn’t matter. We are the Fighting Hawks which is better than some. It’s never been about a logo or name to me. It’s all about success of our programs. The logo/name nonsense remains divisive. It does UND no good. 

You are 100% correct that this nickname divisiveness does UND no good. Berry and company (hockey program, REA) need to get fully on board with the nickname change. There is no reason that a freshman hockey player tells a reporter that he plays "Fighting Sioux hockey" when they haven't been the fighting sioux for years.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1